Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bryan Berard
Carlo Colaiacovo - I think he could have been a good D, hard hitting, if he wasn't the man of glass, and that derailed his development
Keith Aulie - Big man, who could fight.. when he was first with the Leafs he looked like we could have something, and then he fell off.
Kulemin - Not sure what happened... on a great trajectory, and then after that plane crash was never the same.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Berard was far from being a "physically dominant player" and definitely was not good defensively. He was an unbelievable skater with great offensive skills, but he was far from being good defensively and wasn't physical in the least. Did you actually watch him?

No never - just thought I would throw a name out there to impress the HF Board old guys.

Yes, I never missed a game on TV and saw him live twice once in Toronto once in Buffalo. "Dominant" is maybe a stretch I admit but I've been watching Gardner for awhile now so I remember as physical. The guy was a competent defender - not sure what you're talking about. Berard was a future Norris candidate beyond a doubt. A star player whose career ended early. Try to remember what he was not what ur biases were at that time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have to add Brit Selby to this list and conversation.

He won the Calder Trophy back in 1965-66 (last Leaf to do so), but his career never took off after that.

Ended up with only 117 NHL points total after being tossed around numerous NHL teams and also WHA teams.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Bryan Berard sure could skate and handle the puck. There was a good reason why he was a number 1 overall pick. But this is a guy who snubbed Ottawa, wore out his welcome with the Islanders, used a loophole to get unrestricted free agency from the Leafs, bailed on 3 more NHL teams through free agency before fading into obscurity. He still could have been an All-Star level player after the eye injury if he took training and coaching instructions seriously.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Somebody said it earlier in this thread, and I'd have to agree with Karel Pilar.

Guy seemed to have great potential. Never seemed out of place on the ice, but that dang heart condition. He was top-4 caliber for sure.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
To me, one of the biggest disappointments the Leafs had drafted was Luke Schenn. He was supposed to lead our rebuild and really never turned out to be much. I probably would have rather drafter Karlsson any day. It guess it isn't so bad since we got JVR in his trade.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Schenn is at the top for me. Didn't expect a #1, but a #3 heart and soul guy who would be a Leaf for life and a fan favourite long after that.

Eric Fichaud. Really like this one being brought up. I thought between him and Potvin, the Leafs would be set in goal for two decades (which would have ended right about now).

Mikael Tellqvist. Thought by the time he developed fully, it would have been a seamless transition to succeeding CuJo.

Dmitry Vorobiev. One of those hunches that didn't pan out.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I seen a couple of mentions to it but not really any recognition, but id say brad boyes.
He turned out be a serviceable NHL'er but I always thought he had a little bit more. He wasn't given much of a chance with us, but in the end he was basically a slightly better version of Matt Stajan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad