Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

WillieKnees

Jul 30, 2015
Canada
For me:

1. Matt Frattin (first time I saw him play an NHL game I thought he would turn out to be a real player, was wrong)
2. Biggs :shakehead
3. Schenn (simply put rushed into the league, cant pivot, cant skate at the NHL level)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Luke schenn for me.

Always wondered why too...

Was he just an early puberty kid that became man-size in Junior faster than his peers so he could dominate only until they inevitably caught up physically?

You hope for the best because he's a Leafs' prospect but there were many who suggested that he was simply just physically precocious not particularly talented and it appears that they were right. I'm not sure I've seen a teenage rookie defenseman be as physically mature since Scott Stevens.

Can't skate. He still hasn't worked out that deficiency to this day. Also, has no offensive capabilities whatsoever. Not sure if the latter can be improved with extra time in the minors.

I swear he could skate better when he was a rookie. I also think he could pivot better then. He did have a knee injury in his rookie season.

The guy doesn't even have a proper point shot. It's amazing that an NHL defenseman can't take a decent slapshot. He always goes to the wrist shot that he takes a year to get off and half the time fires it into someone's shins.

CalgaryLeaf*

Convery did come up at a time when every offensively inclined smallish center was supposed to be the next Yzerman or the next Sakic.

Convery, Daigle, Connolly, Weiss, Lundmark, etc.

Since when is 6' smallish?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Kadri.

He never became that 100+ point superstar he was supposed to become. Incredibly disappointing.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Well looking at the past 20 years or so, Kaberle may be the best of the bunch, but yes otherwise quite a few mediocre players selected.

Leafs Picks
Kaberle
Steen
Boyes
Rask

Pretty fricken sad.

Not a fan of Stralman? Tlusty, Antropov, Gunnarsson, Reimer? Kadri, Rielly?

We haven't had many world-beaters lately, that's for sure, but we've produced a pretty good number of household NHLers out of later picks, which are definitely success stories.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I had high hopes for Chris Domenico. Brutal injury the year after draft was ignored by most who called him a bust.

Not our pick but I was admittedly wrong about Ashton.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Telleqvist, Colaicovo, Boyes, Steen (though he started to play better with STL), Pogge, etc etc.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not a fan of Stralman? Tlusty, Antropov, Gunnarsson, Reimer? Kadri, Rielly?

We haven't had many world-beaters lately, that's for sure, but we've produced a pretty good number of household NHLers out of later picks, which are definitely success stories.

As I said, a lot of mediocre players over the past 20 years.

Rielly? I think he's on the wait and see list, as he's not accomplished anything that makes him memorable.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Telleqvist, Colaicovo, Boyes, Steen (though he started to play better with STL), Pogge, etc etc.

There was nothing wrong with Steen here, either. Just lofty expectations where any decent centreman was groomed as being the next Sundin.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Brad Ross

I was so upset when Tucker was bought out. Then we drafted Ross and the word on him was that he was going to be just like Tucker, so I hopped on that bandwagon real quick.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
Well looking at the past 20 years or so, Kaberle may be the best of the bunch, but yes otherwise quite a few mediocre players selected.

Leafs Picks
Kaberle
Steen
Boyes
Rask

Pretty fricken sad.

The lack of high-end players produced by the Leafs' system over the past 25 years is really depressing.

Curious to know what folks here think is the cause. Bad drafting? Bad development? Both?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The lack of high-end players produced by the Leafs' system over the past 25 years is really depressing.

Curious to know what folks here think is the cause. Bad drafting? Bad development? Both?
TSN drive on 1050 in Toronto had a daily segment that they did leading up to the draft this year dissecting Leafs drafts over the last 30 years. As you said, bad drafting and development played a huge part but the fact that they traded away so many picks if want really killed them. There was a couple of draft years where the career NHL games played by all of the players drafted was below 100. One year was 20 career games!!!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I thought Kulemin was going to utterly amazing. I remember looking at his progression up to his big goal year and thought.... hmm we may have a Datsyuk on our team.

I know at that point he wasn't a prospect. And has become a regular NHLer. But wow, was I wrong about his peak.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Backwards philosophy IMO.
The Leafs (and then Burke) tried to trade for skill (which costs you an arm and a leg) and tried to draft role players.

We've seen it. Now you have Kessel, no strong picks to bolster (they've all been traded) and you surround that player with role players that 90% bomb.

Schenn was drafted for his size as a "shutdown" D.
Ross the agitator.
Devane/Broll the 4th line pugalists.
Etc. etc.

Draft the skill and trade for the role players.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Backwards philosophy IMO.
The Leafs (and then Burke) tried to trade for skill (which costs you an arm and a leg) and tried to draft role players.

We've seen it. Now you have Kessel, no strong picks to bolster (they've all been traded) and you surround that player with role players that 90% bomb.

Schenn was drafted for his size as a "shutdown" D.
Ross the agitator.
Devane/Broll the 4th line pugalists.
Etc. etc.

Draft the skill and trade for the role players.

Whenever we choose size over skill it never works out. Still not over taking Luke Richardson over Joe Sakic. Looks like we're finally starting to learn our lesson.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Drake Berehowsky
Scott Pearson
Rob Pearson
Peter Ing
John Mcintyre
Steve Bancroft
Jeff Ware
Rob Cimetta
Landon Wilson

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Kenny Jonsson was a fav. young player for me - got traded for Clark I believe and didn't last long with the Isles.

Bryan Berard's eye injury was the biggest let-down ever - I thought we had the makings of a very strong up and coming defense core then...

True prospect let-down definitely Pogge and Tellqvist.

Hope Percy can stay healthy or he may fall into this category - he has a pro game in there.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Kenny Jonsson was a fav. young player for me - got traded for Clark I believe and didn't last long with the Isles.

Bryan Berard's eye injury was the biggest let-down ever - I thought we had the makings of a very strong up and coming defense core then...

True prospect let-down definitely Pogge and Tellqvist.

Hope Percy can stay healthy or he may fall into this category - he has a pro game in there.

Jonsson played 8 seasons with the Islanders, so I wouldn't say he didn't last long. I was very disappointed when we traded him.

He could have stayed in the NHL longer than he did. He just wanted to play in Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad