GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Them (Hudson River Rivalry, 7 pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I see a lot of parallels between the last two weeks and December.

The energy and effort is there, lots of posts and getting goalied.

They'll start going in again. Eight more games to reignite the fire.

That strengthens my argument not yours? If we beat some middling teams we’d be well in the way to a division lead with the Canes form.

Whatever, this is all tangential. The overarching point is that it’s ridiculous to attack someone for lamenting that they couldn’t get it together for the division. It’s a perfectly valid thought.

And my point is the way Carolina and we have both been playing, the Rags sneaking into first and us getting Carolina in the first round is still on the table.

Eight games is an eternity when only five points are separating the top three.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean he's not wrong in bringing up how ludicrous it is to freak out about losses to non-playoff teams when the team's sitting on 100 points like a full season ahead of schedule.
First of all, the issue isn’t “losses to non-playoff teams”, it’s “losses to non-playoff teams when that is the difference between winning the division and not”. Important difference.

Second, once again, taking it as a personal attack that someone mentions something in not glowing terms, as if that somehow means they’re invalidating everything about a 100pt season. Like, the sensitivity in that is off the charts.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
First of all, the issue isn’t “losses to non-playoff teams”, it’s “losses to non-playoff teams when that is the difference between winning the division and not”. Important difference.

Second, once again, taking it as a personal attack that someone mentions something I’m not glowing terms, as if that someone means they’re invalidating everything about a 100pt season. Like, the sensitivity in that is off the charts.

I have no horse in this race.

Let's wait until after we lose tonight to argue, cool everyone?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I see a lot of parallels between the last two weeks and December.

The energy and effort is there, lots of posts and getting goalied.

They'll start going in again. Eight more games to reignite the fire.

And my point is the way Carolina and we have both been playing, the Rags sneaking into first and us getting Carolina in the first round is still on the table.

Eight games is an eternity when only five points are separating the top three.
I hope they do it. Tonight would get the ball rolling.

Of course, if they lose we’re having a different conversation of potentially losing home ice to the Rags. Not that I think that’s a huge thing either way. Only thing I’d worry about is the psychological aspect of getting leapfrogged this late to your first round opponent.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

Of course, if they lose we’re having a different conversation of potentially losing home ice to the Rags. Not that I think that’s a huge thing either way. Only thing I’d worry about is the psychological aspect of getting leapfrogged this late to your first round opponent.

We have a very young team.

Sometimes, you need to learn the hard way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean he's not wrong in bringing up how ludicrous it is to freak out about losses to non-playoff teams when the team's sitting on 100 points like a full season ahead of schedule.
Which wasn’t even my argument. I realize all teams have ‘bad losses’ over a full season. My only point was we went from winning the biggest regular season home game in five years to have it be all but irrelevant in a short period of time, and partly why I’m more agnostic about this one. Sure if we win we’ll be in great spot for home ice, will anyone care if we lose Game 1? Likewise if we lose tonight and win Game 1 how much will home ice mean then? I could see either scenario happening just as easily.

Last edited:

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
This is really a bunch of semantics arguments: none of us are thrilled with the way the last 10 games have gone, but calling it a "collapse" is...ok, Mets fan here who lived through 2007, if you want to see a collapse, that was a collapse.

If the Devils fall to third while still finishing the season with over 100 points, then it's merely a disappointment against the backdrop of a much more positive development of the team becoming competitive again, just possibly running out of gas as they get towards the end. Don't get me wrong, I've been kind of angry at times lately watching them and being all "you'll never get first place this way!", but they're still like the third youngest team in the NHL or whatever, shit happens and they're not about to revert to being a lottery team next year or something barring insane injuries.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
If the Devils fall to third while still finishing the season with over 100 points, then it's merely a disappointment against the backdrop of a much more positive development of the team becoming competitive again, just possibly running out of gas as they get towards the end. Don't get me wrong, I've been kind of angry at times lately watching them and being all "you'll never get first place this way!", but they're still like the third youngest team in the NHL or whatever, shit happens and they're not about to revert to being a lottery team next year or something barring insane injuries.

Sounds like something that will piss off (read as: motivate) our young core for the next 7ish years...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That strengthens my argument not yours? If we beat some middling teams we’d be well in the way to a division lead with the Canes form.

Whatever, this is all tangential. The overarching point is that it’s ridiculous to attack someone for lamenting that they couldn’t get it together for the division. It’s a perfectly valid thought.
What you need to do is turn your negative attention towards the 4th line. Or Blackwood. Then the board will love you.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What you need to do is turn your negative attention towards the 4th line. Or Blackwood. Then the board will love you.
Eh not really, you’ll just get fewer critics when you complain about bad players or the coaches as opposed to nitpicking or hating on better players.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Eh not really, you’ll just get fewer critics when you complain about bad players or the coaches as opposed to nitpicking or hating on better players.
Fewer critics and a bunch of likes. Ripping the 4th line is a cottage industry.

But I was being a bit facetious.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It's worse - he's actually learning how to hit clean as of late. But he will for sure throw something awful tonight.

How is that worse? I actually like when players lay big clean hits. It's the dirty crap that has no place in this game.

Because that's why they lost to the Islanders.

it is...I wouldn't take the mental side of the game lightly. Ruff basically saw something good and said f*** it and went completely senile.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007

On the other hand, I kinda like going into MSG as the underdog for the 1st two games. Get the split and head home for two.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I wouldn't consider this the biggest game of the season. The Jan 7th game against them was in the running (helped us snap out of that funk for good). We made the playoffs. We don't want to back into the playoffs but we also need to figure out chemistry and lines.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I wouldn't consider this the biggest game of the season. The Jan 7th game against them was in the running (helped us snap out of that funk for good). We made the playoffs. We don't want to back into the playoffs but we also need to figure out chemistry and lines.

I second that, I categorize this game like the November 28th or December 12th (whatever date it was) this year. That Jan 7 game was way more important because our season was on the fritz possibly and we were down 3-1 to them going into the third. I want this game obviously like every Rangers Devils game that matters but I'm not going to make it tonight an end all be all. Been saying home ice is being overrated in this potential series. If anything, I care more about catching Carolina with a win than staving off those blue jersey f***s in third for home ice in a potential series.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
oh good - we've got brawls on the boards before the puck hits the ice. This one's gonna be SPICY.

iu

iu

7ggg53.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad