Your Top 10 Red Wings Prospects

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I like this list the best in terms of probability of making the NHL based on what we've seen so far. I'd probably flip 8 & 9 because McIsaac has injury concerns.

Johansson is so underrated on this board.... I think he's got a batter shot than Berggren or Veleno.

You make 2 really good points. I had a hard time rating Tuomisto as I still have not seen him play.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I'm surprised I'm the only one here with Viro on his list at the moment. The kid's skating ability alone will make him a sure bet to at least be a #7 D-man in the NHL some day.

I think a lot of us just haven't seen him play or know enough about it. I am really looking forward to watching him play at the WJC.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
1 Seider
2 Raymond
3 Johansson
4 Berggren
5 Veleno
6 Niederbach
7 Mastrosimone (will be a PPG once BU starts - that’s a guaranShee)
8 Wallinder
9 Tuomisto
10 Soderblom

Plus guys like Viro, Sebrango, Hanas, Grewe, Phillips, Moore, Berglund, Petruzzeli, Larsson, Barton, Kivenmaki, Stange... that’s a system with real depth. Then factor in the are-they-still-prospects guys like Ras, Lindstrom, Cholowsk and Givani. The young core is there.

We need a few guys to surprise us and become stars.

I love the Detroit Red Wings so much.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like this list the best in terms of probability of making the NHL based on what we've seen so far. I'd probably flip 8 & 9 because McIsaac has injury concerns.

Johansson is so underrated on this board.... I think he's got a batter shot than Berggren or Veleno.

Dude, every single one of the guys who posted before you had Johansson in the top 5.
At best you have where? 3rd? Obviously behind Seider/Raymond, right?
So he can't be **that** underrated.

When you say "better shot" than Berggren or Veleno, do you mean "better shot to make it" or "better shot" (like slapper/wrister)?

I thought about dropping Veleno lower in my ranking with the season Berggren's had. But, I've also seen Veleno a bit in the AHL, which makes me trust him a bit more. Plus he's a center.
I definitely want to see Johansson take a step forward and think he could easily move up the rankings.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he keeps progressing I’ll be surprised if Petruzzelli isn’t in everyone’s Top 10 by the end of the year... Off to a great start, first 6 games 1.5 GAA .940 SV 1 SO
I looked further into this...

4 of his 6 games were against Holy Cross and Sacred Heart. Against the one real team they've played, Bowling Green, Keith let in 2 and 3 goals in those 2 games. So his stat appears to be based on a limited sample size against weak teams.

We'll see how he looks when the ECAC schedule starts in January. He posted a 2.01 GAA last season in 34 games, and that's pretty good for a college goalie.

In any case, they have a pretty decent hockey page with stats and what not. Better than most schools.
2020-21 Men's Ice Hockey Schedule - Quinnipiac University Athletics

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dude, every single one of the guys who posted before you had Johansson in the top 5.
At best you have where? 3rd? Obviously behind Seider/Raymond, right?
So he can't be **that** underrated.

When you say "better shot" than Berggren or Veleno, do you mean "better shot to make it" or "better shot" (like slapper/wrister)?

I thought about dropping Veleno lower in my ranking with the season Berggren's had. But, I've also seen Veleno a bit in the AHL, which makes me trust him a bit more. Plus he's a center.
I definitely want to see Johansson take a step forward and think he could easily move up the rankings.
Better shot to make it. I think Johansson's game will translate to the NHL game, not as sure with Berggren. Certainly both are doing much better than Veleno in the same league, I have no idea why he's #3 on some lists.

Veleno is questionable at this point as is anyone ranked below him.

Also, I totally forgot about Smith. While he's got a low ceiling, he's more than likely to make the league, though it might be with Seattle.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Better shot to make it. I think Johansson's game will translate to the NHL game, not as sure with Berggren. Certainly both are doing much better than Veleno in the same league, I have no idea why he's #3 on some lists.

Also, I totally forgot about Smith. While he's got a low ceiling, he's more than likely to make the league, though it might be with Seattle.

I think Veleno is pretty much a sure thing. The question is how good. I think 15-15-30 3C is a reasonable expectation, to be honest.
But I can see him popping off for quite a bit more than that..

As much as I like Johansson, I don't think he's close to a sure thing yet. I still think, in a lot of ways, he's as much a project as Tuomisto - but the skating is very close to elite, which gives me a lot of confidence.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm surprised I'm the only one here with Viro on his list at the moment. The kid's skating ability alone will make him a sure bet to at least be a #7 D-man in the NHL some day.

I've seen some highlights and a half dozen shifts from his warmup game the other night, so small sample size, but nothing really impressed me. That's not even really a knock on him. I generally just don't rank prospects drafted after the second round until they are at least mostly through their first post-draft year and have shown something. Viro wasn't drafted high enough (nor ranked high enough pre-draft) for me to think much of him. He has to out-perform his draft slot before he's on my radar.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think Veleno is pretty much a sure thing. The question is how good. I think 15-15-30 3C is a reasonable expectation, to be honest.
But I can see him popping off for quite a bit more than that..

As much as I like Johansson, I don't think he's close to a sure thing yet. I still think, in a lot of ways, he's as much a project as Tuomisto - but the skating is very close to elite, which gives me a lot of confidence.

I just about agree with all of this. Johansson isn't really a project though. With Johansson, he either makes the transition to NA pro and the NHL, or he doesn't. The skills and tools are there though. It's just, can he adapt as he moves up? A lot of guys in his shoes don't. Tuomisto, meanwhile, is more of the classic project. He needs to improve his skating and learn to play in his own end. Developmentally, he's significantly behind Johansson, despite being the exact same age. He doesn't have an NHL game yet. Johansson, not to say he doesn't have room for improvement, does.

If Johansson and Tuomisto swapped their heights and weights, one would have been a top-10 pick and the other a 5th rounder.

Reactions: MBH

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1. Raymond
2. Spider
3. Veleno
4.Berrggren
5. Johansson
6. Wallinder
7. Niederbach
8. Tuomisto
9. Lindstrom
10. McIsaac

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Loose tiers for my rankings. I think currently it's unmotivated to have Raymond above Seider.

1. Seider

2. Raymond

3. Berggren
4. Johansson
5. Veleno

6. Wallinder
7. Niederbach
8. Mastrosimone

9. Tuomisto
10. Petruzzeli

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

People rank Veleno highly because hes eventually dominated every level hes played at and recognise that he does more than just produce offense to show his value. Hopping over to a bad team in a league hes never played in before for 20 games vs a guy whose played in that league for years and is only an offensive player isnt a fair comparison.

Veleno was nasty in the Q, is elite on the PK, led Canada in mins in the WJC last year en route to gold and has some offense to go with it. Hes definitely deserving of being ranked 3rd. I'm fine with people putting Johansson or Berggren above him but saying no idea why Veleno could be third is outrageous

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People rank Veleno highly because hes eventually dominated every level hes played at and recognise that he does more than just produce offense to show his value. Hopping over to a bad team in a league hes never played in before for 20 games vs a guy whose played in that league for years and is only an offensive player isnt a fair comparison.

Veleno was nasty in the Q, is elite on the PK, led Canada in mins in the WJC last year en route to gold and has some offense to go with it. Hes definitely deserving of being ranked 3rd. I'm fine with people putting Johansson or Berggren above him but saying no idea why Veleno could be third is outrageous

I have ceiling questions at this point. But he is going to be a quality NHL player. Hopefully he can become a Lars Eller type in terms of role.

Reactions: Winger98

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Alright, I'll put this out there as my pick for the prospect who is poised to move up the most in the next year or two....

The prospect everyone is sleeping on is not Johansson, or Veleno. These guys are top-5 on almost everyone's lists. It's Robert Mastrosimone. I think everyone probably has him ranked too low, including myself, and especially those who have him outside their top-10. A prospect not often discussed, Mastrosimone is a fan favorite for those who watch him. His skating isn't bad, but it isn't great either. It's something he'll have to continue to work on, but he's one of those players who's lack of elite skating ability is mitigated, and often not even noticed, given his elite work ethic, compete, and confidence. Not very exciting qualities? Fine, but they are supplemented by a high hockey IQ, high skill, and an excellent shot.

This kid drives the pace and makes players around him better. To borrow a military term, he's a force multiplier. He consistently wins board battles against bigger guys, never hesitates to block shots, and never stops, always going through walls. Selfless and coachable. He also always seems to raise his game in playoffs, tournaments, and otherwise big games. He has what many message board hockey fans hate to hear: all the intangibles... but with enough skill added to the mix to be a middle-6 winger. He has the makeup to be very versatile, able to move up and down the lineup. Edit: And after writing all that, I feel like I could also have been pretty nearly describing Tyler Bertuzzi.

I expect Mastrosimone to move himself up a tier in the next year or two, into that grouping with Berggren, Veleno, and Johansson. If you have him ranked outside your top-10, you're sleeping on him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Alright, I'll put this out there as my pick for the prospect who is poised to move up the most in the next year or two....

The prospect everyone is sleeping on is not Johansson, or Veleno. These guys are top-5 on almost everyone's lists. It's Robert Mastrosimone. I think everyone probably has him ranked too low, including myself, and especially those who have him outside their top-10. A prospect not often discussed, Mastrosimone is a fan favorite for those who watch him. His skating isn't bad, but it isn't great either. It's something he'll have to continue to work on, but he's one of those players who's lack of elite skating ability is mitigated, and often not even noticed, given his elite work ethic, compete, and confidence. Not very exciting qualities? Fine, but they are supplemented by a high hockey IQ, high skill, and an excellent shot.

This kid drives the pace and makes players around him better. To borrow a military term, he's a force multiplier. He consistently wins board battles against bigger guys, never hesitates to block shots, and never stops, always going through walls. Selfless and coachable. He also always seems to raise his game in playoffs, tournaments, and otherwise big games. He has what many message board hockey fans hate to hear: all the intangibles... but with enough skill added to the mix to be a middle-6 winger. He has the makeup to be very versatile, able to move up and down the lineup. Edit: And after writing all that, I feel like I could also have been pretty nearly describing Tyler Bertuzzi.

I expect Mastrosimone to move himself up a tier in the next year or two, into that grouping with Berggren, Veleno, and Johansson. If you have him ranked outside your top-10, you're sleeping on him.

This would be the year for him to take that step.

To me, one of the stories of this list is who's not on it. The next 5-6 prospects, or more.
At RWC i did the same post but with 15 prospects, and still left off a couple prospects I like. From 11-15 I have Smith, Soderblom, Hanas, Phillips and Petruzelli.
Beyond that are Grewe, Tuomisto (I should have him my top 15 for f***s sake), Viro, Stange, Sebrango, Tyutyaev, Kivenmaki, yada yada

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

doesn't help that his team has yet to play any games this year

he should get some more opportunity to shine this year but it's almost January and we're still waiting to see what happens

not his fault obviously,but most of the prospects people have above him have been playing for months now

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Fair enough, he plays on a crappy team. But I will mention that there are a lot of players who were dominant in juniors that didn't pan out in the NHL, for example, Bowey was a PPG player in juniors. He even did well in the AHL, putting up more points in his first season than Veleno did. So the jury is still out on Veleno.

Johansson is only 19, plays a solid defensive game with some puck skills. If he could add some bulk, I'm willing to bet he makes the NHL before Veleno does, despite being younger.

Also, Berggren is 6 months younger than Veleno... I just don't know how his game will translate to the NHL, I guess I'm just not that big on playmaking wingers (5G 19A). His success will depend highly on his linemates, whereas Johansson looks like he could be paired up with a stay at home D and be successful as a second pair.

I tend to rank prospects on probability of making the NHL. I think a lot of people here rank more on ceiling, but I also think Johansson has a higher upside offensively than most here. I admit to sleeping on Smith, he's an NHLer, though I have his ceiling really low (3rd line at best).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1.) Raymond
2.) Seider
3.) Johansson
4.) Berggren
5.) Veleno
6.) Wallinder
7.) Neiderbach (I think he winds up top 3 with graduates of a couple soon and how good he is.)
8.) Mastrosimone
9.) Tuomisto
10.) McIsaac (his health is really concerning at this point as is his missed development time. Hopefully he can rebound like Berggren)

This is probably what I’d have. I’ve more recently started to think Johansson is the gem in that group of guys after Raymond/Seider. I’ve also cooled on Veleno some since his last year in the Q.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Seider
Raymond
Johansson
Berggren
Niederbach
Veleno
Wallinder
Mastrosimone
Soderblom
Viro

God our NA scouting is awful.

Reactions: Gniwder

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Found it hard to rank the back half of top 10, theres a dozen guys worthy of 5-10 ranks. I think Soderblom just blasted through the whole field with that showing.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
1. Seider
2. Raymond
3. Veleno
4. Berggren
5. Johansson
6. Wallinder
7. Niederbach
8. Söderblom
9. McIsaac
10. Mastrosimone
---
11. Sebrango
12. Lindström
13. Kivenmäki
14. Tuomisto
15. Petruzzelli

Veleno and Berggren are very close but I think Berggren might have a rough time adjusting to the NHL while Veleno is quite ready to take on a role. I think Söderblom has such great tools to become a really solid player, just needs time to put it all together and hopefully a bit more trust from the Frölunda coaches.

Stange and also Cotton could be potential risers going forward. Overage picks so maybe not as recognized but both already have a track record of offensive production. Stange seems like a great athlete and has strong fundamental skills.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider
Raymond
Johansson
Berggren
Niederbach
Veleno
Wallinder
Mastrosimone
Soderblom
Viro

God our NA scouting is awful.
I mentioned in the '19 draft that Stevie was leaning heavily on European scouting and that there would be a shakeup on the NA side. I was flamed as usual, told I was reading too much into it. Then Stevie revamped the scouting dept...

We'll see how the new staff does, but they did little to impress me by picking Draper's kid.

Reactions: Retire91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad