HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
More I watch Raoul Boilard, more I think he is flying under the radar big time, this kid plays a pro style, skates well and clearly has talent, he is centering Drakkars 3rd line, almost PPG and +27, he is expected to play a much bigger role next year. 6'2 190 lbs.

I would go as far as saying he might be a prime target for the Habs with the Jets pick.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
More I watch Raoul Boilard, more I think he is flying under the radar big time, this kid plays a pro style, skates well and clearly has talent, he is centering Drakkars 3rd line, almost PPG and +27, he is expected to play a much bigger role next year. 6'2 190 lbs.

I would go as far as saying he might be a prime target for the Habs with the Jets pick.
If goldenhands speaks...I listen

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Haven't seen him play but I do appreciate these types of narratives.

I remember enjoying Cirelli's game when he was stuck at 3C behind Michael McCarron on Oshawa's Mem Cup run.
Larkin behind Eichel on the NTDP as another classic example.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He's 58 in the consolidated ranking ( much later on McKenzie's list), so late first might be a bit of a reach. On the other hand, our second rounder is going to be late, so if they really like him, the winnipeg pick might be the one chance they'll get. It's quite possible he'll still be there by the late-ish second round though, so it's a gamble.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Literally any top 10 projected forward and I'll be happy. F-O-R-W-A-R-D, hockey ops. Guys that play up front and score. Those guys. Heard of them? Yeah, one of those.

Last year I said anybody but Reinbacher and got burned so.......... not holding my breath.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Canes offer up Svechnikov for Habs 5OA do you make that deal?

Turned 24 past March, 5-years left @ $7.75M

Reactions: Addik04

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Haven't seen him play but I do appreciate these types of narratives.

I remember enjoying Cirelli's game when he was stuck at 3C behind Michael McCarron on Oshawa's Mem Cup run.
Larkin behind Eichel on the NTDP as another classic example.
I will end up making a video of Boilard that I will post before the draft.

He's 58 in the consolidated ranking ( much later on McKenzie's list), so late first might be a bit of a reach. On the other hand, our second rounder is going to be late, so if they really like him, the winnipeg pick might be the one chance they'll get. It's quite possible he'll still be there by the late-ish second round though, so it's a gamble.
As I said, he is playing third lne center on a powerhouse and I dont really care about amator scouting rankings personally, we will see where he ranks on Bobby Mac final list where real scouts are polled.

The maturity in his game is very impressive considering thats his 1st season in the Q.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yes. I have him close to the top 15. There's a lot of talent in the Q this year. It's pretty laughable how low he is. I do think he's somewhat boring skill-wise but he's also smart and plays a very translatable game. I'd be happy if the Habs went Q with all their picks after the first.

The Canes probably wouldn't even trade Svech for Celebrini.

Reactions: Addik04

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

No, lose 6 years, been injured frequently, averages 25 goals and 60 points we should get better offense with this pick. His 8 million a year bring us another major asset. Summer of '25 is deep UFA market his 8 million will help out quite a bit. Plus Lindstrom and Reinbacher both should be ready to join team by then.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Literally any top 10 projected forward and I'll be happy. F-O-R-W-A-R-D, hockey ops. Guys that play up front and score. Those guys. Heard of them? Yeah, one of those.

Last year I said anybody but Reinbacher and got burned so.......... not holding my breath.
So it’s your fault and you are doubling down on only forwards again? Pick the D this year that you wanted more than anything in this world and we will get our forward. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Fits with the core, age-wise, would add size to our top-6 since Anderson is a complete fail so far, plays physical, can score...

Those injuries, though, we already have Dach who's a question mark, and our depth is still pretty bad.

Despite my draft-first mentality, I think I'd do it, would push our team forward.

That said, there's just no way the Canes would offer him, he fits with their core too.

And I mean, it's the 5th pick overall, Lindstrom could be the same type of player Svechnikov is, soooo... yeah.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Injuries are my only concern, otherwise yeah, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I generally find his basic counting stats are lesser than the eye test, and wonder if playing for a team more focused on setting up high quality scoring chances over volume, all while fixed into a top line role, would unlock his true upside.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
No shot they trade that pick. Good shot they trade the Jets pick though.

You can get immediate help without giving up a Top 10 pick. And typically those players are like 3 seasons away at most from being in the NHL. Plus they are cost-controlled which is extremely valuable.

Yeah the Habs need help now, but they also need help in the system. When your best offensive prospects are Roy and Mesar, you are in trouble. No one is banging at the door to take a spot.
There’s a big difference between being in the nhl in 3 or 4 years, and producing like a top 6 player. That’s my point. If they acquire a 60-70 point guy now, or draft this guy and wait potentially 4 years for him to hit that mark, that’s outside their timeline for competing in my opinion. You are correct that they need to draft talent
No shot they trade that pick. Good shot they trade the Jets pick though.

You can get immediate help without giving up a Top 10 pick. And typically those players are like 3 seasons away at most from being in the NHL. Plus they are cost-controlled which is extremely valuable.

Yeah the Habs need help now, but they also need help in the system. When your best offensive prospects are Roy and Mesar, you are in trouble. No one is banging at the door to take a spot.
You make a couple good points, but just because a guy is 3 seasons away, doesn’t mean he’s going to produce like a top 6 player which was my point. That could be 4 or 5 seasons. Let’s say they can get Zegras and he becomes a 70 point guy right away. That fits the timeline much better. I’m just giving an example and I don’t want to start a debate on Zegras.
As for acquiring talent other ways, I don’t see how they’re doing that without giving up a young roster player, which seems counter productive. Anyone thinking that they’re signing a big name forward like a Stamkos, I’m sorry to say, it’s not happening. We aren’t a FA destination teams like NYR, Toronto or Tampa. These types just don’t come here. I’ll agree, they do need to draft talent up front, but somehow other teams do it without top 5 picks.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad