YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
crossxcheck said:
Shea Weber. And don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding prospect, but ever since the WJC's people have been overrating him.

Shea Weber is anything but overrated, underrated maybe. believe me, I've seen him play 40+ times, he is and will be a ROCK on the blueline, he's overrated in th aspect of his offensive game, but he's a future adam foote type player, he's NHL ready right now.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As Kostsitsyn hype calmed down after his AHL season, Alexander Perezhogin quickly became Habs most overrated prospect.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
franchise player said:
Kostitsyn lacks of hockey sense, skating and work ethic imo. He's not overrated anymore, since everybody realized that. He has above average hands and one of the best shot I've seen. He could become a good player, but I honestly don't like him at all.
So... have we gone from overrating him to underrating him now?

His skating is decent, and he knows where to position himself to wait for a pass. Over the season, he became better at supporting his linemates (some very average to poor hockey talents such as Ward, Ott, Ivanans,...), and better at playing without the puck in both directions. He doesn't mind traffic. He is still a bit of a puck hog though. We both have no clue what his work ethic is like, so I don't know where you got that part of your statement from...

Although at this point in time, I agree, he is overrated, he still has tons of untapped potential.

wantleetchback

Mar 19, 2005
Cape Breton,
NYC Aim 4588 said:
Well some one said Petr Prucha, I wouldnt call him the most overrated he has good potential but I dont think any one ex[pects sup star status, with that for the NYR's overrated prospects I would say Dawes and Balej, but, I think the most overrated is Montoya. The kid will probably be good and thats it. He will be no Mike Richter I say his his upside is a Jeff Hackett/Mike Dunham.

Montoya most over rated prospect. Most people might disagree but then there are some that will strongly agree.

I agree Montoya is definitly the rangers most over rated prospect.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Leafs: Steen
Sens: Anyone but Emery. I hope the guy makes y'all eat yer frickin' words bandwagoner Sens fan. He was Sugar Ray Emery, the battlin' goalie two years ago. Now he's just some overhyped schmuck who only put up 28 wins in his "worst" year in the AHL. If I hear the "hit a plateau" in association with the name Emery one more time, I swear I will puke.....and it won't be pretty. It'll be one of those Mac and Cheese blowouts.

Plah.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Vlad The Impaler said:
I agree with almost all the choices here except McGrath and maybe Tallackson.

I really like McGrath, haven't seen him be all *that* hyped and he definitly is a steal where he was drafted, IMO. And I do think there is definitly a lot of potential as a scoring winger.

Never heard much hype about Tallackson. I'm not really that high on him but I like what I have seen. Solid, no-nonsense player who could make it. I think his game can translate to the next level.

The rest of the picks on this thread would probably be mine if I had a favorite team.

still no love for the habs.. shame on you ! :D

for habs.. the most overated prospect.. is.. Christopher Higgins ! :) I like the kid but i dont know if he got enough offensive skills to become more than a 3th liner.. Kost still has star potential.. his offensive skills might be overated but his defensive play and physical aspect upgraded him so i would say he is stable..

Corey

montreal said:
Any Hab prospects! :biglaugh: :D

Komisarek was close to reaching godlike status by some. I'm a huge fan of his but the Scott Stevens comparisons make me want to jump out the nearest window.

Kostitsyn is the next ultra hyped prospect, and I am to blame as I have been very very impressed at times with his skills but the points just didn't come. I still think he could be a very good NHLer but this past season left questions about his true upside.

What's funny is that 2 years ago you would be hard pressed to find much hype at all about Michael Ryder, yet he goes on to be one of the top rookies in the league. Goes to show that people get carried away with where a player gets drafted.
At this moment, I guess it's Perezhogin. He probably will have a fine career but I'm skeptical that he'll reach the 60-70 point level that some Habs fans predict for him in his very first season

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
montreal said:
Any Hab prospects! :biglaugh: :D

Komisarek was close to reaching godlike status by some. I'm a huge fan of his but the Scott Stevens comparisons make me want to jump out the nearest window.

Kostitsyn is the next ultra hyped prospect, and I am to blame as I have been very very impressed at times with his skills but the points just didn't come. I still think he could be a very good NHLer but this past season left questions about his true upside.

What's funny is that 2 years ago you would be hard pressed to find much hype at all about Michael Ryder, yet he goes on to be one of the top rookies in the league. Goes to show that people get carried away with where a player gets drafted.
Ditto. I wasn't very impressed with Kostitsyn's play in Hamilton. Yes there were language problems and he had to get adjusted, but I still expected more from him. He should be on the top line in October, so I'll give him a chance, but if his production doesn't improve significantly, I think the Habs may have buggered up the pick big time considering some of the guys that were available when they made the pick.

Another guy who is reaching god-like status is Chipchura. People are calling him a future captain for Christ's sake:shakehead I guess the other popular choices for future captains, Komisarek and Higgens, will have have to be dealt first in order to make room for the C on Chip's jersey:biglaugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For the Penguins, I would say Crosby if he he likenned to Gretz and Mario, but otherwise, I think Stone's last season put too much expectations on some Pens fans.
I still expect him to be a solid third liner in the NHL, but most likely not a scoring machine like he has in the WHL.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Cam Barker---sorry, but I was never impressed with him...I was ripping him before the Hawks drafted him-and he hasn't done anything to change my mind--I don't see where everyone ranlks him so high....I like Seabrook a lot more...

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
TexSen said:
Leafs: Steen
Comical. Just the kind of objectivity you'd expect from a Sens fan.. :shakehead

and btw, the thread title says "YOUR" teams ... but any opportunity for a dig, eh? jealousy's a m&^h#$ I guess.

As per the thread, MY team's most overrated prospect is Tellqvist, in that some suggest he is more than capable of the backup role or perhaps even as a future starter and I haven't seen that from him AT ALL to date. Pogge or Rask are much more likely to be the guy 3 or 4 years down the road. Who's the stopgap guy if Belfour can't stretch that time :dunno: could be problematic

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Robbie Schremp for the oilers

others i think are getting way over-rating, not saying they going to suck or bust but that they getting way too much hype then they deserve
Dion Phaneuf, Zach Parise

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Fighter said:
Anaheim fan here, for me it's Corey Perry, he sounds like the second coming of Teemu Selanne in terms of scoring. Wow :amazed:

Thats a tough one, because In some ways Perry is underrated around the HF boards.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
wolski for the avalanche. some colorado fans have suggested he would crack the avs roster this season to replace any scoring punch lost by kariya/forsberg/selanne.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Raven25 said:
Comical. Just the kind of objectivity you'd expect from a Sens fan.. :shakehead

and btw, the thread title says "YOUR" teams ... but any opportunity for a dig, eh? jealousy's a m&^h#$ I guess.

As per the thread, MY team's most overrated prospect is Tellqvist, in that some suggest he is more than capable of the backup role or perhaps even as a future starter and I haven't seen that from him AT ALL to date. Pogge or Rask are much more likely to be the guy 3 or 4 years down the road. Who's the stopgap guy if Belfour can't stretch that time :dunno: could be problematic

Mission accomplished if I made you laugh, however my sarcasm detector is reading off the scales right now. Seems you need to develop a: a thicker skin, b: a sense of humor or e: all of the above.

Life's too short to follow everyone else and "thread titles" just "because it says so", but I guess being a member of your little club thingy judging by the BOW Grunt handle, feeling like you are part of a group is what gets you by.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It would have to be M-A Fleury, right now.

Sure, I'm confident that he can be a starter in this league, but his AHL play has been disappointing thus far. Goalies take a long time to develop, but he needs to show progress real soon.

He had a great month of hockey in the NHL. But a lot of otherwise unspectacular players can make that same claim.

Hope the acquisition of Thibault and the hiring of a goalie coach will help him out. He's losing the luster befitting a #1 pick.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
McDonald19 said:
Thats a tough one, because In some ways Perry is underrated around the HF boards.

And some Ducks fans think he's the next Selanne (in terms of scoring). Come on MD19, you know I like him, but that's a long shot.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
aleksander suglobov is high on the Devils top 20 prospects list. Hes good, but Zajac and Voros are both better IMO. Ahren Nittel is also very underrated i think.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
futurcorerock said:
Blue Jackets:

Pascal Leclaire. We're still justifying why we took him ahead of someone like Ruutu. An average NHL goaltender at best... NOT the future of our franchise (see: Denis)

You're right with your assesment, but I'll disagree with it in this thread.
I don't think Leclaire is overrated.

He might have been overrated a few years ago. But not now. Now, he seems forgotten outside of CBJ circles and within those circles, he isn't the most beloved prospect.

I still hold out a little hope though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad