MtL will protect

Kk
Gallagher
Anderson
Toffoli
Drouin
Evans
Lehkhonen
(Handsgake deal with Danault and Tatar to be back after the ED)

Weber
Petry
Edmubdson

Allen
(Price will waive as it's a win win for him to do so)

So SEA gets to pick either Byron or Chiarot! Thanks

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think we'll go 7-3-1 but not sure who we protect because so many UFA's.

Kerfoot, Engvall and maybe Holl are looking like the top candidates.

We have a funny situation with Freddy, Hyman, Simmonds, Spezza, Thornton and now Foligno all UFA's so we don't need to protect.

We seem to be in good shape.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
MtL will protect

Kk
Gallagher
Anderson
Toffoli
Drouin
Evans
Lehkhonen
(Handsgake deal with Danault and Tatar to be back after the ED)

Weber
Petry
Edmubdson

Allen
(Price will waive as it's a win win for him to do so)

So SEA gets to pick either Byron or Chiarot! Thanks
Not sure why we would protect Weber ? Respect? Not exactly an attractive option for Seattle .

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Caps:
Forwards
Backstrom
Oshie
Mantha
Kuznetsov
Eller
Wilson
Ovechkin if resigned before expansion draft if not Sheary or Sprong

Defence
Carlson
Orlov
*Dillon/Schultz/Jensen

Goalie
Samsonov

Vanecek is probably a player Kraken might take, Sheary/Sprong might be decent picks as they produce quite well. Will be interesting to see who they expose from defence as Dillon might be interesting for Seattle. While Schultz are the best of the guys he only have one more year left and Seattle might want a defender with some term.

Reactions: Cogburn

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Barring pre-draft trades, the Rangers will protect:

Forwards: Zib, Panarin, Kreider, Strome, Buchnevich and Chytil
Defense: Trouba, Lindgren
Goalie: Georgiev

The last spot on defense will likely be Hajek. We really don't have anyone else that we need to protect. It would have been DeAngelo, but you know.

We only have 3 forwards who have the necessary games played and are under contract for next season. Strome, Rooney and Blackwell. Strome will be protected. If either Blackwell or Rooney are protected, we'll have to re-sign one of Howden or Gauthier before the draft. It's probably more likely that we protect one of Howden/Gauthier, but both Blackwell and Rooney have been good for us this year.

So most likely, Seattle will have their choice of Blackwell, Rooney, one of Howden/Gauthier, DeAngelo, Bitetto, Kinkaid and a bunch of minor leaguers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Tanev, Blueger, ZAR, McCann

The consensus 7 on the Pens board right now is Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Kapanen, Blueger, and McCann.

I'd love to hear an argument for Zucker over any of those players right now. Of the players on your list, McCann and Blueger are better this year, younger, and cheaper.

Maybe Zucker is great for the rest of the year and catapults himself into protected position. But right now he's on the outside looking in.

Last edited:

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The consensus 7 on the Pens board right now is Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Kapanen, Blueger, and McCann.

I'd love to hear an argument for Zucker over any of those players right now. Of the players on your list, McCann and Blueger are better this year, younger, and cheaper.

And that take is such a short term take. GMs don't work that way. They look at the players entire body of work. And I can guarantee you that GMRH considers Zucker to be a more valuable piece going forward than Blueger. McCann because of his age and capability is more valuable than Blueger and thus he gets the last slot.

IMO, what they should do is protect McCann and then pay Seattle a 2nd round pick to not take Blueger. Then Seattle gets to choose from the following:

Tanev
ZAR
Matheson
DeSmith

I believe that is why GMRH stated they would not trade this year's 2nd round pick. So they can use it for the ED.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Not sure why we would protect Weber ? Respect? Not exactly an attractive option for Seattle .
Cause Weber is still better than Chiarot, or an other D-man we'd protect.

Force them to pick Byron or Chiarot, dumping a contract for free. I could see them leaving Weber unprotected, and protect Fleury to make SURE SEA takes a cap dump from MTL

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And that take is such a short term take. GMs don't work that way. They look at the players entire body of work. And I can guarantee you that GMRH considers Zucker to be a more valuable piece going forward than Blueger. McCann because of his age and capability is more valuable than Blueger and thus he gets the last slot.

IMO, what they should do is protect McCann and then pay Seattle a 2nd round pick to not take Blueger. Then Seattle gets to choose from the following:

Tanev
ZAR
Matheson
DeSmith

I believe that is why GMRH stated they would not trade this year's 2nd round pick. So they can use it for the ED.

The "take" is that Zucker has never found his niche here, and the other two play valuable roles.

Maybe Hextall bribes Seattle to not take a player, but if he doesn't, McCann and Blueger mean more to this team until Zucker shows otherwise. For Zucker to be worth 5.5 mil per to this team, he either has to find a way to click with Malkin, or be very productive in a bottom 6 role.

So far he's done neither.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR
Rangers have 6 definite forwards to protect:
Chris Kreider (Contract clause)
Mika Zibanejad (Contract clause)
Artemi Panarin (Contract clause)
Pavel Buchnevich
Ryan Strome
Filip Chytil

Beyond those 6 (assuming no trades happen) Rangers we'll have to choose between the following players:
Brenden Lemieux (Traded for a pick)
Julien Gauthier
Colin Blackwell
Kevin Rooney
Julien Gauthier
Brett Howden

I think Blackwell has performed well enough to want to keep over a player like Brenden Lemieux, so trading him for whatever we got is a fine outcome. The choice probably comes down to keeping a young player in Gauthier or keeping an energy workhorse in Blackwell.

We're in a good position where no trade has to be made to ensure a player is selected or not selected by Seattle.

We're in a good position on defense as well.
Ryan Lindgren
Jacob Trouba (Contract clause)

We've got 1 choice left on a bunch of meh players.
Libor Hajek
Anthony Bitetto
Jack Johnson
Brendan Smith

It'll be Hajek, unless we want to keep UFA Bitetto who got injured this season. So I can't see any team wanting a deal for one of our expansion exposed players. There's a lot of meh listed.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
What about holl . That’s who I would want if I was seattle
good chance the Leafs go 4-4-1 rather than 7-3-1
...if only to protect Holl.
up front, after Mathews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander, pick away. lots of useful, but, none that are killers

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Montreal will lose Jake Allen unless they pay Seattle to take one of the plethora of bad contracts...it's almost a given...

not sure there will be a fair number of goalies Seattle can take. Would not fault them for taking Allen but there maybe some better long term guys

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Preds in a crappy position again because they have to go 4/4/1.

Forsberg
Johansen
Duchene
Arvidsson

Josi
Ekholm
Ellis
Fabbro

Saros

Players exposed that have a high likelihood of being claimed: Kunin, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Trenin

Duchene is absolutely useless and maybe Poile can swing a deal to get rid of him to protect one of the above but I doubt it. More likely is one of Ekholm or Ellis get traded beforehand so the Preds can go 7/3/1 which would solve a lot of the problems.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers may lose Neal, Kassian or Russell

They really got no one to protect if they walk away from Barrie, Larsson.

Drai, McD, Yama, Pulju, RNH? , Archibald? Benson?

Nurse and then a whole lot of meh. Lagesson? Jones? Bear? Russell? Klefbom?

They can add a goalie just to expose Koskinen
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Oilers leave both Koskinen and Klefbom exposed. Klefbom, completely depending on his recovery and expecations on the ice, and Koskinen in hopes that they take him so we can start fresh with goalies next year. It says a lot about the Oilers that we might be in the position where we are protecting Josh Archibald. I love his energy, but he shouldn't be the type of guy we need to protect.

Most likely loss is Lagesson or Jones in my opinion. Both are young, cheap, but have had consistency issues.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What good young Dman are we talking about?
If Oilers protect Klefbom, Nurse, Bear then there is nothing left on D that you cannot fill via waivers, free agency or from your farm system.

It's only an issue if EDM signs both Larsson and Barrie before expansion draft.

if Edmonton signs one of those - and let’s be serious, it’s us - that’ll mean losing either Klef or Bear.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary had protection questions going in to the season. They are pretty much gone now.

It appeared Sam Bennett would be left unprotected. He's gone now. At forward there's basically nothing worth taking left.

At D, Tanev has played himself into being protected and Gio has played himself out of it. Gio will be available if Seattle wants an aging almost $7 million dman. If I'm Seattle, Kylington might have enough upside to take. Honestly he isn't really being given a fair shake here at the moment.

Yeah.
Seattle should have access to Mark Giordano.
The next option is like... Kylington maybe? I believe Calgary has an extension for an additional year set for Nordstrom as well; so he'll be a forward avaialble.

Giordano is the right pick here. It's an expensive contract, but it's likely a first round pick waiting for them at the 2021-2022 deadline as well.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
On cap Friendly the below is who I would protect for Edmonton
View attachment 422326

I would assume a handshake agreement with RNH that he re-signs after expansion draft. Maybe also with Smith, but really think the Oilers needs to find a different starter.
I think Lagesson gets protected over Jones if we go 4 and 4. I don't think we do though, I think we may go 7/3/1 and protect McDavid, Draisaitl, Pulujarvi, Yamamoto, Archibald, Khaira, Benson for F, and Nurse, Lagesson and Bear for D (Klefbom left exposed due to injury concerns), and Skinner for goalie. I'm not sure if I try to swing a deal to have them pick anyone specific, as it would cost too much to do so for Neal. Kassian I'm sure won't be picked, but it could happen. Same with Russell or Turris, if there is nothing they really want and are okay with taking a cheap contract they can let expire in a year. Koskinen might actually get chosen, but I don't know if Holland actually exposes him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
if Edmonton signs one of those - and let’s be serious, it’s us - that’ll mean losing either Klef or Bear.
If we sign both, its a sign that Holland doesn't think Klefbom has anything left, and he is willing to protect 4 F and 4D. Might not be a horrible option in all honesty. Protect Nurse, Larsson, Barrie and Bear at D, McD, Drai, Pulujarvi and Yamamoto at F. Even under 4 and 4 we aren't losing anyone that we can't replace, aside from maybe Klefbom or Benson, and both are mysteries going forward.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
KINGS

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
Athanasiou

Doughty
Roy
Walker
Strand

Petersen

Me thinks the Kings are going to be active making trades before the expansion draft. We have a few young players that have shown promise and we would hate to lose for nothing

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The "take" is that Zucker has never found his niche here, and the other two play valuable roles.

Maybe Hextall bribes Seattle to not take a player, but if he doesn't, McCann and Blueger mean more to this team until Zucker shows otherwise. For Zucker to be worth 5.5 mil per to this team, he either has to find a way to click with Malkin, or be very productive in a bottom 6 role.

So far he's done neither.

I'll give you 2: he's capable of 30 goals and has a lot more value than McCann & Blueger combined.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'll give you 2: he's capable of 30 goals and has a lot more value than McCann & Blueger combined.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched him - or McCann and Blueger - play with the Pens at all.

Zucker is capable of 30 goals in the sense that he has scored 30 goals, once, 3 years ago. Unfortunately, he has been handily outplayed by both McCann and Blueger this year, who are in critical PP and defensive roles, far younger, and far cheaper.

The only time he looked like he was worth his money with the Pens was when he was on Crosby's LW last year, and when Guentzel's healthy that's simply not going to happen.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Looking at CapFriendly, the Rangers have more protection spots than guys I would want to protect lol. So many exempt players due to ELCs. Can the Rangers expose Tony DeAngelo? and then buy him out if he's not taken?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched him - or McCann and Blueger - play with the Pens at all.

Zucker is capable of 30 goals in the sense that he has scored 30 goals, once, 3 years ago. Unfortunately, he has been handily outplayed by both McCann and Blueger this year, who are in critical PP and defensive roles, far younger, and far cheaper.

The only time he looked like he was worth his money with the Pens was when he was on Crosby's LW last year, and when Guentzel's healthy that's simply not going to happen.

That still doesn't justify leaving him unprotected vs keeping him as a trade chip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad