YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

BATJAM

Jan 14, 2005
For the nucks... def Jason King. I've never been impressed with this guy, and he'll at best be a Hlavac type floater. League wide, I'd say MA Fleury in pits. He just doesn't have the control to be an elite goalie, he seems too flukey

HabsRenegade

This is fine
Nov 8, 2004
Montreal
Andrei Kostistyn is overrated, I never understood all this frenzy around him. I saw him play and he is far from being the best prospect for the habs.

Perezhogin, is somehow overrated... sometimes people give him too much credit.

Marcel Hossa... this guy will not have a NHL career... never! But people still believe.

And finally, maybe Ryan O'Byrne... he is not the best D prospect for the habs, I put Korpiakri and Yemelin above him.

AgentNaslund*

Jason King.

They say hes gonna be a luc Robitalle, type of goal scorer, save it guys. Hes not NHL material. His game is offensive goal scorer. But he does not have the strength or speed to play at the NHL. Hes not good enough to be a top 6 foward in the NHL he does not have the toughness and size or speed to be a checking player.

Jason King.

Other guy is Kevin Bieska.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
hugh jessiman.....just hasn't done anything besides getting injured since being drafted...but i still think he has the skills to be a good one.

balej...did you see his stats last year?

barrel_master

Amber Heard
Dec 15, 2004
Well I'm first an Oilers fan...

JDD... they guy is getting old and he's yet to dominate at any of the minor levels he's played in. Although, I hold some hope that teh 'all star goalie' hype is founded somehow.

As a Rangers fan...

Alvero Montoya... I don't see how he could garner so much attention. A good year a Mich. and a fantastic World Jr. tournament. Beyond that he's disapointed in my eyes. Like JDD I hope he lives up to his hype.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
AgentNaslund said:
Jason King.

They say hes gonna be a luc Robitalle, type of goal scorer, save it guys. Hes not NHL material. His game is offensive goal scorer. But he does not have the strength or speed to play at the NHL. Hes not good enough to be a top 6 foward in the NHL he does not have the toughness and size or speed to be a checking player.

Jason King.

Other guy is Kevin Bieska.

Since when Luc Robitaille have good foot speed?

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
HemskyFreak83 said:
Robbie Schremp for the oilers

others i think are getting way over-rating, not saying they going to suck or bust but that they getting way too much hype then they deserve
Dion Phaneuf, Zach Parise

How do you figure? How is players like Schremp or Phaneuf or Parise over rated? These guys have been excellent juniors have done well at every level.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Well, currently I don't own or manage an NHL team, but I live in Vancouver and I am a Vancouver Canucks fan... so I guess I'd say for most overrated:

Alexander Auld
- The guy has **** lateral movement and is prone five hole. I just don't see the upside with him anymore especially with the pad restrictions. I think both Plant and Vincent have a far better shot at making the NHL as a starter than Auld.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
flambers said:
How do you figure? How is players like Schremp or Phaneuf or Parise over rated? These guys have been excellent juniors have done well at every level.

well 1st this nothing but my opinion

Schremp could be that 1st line centre but there is as great as a chance he could be a bust, his skating is improving but he needs to keep it up and I do think his "attitude" problems are false although i'm thankfully they came up otherwise I don't not think the Oilers would have gotten him that low in the draft, but that is no way that has cause me to think any less of him

Phaneuf, great hitter open ice and boards, I find his offensive game over-rated, I don't think he will be that no. 1 defensemen, don't get me wrong he won't be bad at all but I find it that he will be a great no. 2/3 d-men, he could be Eric Brewer with a way better shot and Brewer had comparisons to Pronger when he was drafted but so far has never found his offensive game but he is a great defender in his own end

Parise, sometimes I think he is treated like the 2nd coming of Jesus, he is a Mike York type, very good 2nd line centre borderline 1st line centre, I'm not convinced he will be a franchise 1st line centre

take it for whats its worth (which could be nothing at all) I find the 3 over-rated, thats all

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Rangers

My Rangers had a few overrated. Lundmark being at the top of that list even though he's not really a prospect anymore. Also Brendl even though he's not part of the organization right now. You cant say Blackburn. Of course there's been the past prospects that have been overrated but right now no one is their system is really overrated, at least out of their best prospects.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Definitely Alex Auld.
This guy doesn't have it, and he loved using the humunguous pads...now he can't.
He will never be a regular goalie in the NHL.
Schneider, Ellis-Plante and Vincent all could be NHL starters in five years, but Alex is just keeping the net warm until they are ready for prime time. That is why Nonis got Brent Johnson, as a safety net when Auld falls to earth.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Without a doubt Ray Emery, massively overated. Muckler is going to look like a moron three times this year on account of Emery.

First Glass is going to outplay him in tryouts, but since Emery is on a one way contract he has to keep him.

Then Emery is going to stink up the league when Hasek gets injured. While Glass and Thompson are both steady in the AHL.

Then Muckler is going to have to replace him with Arturs Irbe and its actually going to be a good move.

Oh yeah Martin Prusek will continue to be in the top 10 goalies statistically this season resulting in more insult to injury.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I will agree that Emery has probably gotten a bit too much hype as a sure-fire #1 NHL Goaltender.

But to me, his problem is temperment - calling him Sugar Ray IS the problem. He really hasn't shown that he's grown out of the outbursts, and I think that will haunt him if not solved in the next year or two. If the first time Darcy Tucker digs into his pads for a lose puck (especially when having an off-night), Emery loses his marbles like he has so many times before and goes after him, every NHL team will know the book on him and he will begin to take more abuse than any other goalie in attempting to goad him.

That said, I still like his upside. I just don't think as many Sens fans realize the risk still assoiciated with Ray. He is not a sure thing.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Canucks have a few (and I'm definitely guilty of overhyping some):

Auld - I agree with the other posters who listed him. I've never seen much that would indicate he is ready to be an NHL starter (aside from the Spengler Cup which seems to be the exception, not the rule). With smaller pads and the quality in the Canucks goaltending system I don't see him sticking around for too long. Most people see him as having the ceiling of a solid #1. I see him as a questionable #2.

Bieksa - I'm guilty here, I really like this guy, but he is becoming vastly overrated over on the Canucks board. He played well in the AHL last season, but before that was basically a nobody. The comparisons to Chelios are laughable. Might become a serviceable #5/6 if we're lucky.

King and Koltsov might become underrated soon.

Bourdon is well on his way to being overrated, though is not quite there yet.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
This won't go well with other Sabres Fans(who just voted him #6 prospect) but. Clarke Macarthur.He just does'nt seem to have the numbers. 30 goals and 70 points at the junior level is a little underwhelming.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Jeff Carter in Philly. A 30 goal scorer in the OHL who had a big playoff for their AHL team. He is getting huge hype and is going to get crushed under the weight of those expectations. It's not like he isn't a prospect but lets not unretire Clarke's jersey just yet.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
One month ago my answer would have been Andrei Kostitsyn with an honourable mention to Mike Komisarek.

Now without a doubt, Guillaume Latendresse. Sure he had a good rookie camp. Means little at this point. He's 18 years old and he's being touted as the second coming of our lord and saviour. It's utterly ridiculous how much hype he's getting from fellow Hab fans. I really like him don't get me wrong. But some of the stuff I see on here is way out there.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Probably been said.. I don't feel like going through the who thread.

Kyle Wellwood.

I think, unless he can get bigger, and become a better skater in a short amount of time, he will be at best, a 3rd line NHL'er.

If he does the right things, then he should (one would hope) develop quite nicely.

Toronto doesn't have many to choose from. :cry:

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
nuck said:
Jeff Carter in Philly. A 30 goal scorer in the OHL who had a big playoff for their AHL team. He is getting huge hype and is going to get crushed under the weight of those expectations. It's not like he isn't a prospect but lets not unretire Clarke's jersey just yet.

True but he also was the best player in the AHL playoffs and had 12 goals & 11 assists in 23 AHL playoff games (which lead the team). This guy is a legit talent. There is no way he is over hyped. In my view he will be in the Calder race this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Evilo said:
For the Penguins, I would say Crosby if he he likenned to Gretz and Mario, but otherwise, I think Stone's last season put too much expectations on some Pens fans.
I still expect him to be a solid third liner in the NHL, but most likely not a scoring machine like he has in the WHL.

See Maxime Talbot. Talbot's stock hasn't fallen at all, he's just a completely different player in the AHL than he was in juniors. Stone basically will be a bigger version of Talbot this year...IMO.

For the Pens it has to be Crosby. Even if he lives up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad