Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Players

Avs44

May 16, 2011
EJ will either waive his NMC or bought out. Or he might be exempt due to the amount of games missed due to injury, but I can't find that info, someone mentioned it though.

These are all ifs, and until one of them actually happens, I'm going to keep assuming EJ has to be protected.

1) The injury thing is really uncertain, the only way I see EJ being exempt is if it turns out his injury is career ending.
2) I'm not at all convinced buying EJ out is the smart thing to do. I echo Cousin Eddie's thoughts on it over on the Avs board.
3) The Avs could ask EJ to waive (Sakic might not want to, given EJs loyalty to the club). EJ could say yes. He could also say no. Last expansion draft, Fleury agreed to waive his NMC when the Pens asked. The Sens also asked Phaneuf, the Panthers also asked Yandle, and both of them refused. EJ has every right to do the same, and nobody in that locker-room will hold it against him. He earned the NMC.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The point was that Oilers won't be losing much in value.

Seattle will probably take one of the pending UFAs from EDM and hope they can sign em. RNH/Barrie/Larsson

Guys available like Jones, Lagesson, Turris, Khaira can be picked up via waivers.

Yeah not much picking but forfeit the pick is better than picking Neal

Reactions: LTIR

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Seattle is not going to be a Vegas, that's for sure. They could hedge the lack of good forwards by acquired and flipping top-4/6 Ds which are available.

Reactions: mondo3

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Nick Paul
Connor Brown
Evgeni Dadonov
Colin White
Chris Tierney/Austin Watson

Defense
Thomas Chabot
Nikita Zaitsev
Victor Mete/Josh Brown(?? no one else to protect)

Goalies
Matt Murray/Joey Daccord

I assume this is what the protection list will look like but it could be a bit different. For one I think it's possible that we see Tierney not being protected so the team can keep Austin Watson, Vitaly Abramov or Logan Brown. It depends on how things play out at the end of the season but as of now I would say it's likely both L. Brown and Abramov are exposed. I'm not sure who the team would rather protect between Watson and Tierney.

Sens don't really have much to protect since most players that will be on the roster are not eligible for expansion draft. Stutzle, Norris, Formenton, Pinto, Brannstrom, Zub, Bernard-Docker are all exempt.

Potentially unprotected

Vitaly Abramov
Logan Brown
Joey Daccord (G)/Matt Murray
Filip Gustavsson (G)
Austin Watson/Chris Tierney
Marcus Hogberg (G)
Michael Amadio
Clark Bishop

I think the most likely to be picked out of these guys would be Watson/Tierney or one of the young goalies. Daccord is a legit prospect and Gustavsson seems to be coming into his own. Abramov is a good skill guy who can play with an edge but he's on the smaller side. I highly doubt there will be a spot for him on this roster going forward which leads me to believe he won't be here after this season. Logan Brown is a legit prospect as well, great numbers in the AHL but always injured and questions about his work ethic.

Also not entirely impossible to believe the Sens would protect Daccord or Gustavsson instead of Murray assuming he won't get picked up with that contract.

I think the most logical thing to do for Ottawa would be to try and trade a forward for a defensemen that won't get protected by another team since we only really have 1 defensemen worth protecting in Chabot. Would be a perfect time for Ottawa to add 1 or 2 good veterans on defense.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Nick Paul
Connor Brown
Evgeni Dadonov
Colin White
Chris Tierney/Austin Watson

Defense
Thomas Chabot
Nikita Zaitsev
Victor Mete/Josh Brown(?? no one else to protect)

Goalies
Matt Murray/Joey Daccord

I assume this is what the protection list will look like but it could be a bit different. For one I think it's possible that we see Tierney not being protected so the team can keep Austin Watson, Vitaly Abramov or Logan Brown. It depends on how things play out at the end of the season but as of now I would say it's likely both L. Brown and Abramov are exposed. I'm not sure who the team would rather protect between Watson and Tierney.

Sens don't really have much to protect since most players that will be on the roster are not eligible for expansion draft. Stutzle, Norris, Formenton, Pinto, Brannstrom, Zub, Bernard-Docker are all exempt.

Potentially unprotected

Vitaly Abramov
Logan Brown
Joey Daccord (G)/Matt Murray
Filip Gustavsson (G)
Austin Watson/Chris Tierney
Marcus Hogberg (G)
Michael Amadio
Clark Bishop

I think the most likely to be picked out of these guys would be Watson/Tierney or one of the young goalies. Daccord is a legit prospect and Gustavsson seems to be coming into his own. Abramov is a good skill guy who can play with an edge but he's on the smaller side. I highly doubt there will be a spot for him on this roster going forward which leads me to believe he won't be here after this season. Logan Brown is a legit prospect as well, great numbers in the AHL but always injured and questions about his work ethic.

Also not entirely impossible to believe the Sens would protect Daccord or Gustavsson instead of Murray assuming he won't get picked up with that contract.

I think the most logical thing to do for Ottawa would be to try and trade a forward for a defensemen that won't get protected by another team since we only really have 1 defensemen worth protecting in Chabot. Would be a perfect time for Ottawa to add 1 or 2 good veterans on defense.
What I have....

upload_2021-4-16_12-58-9.png

Reactions: Boud and Cogburn

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
why would Seattle waste a pick on a UFA?

Depends on what's available per team. Using CapFriendly's expansion page, there'll be some teams that won't have anything attractive. Vegas picked Deryk Engelland from Calgary in 2017 and signed him to a new deal. There wasn't a ton available from the Flames, I'm sure others would have drafted a guy like Hunter Shinkaruk and tried to sign Engelland after July 1.

I could see Seattle going that route with the Devils if Ryan Murray were left unprotected. Murray played his junior hockey in Everett a little bit north of Seattle. Taking him and signing him to a new deal might be preferable to taking Nick Merkley (already cleared waivers), Nathan Bastian (younger guy, limited upside), or Will Butcher / Andreas Johnsson (relatively ugly contracts).

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Vancouver protects (7/3/1)
Pettersson,
Boeser,
Miller,
Horvat,
Pearson,
Motte,
one of Lind/ Gadjovich (depends if you want a prospective 3C or a prospective bruising power forward)
Schmidt,
Myers,
Juolevi
Demko

An article today from our local fan site predicted that Zack MacEwen gets selected from Vancouver, though if Seattle wants to give Virtanen a Krak at rediscovering his potential then be my guest (Roussel, Beagle and a slew of overpaid guys and UFA's, plus Madison Bowey and Holtby are also available). On second thought, please pick Virtanen.

Reactions: Cogburn

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Preds in a crappy position again because they have to go 4/4/1.

Forsberg
Johansen
Duchene
Arvidsson

Josi
Ekholm
Ellis
Fabbro

Saros

Players exposed that have a high likelihood of being claimed: Kunin, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Trenin

Duchene is absolutely useless and maybe Poile can swing a deal to get rid of him to protect one of the above but I doubt it. More likely is one of Ekholm or Ellis get traded beforehand so the Preds can go 7/3/1 which would solve a lot of the problems.
haven't watched you guys at all this year. but the pen's could protect another de-man. but they would need to be an improvement over the players we now have, would help if they were cheaper.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They have 48hrs to agree to a deal pre ED.

They also have a window to negotiate with all UFA's before any other team can prior to the start of FA just like Vegas did. They can just pick someone else and take a stab at him there.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
the reason why the board seems to want him unprotected, his 5M may get in the way of the cap ceiling the year that all our plyers will have required a raise (including 2021-1st)... so may as well get rid of him

I don't think Seattle would have any qualms with that. He might be the best natural center on the entire draft board.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00