GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (11-4-3) @ Wienerpeg Jets (11-4-3), 3 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Wow didn't realize we didn't take a penalty at all in the game. Yet still got battered, I dont want to imagine the score if the refs were calling everything like the normally would. :dunno:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow didn't realize we didn't take a penalty at all in the game. Yet still got battered, I dont want to imagine the score if the refs were calling everything like the normally would. :dunno:

Probably not that different. They had a bad 180 seconds or so and it resulted in 3 goals against. Otherwise, they were the better team for the most part.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But if it's more "but Zacha!" - Henrique has 15 hits in 19 games this year while Zacha has 11 in 15. So not much difference in grit. But with Henrique generating more shots, playing well on the PK, and committing less boneheaded turnovers...you don't have much of a leg to stand on.
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. Henrique chases play a lot more than Zacha. He has the puck less than Zacha, that will usually leave you with more hits.

If there's one really big knock on Zacha, it's that he somehow manages even fewer shots per game than Henrique and that shouldn't be. That's one area where the coaching staff should wanna see more from him, and not critique his ''Compete level'' or his lack of ''Grit'' or his ability to ''Collectively help us do enough to win a hockey game'' (I'm pretty sure Hynes used that collective word when talking about him yesterday) or whatever cliche you can think.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Hynes has been disappointing to me in every game so far.

Some of our best played games were actually the last two games. Well, at least before the collapse today. We were really good until that second goal was scored.

I never have been a believer in Hynes and until I see a vast difference in our style of play/system, I don't think I ever will be.

It's clear that he knows what he's doing, even though I thought he may have lost the team last year, which is an even larger smear against him than if he had lost the team. Because sometimes the coach loses the team, without doing anything wrong.

He knows what he's doing, this is just the way he prefers to do things. This is what he desires.

This is true, when we were sloppy and getting outshot we were winning games, I am neutral on Hynes because we have a .500 team on paper, maybe a little better than that, but I also dont see a lot of really outstanding coaches in the league nowadays, and none that are available to "hire"

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. Henrique chases play a lot more than Zacha. He has the puck less than Zacha, that will usually leave you with more hits.

If there's one really big knock on Zacha, it's that he somehow manages even fewer shots per game than Henrique and that shouldn't be. That's one area where the coaching staff should wanna see more from him, and not critique his ''Compete level'' or his lack of ''Grit'' or his ability to ''Collectively help us do enough to win a hockey game'' (I'm pretty sure Hynes used that collective word when talking about him yesterday) or whatever cliche you can think.

Where does this "has the puck less" thing come from? Just what you perceive? It's certainly possible that you're right, but I don't think it's likely to be right.

Anyway I'd actually like Zacha to have the puck less if so. I think he needs to find his way as a winger that gets open for our offensive players with good vision to feed him passes. Like Bratt or Nico. I've seen nothing to think he's going to be the type of puck possessing drive a line on his own player.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
this game was on schneider.

he was over committed on a couple of goals and his stick work cost him 2 goals. its feast or famine with him. seems he loses his mental game at points. if they come out of that period not allowing 5 goals then they still have a chance to win. he cant just sit there and watch passes move through his crease within 2 feet of him when he is purposely capable of deflectin the pass. its a stick not a paddle!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But if it's more "but Zacha!" - Henrique has 15 hits in 19 games this year while Zacha has 11 in 15. So not much difference in grit. But with Henrique generating more shots, playing well on the PK, and committing less boneheaded turnovers...you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Yeah, if people want Zacha to play, that's fine.

But the, "Zacha must play over Henrique" thing is just so completely illogical that one can only assume that those folks are among the many HFBoards fetus-lovers.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where does this "has the puck less" thing come from? Just what you perceive? It's certainly possible that you're right, but I don't think it's likely to be right.

Anyway I'd actually like Zacha to have the puck less if so. I think he needs to find his way as a winger that gets open for our offensive players with good vision to feed him passes. Like Bratt or Nico. I've seen nothing to think he's going to be the type of puck possessing drive a line on his own player.
I can see it in the eye test, but it's certainly no secret that Henrique isn't really a puck possession player. And it's well known that guys who have a lot of hits, usually don't have possession. This isn't a rule, there exceptions. Scott Stevens is probably the most famous of all.

Camille the Eel

Probably not that different. They had a bad 180 seconds or so and it resulted in 3 goals against. Otherwise, they were the better team for the most part.
Once we are down three and then four goals, I think the analysis that "we are the better team for the most part" goes out the window. They're just cruising, jabbing and occasionally counter-punching at that point,waiting to see if we can land a punch. Which we did not and do not.

We need to score more goals. We need to create more really dangerous chances. Those items are way down the last few weeks and that gives me cause for worry. It's not hot goaltenders who are stopping us really. We are just not creating at the same rate we were. Where is Bratt? We were also counting on Zacha and we know where is is (and isn't).

Also in the end, a team with Boyle and Zajac centering two of its four lines is not going to be terribly dynamic offensively. It may be a team, all the same, that teaches the youngsters how to win 2 - 1 games in this league, and how to play with structure.

I have no crystal ball.

But I'd like to see us build an exciting, young team that can fill the Rock and get people excited with their identity and style of play. So please Rejean Shero and John Hynes stay on topic as to those goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If anything, I think that Edmonton game (where he had a save percentage over 90% for the game) was on Cory, while he played worse on paper in this one, but didn't really play as poorly. This was the evening out of that. Much like Andersen's 42 save shutout was the lowering of our insane shooting percentage. I figured maybe the Jets were due for a game where there's gets lowered, but it wasn't today. There's must be over 12% on the season right now.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If anything, I think that Edmonton game (where he had a save percentage over 90% for the game) was on Cory, while he played worse on paper in this one, but didn't really play as poorly. This was the evening out of that. Much like Andersen's 42 save shutout was the lowering of our insane shooting percentage. I figured maybe the Jets were due for a game where there's gets lowered, but it wasn't today. There's must be over 12% on the season right now.

its like the analysis is purely based on rate statistics as opposed to individual instances throughout the season. that has always been my problem with save % and most advanced analytics in a sport like hockey. i dont think cory played poorly overall but the little things likei mentioned that he doesnt do ends up hurting and is covered by these impressive rate statistics. his rebound control was not that great, he was over committed, and then his stick work is pathetic.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Once we are down three and then four goals, I think the analysis that "we are the better team for the most part" goes out the window. They're just cruising, jabbing and occasionally counter-punching at that point,waiting to see if we can land a punch. Which we did not and do not.

We need to score more goals. We need to create more really dangerous chances. Those items are way down the last few weeks and that gives me cause for worry. It's not hot goaltenders who are stopping us really. We are just not creating at the same rate we were. Where is Bratt? We were also counting on Zacha and we know where is is (and isn't).

Also in the end, a team with Boyle and Zajac centering two of its four lines is not going to be terribly dynamic offensively. It may be a team, all the same, that teaches the youngsters how to win 2 - 1 games in this league, and how to play with structure.

I have no crystal ball.

But I'd like to see us build an exciting, young team that can fill the Rock and get people excited with their identity and style of play. So please Rejean Shero and John Hynes stay on topic as to those goals.

I think the Jets physicality wore them down in the 3rd, but I agree that they kinda fell flat after going down 3.

I also agree with the assertion that we are less dynamic offensively. We absolutely are. That's what happens when you try to limit chances against. And that is what they are trying to do. And it's working, but it's also killing our chances for. I'd like for them to go back to the style they played in the first several games, but that's just not going to happen with guys like Boyle getting a ton of minutes to try to lock things down every night.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is true, when we were sloppy and getting outshot we were winning games, I am neutral on Hynes because we have a .500 team on paper, maybe a little better than that, but I also dont see a lot of really outstanding coaches in the league nowadays, and none that are available to "hire"

Pretty much every other coach available has the same question marks Hynes has. We'd pretty much have to get lucky with another team getting rid of a good, established coach, or go with another young up-and-coming coach (which Hynes was by the way) that ends up being a truly great coach.

I don't think there's that much difference in coaching these days. For all the talk about systems there are only so many ways to play this game. Maybe a different coach would make better personnel decisions, but you look at just about any team's board and I'll bet they also complain about vets getting more leeway than kids, certain players being used too much, etc. Hynes isn't perfect, and I don't think he's the coach for this team once we start contending, but given where we are in the process, I'm not going to crucify the guy...yet.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Winnipeg is another team with a bad coach, that's shooting very high and finally getting some goaltending, after moving on from the sieves of Pavelec and Hutchinson, on top of Hellebuyck improving. Unless their fans are now high on Maurice and crediting him with this start.

I mean, maybe he isn't as bad of a coach as his goalie's have been throughout his coaching career, and I wanted Maurice to be an assistant for us under DeBoer when he was out of work. I don't think they should have brought him back though.
its like the analysis is purely based on rate statistics as opposed to individual instances throughout the season. that has always been my problem with save % and most advanced analytics in a sport like hockey. i dont think cory played poorly overall but the little things likei mentioned that he doesnt do ends up hurting and is covered by these impressive rate statistics. his rebound control was not that great, he was over committed, and then his stick work is pathetic.
These things usually even themselves out and I think that's what happened today. There's been a couple games where Cory played a lot better on paper than he really did, like against Arizona and Edmonton. That's why I'm not so disappointed with his play tonight, like in other games where he's been lit up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pretty much every other coach available has the same question marks Hynes has. We'd pretty much have to get lucky with another team getting rid of a good, established coach, or go with another young up-and-coming coach (which Hynes was by the way) that ends up being a truly great coach.

I don't think there's that much difference in coaching these days. For all the talk about systems there are only so many ways to play this game. Maybe a different coach would make better personnel decisions, but you look at just about any team's board and I'll bet they also complain about vets getting more leeway than kids, certain players being used too much, etc. Hynes isn't perfect, and I don't think he's the coach for this team once we start contending, but given where we are in the process, I'm not going to crucify the guy...yet.
I'm not calling for his firing, I'll be fine with keeping him throughout the season, unless we have a chance to hire someone better, in order to save our season.

I'm at the point where if we miss the playoffs after the start we had, he probably should be gone after this year.

I definitely think he's the kind of coach that can cost us a year or two of potentially competing earlier. The downside of us making the playoffs, barring a huge change in the way we play, if we do make them, he probably gets a huge rope, so if we go back to sucking again next year, he's probably back in 19-20 for another season, just for what he did this year.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
thats true... i guess im just getting frustrated bc he just hasnt carried this team at any point since the beginning of last season. he plays well for a game or two and then has a poor game or a non-exceptional game and the streak is over. just frustrating.

Reactions: Darkauron

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
people are starting to talk about hynes like AV and the rangers. i dont know any team that is happy with their coach. i think hynes has the team believing in a system and playing hard every night. thats all i ask with a coach in his position.

Reactions: thethinglonger

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hynes is pretty much the guy you stick with for a while and then you fire him right as the team becomes a serious Stanley Cup contender. Then you bring in a veteran guy with a short shelf-life (2-3 seasons) who will ride a team in its prime to getting past whatever round they're stuck in.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Hynes is pretty much the guy you stick with for a while and then you fire him right as the team becomes a serious Stanley Cup contender. Then you bring in a veteran guy with a short shelf-life (2-3 seasons) who will ride a team in its prime to getting past whatever round they're stuck in.

j. lemaire ...at your service

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Schneider had like a .925 coming into tonight WITH how shitty our D coverage has been. He was also fantastic in his past few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille