YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Everyone is picking prospects they don't like rather then the actual overated ones. I will go against the curve.

Zach Parise - Getting highly overated by many on these boards. I will agree he has the potential to get 60-70 points in the old NHL....don't know how many in the new NHL but when people say his potential tops out around 80 or 90....that is just wrong. He can also be overpowered by a bigger center, good thing we also have Zajac, Gomez and Vrana who can play cewnter to take wear and tear off him.

Devilsfanatic said:
Thank you Jesus.

I have to disagree with you both. Parise does not get overrated on these boards, if anything he's been underrated by many fans here. Duck fans will tell you that Getzlaf is better, Oiler fans will say they rather have Pouliot or Schremp and of course Philly fans will state that he can’t touch either Carter or Richards. If you want to say the Devil fans overrate him, that's fine and that's mostly due to the enthusiasm of Lou and Dave Conte have for this kid as well as his prior scouting reports and his play at the WJC and with Albany last year. He also brings other intangibles like character and leadership. Not many people believe he will one day lead the league in scoring, but rather he'll be a 1st or 2nd liner center as well as one day maybe being the Devils captain. There are some Philly fans who prefer Richards over Carter just because of Richards leadership skills. Zach brings more then just talent to the table if you believe Lou and Conte.

Jason, I know you like Zajac more then Parise, as a Devs fan, I hope they both have long and illustrious careers as Devils!

Last edited:

Cupfrantic

Sep 14, 2005
dowling,
leafs

Ian White, heck he wasn't even supposed to make the canadian team and he beat the odds and then people said he would suck in the AHL but he put up very decent stats(led team -/+ and put up 26 points in 76 games). No one ever thought he could even make this far let alone the NHL and I think most leaf fans don't expect him too or atleast not for 2 or 3 years down the road. So I don't think he has been really overrated but actually more that he a suprise to people by beating the odds. Remember he was drafted in the 5th or 6th round of the draft. Not many leaf draft 3rd or higher draft picks usually make it as far as Ian, so I consider him project player, yes... but not really overrated. Plus he still very young(20)

Plus the guy has my same extact name, same year of birth plus I am diehard leaf fan since 93. So I felt as if someone had to defend him. lol :p:

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
many here in montreal

hossa: people still think we could get a player like Patrik Stefan for him.. :propeller

Hainsey: when will he be a Norris candidate? NEVEEEEEER

Dannis: I really like him, but I see him as a good backup in his future, not a starter.

Latendresse: already has god-like status in Montreal because of a few good games at a rookie camp.

I hate it when people complain about habs fans overating their prospects, but man, I have to admit that we give you some reasons to complain.

Corey

montreal said:
Any Hab prospects! :biglaugh: :D

Komisarek was close to reaching godlike status by some. I'm a huge fan of his but the Scott Stevens comparisons make me want to jump out the nearest window.

Kostitsyn is the next ultra hyped prospect, and I am to blame as I have been very very impressed at times with his skills but the points just didn't come. I still think he could be a very good NHLer but this past season left questions about his true upside.

What's funny is that 2 years ago you would be hard pressed to find much hype at all about Michael Ryder, yet he goes on to be one of the top rookies in the league. Goes to show that people get carried away with where a player gets drafted.

Kostitsyn may or may not be overrated. I can't tell. He shows flashes of great talent. I'd add Kyle Chipchura to the list. He has good qualities but I don't think he has the offensive skills to be more than a third liner. In other words, he could be the future replacement for Radek Bonk, although that isn't too bad. I don't know enough about Latendresse to rate him, but from what I have heard he has more upside than Chipchura.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
HemskyFreak83 said:
I'm not so what, I can't choose to not like players or prospects from what I seen, heard, and read, and I can't just be a hockey fan anymore

I think Jason's point was... the thread is titled "YOUR team's most overrated prospect". The premise of the thread is for people to evaluate which of the prospects that are on their favorite team, they feel are held in higher regard than they merit. To come in here tearing down other teams' prospects - isn't really the point of this thread.

There are plenty of threads on these boards about "Most overrated prospects in the league". That wasn't the goal of this thread. This thread was for teams' fans to voice some against-the-grain criticism of their own team's prospects. That's why he asked (sarcastically) "Funny, when did you become a flames/devils fan?" - because your evaluation of Flames and Devils prospects, in this thread, would imply that you're a Flames and Devils fan. Which you clearly are not.

It's right there in the first and last lines of Buffaloed's originating post:

Buffaloed said:
What prospect from the team you're a fan of do you think is overrated? Don't go bagging on OTHER teams prospects, we know how that'll turn out.

Remember, pick a prospect from YOUR team.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think right now a little too much hype is being attached to Paul Stastny...mainly because he plays for the local college team (back-to-back champion college team I might add) and the fact that his father was a phenomenal player and still works for the organization. We want him to succeed so much, we're a little guilty of possibly overrating him. I say possibly because it's just too early to tell what kind of pro player he'll be.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I sincerely doubt that any of Tampa's prospects get overrated by anyone, but if I had to choose the only one that comes to mind is Coleman. Very nice kid so I don't want to be harsh, but I think his numbers from last year are a bit deceptive. I've never been blown away when I've seen him. That being said, he's still young and could definitely improve. The organization seems to like him a lot, so what do I know? :dunno:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
SerialSeb said:
Ya what's up with Kostitsyn. Seems everytime I see a list of top Canadiens prospect he's in the top 4. I just don't see it. not yet anyway. give him an other season in the A and then I'll be able to say but right now he's not top 5 at all.
he's top 4 because his UPSIDE is huge, not his chances, but were talking about the next Kovalev with a 2-way game if he cam put it together, he's not over-hyped, he's just real young and played on bottom lines last year

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Famous Flames said:
For Dallas, Daley I guess.

He's pretty much the lone candidate seeing as how he's the only one with at least some name recognition in the league or here at HF. In reality I don't think he is though, I've yet to meet fans who think he'll amount into a bonafide first pairing defenseman. I don't think we really have an extremely overrated prospect, we lack the fans to give them a name here at HF and lack a stud prospect who can be hyped leaguewide. But if I had to chose I'd probably hand it to Lessard. Hockey Baker winner who's had a tough time adjusting to the professional game so far.

The St.Louis Blues are in the same boat btw. No real overrated prospect..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad