Your favourite Leaf lines and duos ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My uncle has an autographed Bower home sweater, people stop and take pictures with him when he wears it lol.

He's a die hard Habs fan, but Bower was such a class act that his sweater is the only piece of Leafs memorabilia he owns.
I remember going to a Leafs game in the mid 2000's and Bower was signing autograph's in front of Gate 1, so I decided to lineup and I'm happy to have that in my Leafs memorabilia collection.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I was not born until 1985 so I never got to see Bower and Broda play.
I know brotha , it was tongue and cheek
I believe it so but I was just adding to your and our great goalies
I wasn’t around for Broda by the way lol
But I love researching our history and honouring our past ..
Check their numbers out and check them and others out if you haven’t already
Go Leafs Go

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know brotha , it was tongue and cheek
I believe it so but I was just adding to your and our great goalies
I wasn’t around for Broda by the way lol
But I love researching our history and honouring our past ..
Check their numbers out and check them and others out if you haven’t already
Go Leafs Go
I have watched some of the old Leafs games on Leafs Nation Network when they played and it's amazing to think how they did that without any masks or the equipment they played with.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Unfortunately Keon never was blessed with great wingers other than Ellis for a bit
He had players like Terry Martin later in his career lol
By the way i Was a big fan of Ronnie Ellis
Sure could use him on our 3rd line today
Ellis was a typical north-south player. He had a great motor and shot. Interesting fact, he started with the #8 but Ace Bailey was so impressed by him that he unretired his #6 so Ellis can wear it. He was so good at the time that he played a regular shift with Bobby Clarke and Henderson during the Summit Series against Russia in '72.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
My uncle has an autographed Bower home sweater, people stop and take pictures with him when he wears it lol.

He's a die hard Habs fan, but Bower was such a class act that his sweater is the only piece of Leafs memorabilia he owns.
That’s awesome man
Here’s a cool story
My cousins older brother used to work as the bartender at the Hot Stove Lounge mostly for the alumni and players in the 70s
And he was fortunate to get Mr Bowers old blocker and mitt ( old heavy leather ) so he gave them to him , well , him and I used to play in his driveway against his garage door pretending to be Bower , we made so many puck holes in the door that my uncle being of old world European decent got so mad at us he cut the gloves up ( he had no idea the worth they were to us)
Awesome but sad story for us

Last edited:
Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and Korg

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I have watched some of the old Leafs games on Leafs Nation Network when they played and it's amazing to think how they did that without any masks or the equipment they played with.
Incredible , there’s a old clip on YouTube of Bower on the ice out of position literally stretching his neck out to but his face and head in front of the puck to save it with his maskless face which he did , truly amazing

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Ellis was a typical north-south player. He had a great motor and shot. Interesting fact, he started with the #8 but Ace Bailey was so impressed by him that he unretired his #6 so Ellis can wear it. He was so good at the time that he played a regular shift with Bobby Clarke and Henderson during the Summit Series against Russia in '72.
Absolutely
And always always took the man out at every chance , not running him through the boards , but always taking the body without fail , great puck pursuit and forechecking player

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
That’s awesome man
Here’s a cool story
My cousins older brother used to work as the bartender at the Hot Stove Lounge mostly for the alumni and players in the 70s
And he was fortunate to get Mr Bowers old blocker and mitt ( old heavy leather ) so he gave them to him , well him and I used to play in his driveway against his garage door pretending to be Bower , we made so many puck holes in the door that my uncle bring of old world European decent got so mad at us he cut the gloves up ( he had no idea the worth they were to us

Isn't your cousins older brother your cousin too??

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That’s awesome man
Here’s a cool story
And he was fortunate to get Mr Bowers old blocker and mitt ( old heavy leather ) so he gave them to him , well him and I used to play in his driveway against his garage door pretending to be Bower , we made so many puck holes in the door that my uncle bring of old world European decent got so mad at us he cut the gloves up ( he had no idea the worth they were to us

Damn, well at least you have the memories!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s awesome man
Here’s a cool story
That's a great story and thank you for sharing it.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
imho, Cujo was the most overrated goalie in leafs history, and I'm not surprised he flopped in detroit.
Hmmmm interesting , I was never a huge fan of his goaltending ?
, he certainly had great moments and games and seasons , but as a career ?? I don’t know if he was the most overrated , but up there , you may have a point , I never really thought of it that way , cuz I really wasn’t his biggest fan
Interesting indeed

Reactions: zeke

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
imho, Cujo was the most overrated goalie in leafs history, and I'm not surprised he flopped in detroit.
So how did he get Toronto to Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 1999 during his first season in Toronto, where as 1 year earlier they missed the playoffs in 1998.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So how did he get Toronto to Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 1999 during his first season in Toronto, where as 1 year earlier they missed the playoffs in 1998.

Aha here's the big secret!!

97/98 ----------> 98/99

#23 GF --------> #1 GF
#21 GA --------> #21 GA
.902sv% ------> .904sv%
Potvin .906 -> Cujo .910

It had nothing to do with goaltending at all! We didn't even improve in goals against.

But we hired an amazing new coach who understood how to play fast flowing hockey, and who completely rebuilt the dcorps from plugs to skilled puck movers:

Schneider ----> Berard
Macoun -----> Cote
Yushkevich --> Yushkevich
Smith ----------> Karpovtsev
Zettler -------> Markov
Brown/Gustavsson ---> Kaberle

Throw in a swap of broken down Wendel for an ageless Stumpy, and development from young guys like Sullivan Johnson Modin....And we moved all the way from 4th worst offense to having the BEST offense in hockey!

Reactions: vpasla1

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Matthews/Marner has to be the most talented duo we've seen.

Also really surprised nobody has mentioned that great shutdown line from those early 90's runs, Berg-Zezel-Osborne. Not the most talented line, but great at what they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad