Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, he didn't quite "fall through" - his career just wasn't what it could have been due to injuries but still, Gary Nylund had franchise defenceman written all over him.

LeafsFIO*

I liked Biggs the first couple times I watched him in the OHL, thought he was a big guy who could skate alright. Hands and head never caught up to his feet and shoulders though.

Luca Cereda was the worst. Horrible he had that heart condition. Him and Sundin as a 1-2 down the middle would've been amazing. Cereda could do things with the puck very few players at his age group at the time could do.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Finn, but he still could bounce back. Lately I've been impressed wth most of our prospects.

Rufio65*

I thought Pogge was the real deal. He is the only Leaf draft pick that I've really whiffed on.

LeafsFIO*

Stefanovich and Flaake come to mind.

I really liked Flaake. He scored at a ridiculous pace in Gernany's junior ranks at 15/16. Reminded me of Tlusty when I watched him play, but a bit more physical. Thought he'd be a good penalty killer. Ron Wilson had a lot of good things to say about him.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
jeff farkas, magic hands just never really got a chance but he was highly skilled but i think old style NHL hurt the skills guys than

I also thought Reimer would be committed to and developed, not a fan of the bernier deal from the start

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Didn't completely fall through but Kulemin would be my answer.
Really hyped for Kulemin before he came over, guy was a beast. Big, fast, solid defensively, huge hitter, with a great scoring touch. top end seemed like a selke-ovi-lite perennial 30-20 guy. Trending really well and really I think just starting to show us what he was capable of until the Yaroslalv tragedy. Never seemed to find that fire again.

I'd throw Frattins hat in the ring as well, great story.

Jeremy Williams was another.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I liked Biggs the first couple times I watched him in the OHL, thought he was a big guy who could skate alright. Hands and head never caught up to his feet and shoulders though.

Luca Cereda was the worst. Horrible he had that heart condition. Him and Sundin as a 1-2 down the middle would've been amazing. Cereda could do things with the puck very few players at his age group at the time could do.

Cereda + Pillar both. like you always wonder what they could have accomplished for not of their heart conditions.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Few good names mentioned here.

Olden comes to mind immediately. Big guy, incredibly smooth stride, but not enough of everything else.

I might get ripped for this, but I'll also say Robbie Earl. Hypnotized by the speed I guess.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Sondre Olden & Juraj Mikus

If we are going to start throwing around the names of some late rounders, I would like to add Chris Didomenico's name in there. I was pretty dissapointed when he got traded. I'm not sure about how much of an impact it had on his career, but I wonder what happens if he doesn't break his leg.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Chris Didomenico. Kind of a similar prospect to Brown in terms of being an undersized underdog who managed to have prolific junior career. Couldn't make the pro jump though.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Sondre Olden, Anton Stralman (eventually became the player but not with us and i think we didn't give him the chance for it), I was also high on Brad ross for a while too.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Totally random but Phil Oreskovic. Thought he'd be a solid bottom pairing guy for us for a decade.

2003 was the first year I really started following the draft and we took John Doherty first. Always rooted for him but he never panned out.

Apparently I like big, slow, offensively-challenged defensemen.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
no, lets not.

It has been that bad. We need to slow down and wait for the pipestream to begin. BUild and foster, not rush anymore.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad