Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Players

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
What about holl . That’s who I would want if I was seattle
Leafs should protect Holl. he has stabilised our right side.

for the sake of the thread I would trade Dermott for a prospect with decent chance of being an NHL regular (preferably a Dman) rather than lose him to Seattle

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Oilers may lose Neal or Russell

They really got no one to protect if they walk away from Barrie, Larsson.

Drai, McD, Yama, Pulju, RNH? , Archibald? Benson?

Nurse and then a whole lot of meh. Lagesson? Jones? Bear? Russell? Klefbom?

They can add a goalie just to expose Koskinen

really?? no team wants these two players. cmon

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
my guess is Klefbom. Really a shame. There’s much more to be gained by Seattle picking him than by Edmonton protecting him.

If we protect him and he can’t go, we squandered a protection spot for nothing and probably lost a good young defenceman. From Seattle’s POV, they either get a top 4 D on a good contract or LTIR space to weaponize. Win win.

Klefbom hasn't been durable. I wouldn't take him if I were the Kraken

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
KINGS

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
Athanasiou

Doughty
Roy
Walker
Strand

Petersen

Me thinks the Kings are going to be active making trades before the expansion draft. We have a few young players that have shown promise and we would hate to lose for nothing
Yeah I don’t see the 4-4. I still say 7-3.

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
AA
Moore
Grundstrum
And then one of Wagner/Lizotte/Lemieux

Doughty
Roy
Walker

is protecting Strand or Clague worth losing Moore or Grundstrum? Not sure.

Reactions: Cogburn

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That still doesn't justify leaving him unprotected vs keeping him as a trade chip.

We also have other exposed assets that may be more valuable if Zucker doesn't prove useful - namely DeSmith.

Could Zucker return something more useful in a trade? Maybe, maybe not.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah I don’t see the 4-4. I still say 7-3.

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
AA
Moore
Grundstrum
And then one of Wagner/Lizotte/Lemieux

Doughty
Roy
Walker

is protecting Strand or Clague worth losing Moore or Grundstrum? Not sure.

Trades wil happen rather than losing them for nothing.. and Yes, i'd rather have Strand than Tonka.
Though, should Jack Eichel become available then guys like Iafallo, Walker, Maatta Wagner, Tonka, Kempe, JAD, Vilardi and Kupari would all be in play..

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
We also have other exposed assets that may be more valuable if Zucker doesn't prove useful - namely DeSmith.

Could Zucker return something more useful in a trade? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you think a 29yo Desmith would fetch in a market where good young goalies are available

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm almost afraid to ask what you think a 29yo Desmith would fetch in a market where good young goalies are available

DeSmith is dirt cheap with a proven track record. I'm not really worried what he's worth to other teams. He's been a valuable contributor to this team for a long time.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
my guess is Klefbom. Really a shame. There’s much more to be gained by Seattle picking him than by Edmonton protecting him.

If we protect him and he can’t go, we squandered a protection spot for nothing and probably lost a good young defenceman. From Seattle’s POV, they either get a top 4 D on a good contract or LTIR space to weaponize. Win win.
I think they'll go 4/4 if they cant re-sign RNH

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Trades wil happen rather than losing them for nothing.. and Yes, i'd rather have Strand than Tonka.
Though, should Jack Eichel become available then guys like Iafallo, Walker, Maatta Wagner, Tonka, Kempe, JAD, Vilardi and Kupari would all be in play..
Dont get me wrong Strand was a nice surprise this season after he seemed to have been passed on the depth chart, but he's played a whopping 13 NHL games. I also think you're going to have to up the ante if you're thinking any of those guys would be considered main pieces for Eichel. If the Kings were to have a 24 year old #1 center, would you think any of those players would be good enough to land him? I dont think so. If I were Buffalo I'd ask for bare minimum, Iafallo, Walker, Byfield and a 1st.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Avs will just take the hit and lose a decent player. No purpose trying to trade someone off only to lose someone else who is decent. Assuming Landeskog is re-signed, the Avs' protection list will probably look like this:

MacK, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, EJ (NMC), Toews, Girard, Makar, goalie.

Exposed: Burakovsky, Donskoi, Graves, Jost, Compher, Nichushkin.

Obviously several middle six forwards for Seattle to pick from there, but the Avs can take the hit comfortably. Or Graves, I suppose, if Seattle doesn't see a ton of D options elsewhere, love his 2019/20 season, and figure there's upside there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers may lose Neal, Kassian or Russell

They really got no one to protect if they walk away from Barrie, Larsson.

Drai, McD, Yama, Pulju, RNH? , Archibald? Benson?

Nurse and then a whole lot of meh. Lagesson? Jones? Bear? Russell? Klefbom?

They can add a goalie just to expose Koskinen

There is no chance the Oilers would lose Neal

and very little chance Kassian or Russel

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Avs will just take the hit and lose a decent player. No purpose trying to trade someone off only to lose someone else who is decent. Assuming Landeskog is re-signed, the Avs' protection list will probably look like this:

Obviously several middle six forwards for Seattle to pick from there, but the Avs can take the hit comfortably. Or Graves, I suppose, if Seattle doesn't see a ton of D options elsewhere, love his 2019/20 season, and figure there's upside there.

some decent players

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I think the leafs will go 4-4-1

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares
Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl
Campbell

Signed/RFA exposed players would be: Engvall, Kerfoot, Dermott
Unsigned exposed players would be: Hyman, Simmonds, Thornton, Spezza, Foligno, Galchenyuk, Bogosian, Rittich, Andersen
Exempt are: Mikehyev, Robertson, Sandin, Liljeren, etc.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
On cap Friendly the below is who I would protect for Edmonton
View attachment 422326

I would assume a handshake agreement with RNH that he re-signs after expansion draft. Maybe also with Smith, but really think the Oilers needs to find a different starter.
RNH will be looking for Duchene$$ (rightfully so), and he'll get it from SEA, EDM won't be able to match an 8 x 7 deal

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The Pens will be:

Protected:

Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Kapanen
Zucker
McCann

Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Jarry

Unprotected:

Blueger (I think the Pens should pay their 2021 2nd rounder for Seattle to ignore Blueger)
Tanev
ZAR
Matheson
DeSmith

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Preds in a crappy position again because they have to go 4/4/1.

Forsberg
Johansen
Duchene
Arvidsson

Josi
Ekholm
Ellis
Fabbro

Saros

Players exposed that have a high likelihood of being claimed: Kunin, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Trenin

Duchene is absolutely useless and maybe Poile can swing a deal to get rid of him to protect one of the above but I doubt it. More likely is one of Ekholm or Ellis get traded beforehand so the Preds can go 7/3/1 which would solve a lot of the problems.

Why protect Duchene? Or Johansen for that matter? Neither has an NMC. I doubt Seattle would take either of those contracts.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Dont get me wrong Strand was a nice surprise this season after he seemed to have been passed on the depth chart, but he's played a whopping 13 NHL games. I also think you're going to have to up the ante if you're thinking any of those guys would be considered main pieces for Eichel. If the Kings were to have a 24 year old #1 center, would you think any of those players would be good enough to land him? I dont think so. If I were Buffalo I'd ask for bare minimum, Iafallo, Walker, Byfield and a 1st.
If the Kings land out of the top 5, meaning no Power, Hughes, Brandt, Edvinsson then it could be part of the package... Vilardi, Kupari, Iafallo, 2021 1st and possibly a cap dump in Maatta

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Players I expect to be protected by the Blues:

- O'Reilly
- Schenn
- Tarasenko
- Perron
- Thomas
- Kyrou
- Schwartz / Sundqvist (if we resign Schwartz before the expansion draft, he will be protected, otherwise Sundqvist)

- Parayko
- Krug
- Faulk

- Binnington

Potential draft targets:

- Dunn
- Sundqvist
- Barbashev
- Sanford
- Scandella
- Husso

So St.Louis is probably going to lose one of Dunn or Sundqvist. Unless the Blues decide they want to get rid of a big contract and protect Dunn over one of Krug or Faulk. But I don't see that happening.

...but then again, no one saw it coming that the Blues would protect Ryan Reaves last draft expansion so who knows.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There is no chance the Oilers would lose Neal

and very little chance Kassian or Russel
The point was that Oilers won't be losing much in value.

Seattle will probably take one of the pending UFAs from EDM and hope they can sign em. RNH/Barrie/Larsson

Guys available like Jones, Lagesson, Turris, Khaira can be picked up via waivers.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

EJ will either waive his NMC or bought out. Or he might be exempt due to the amount of games missed due to injury, but I can't find that info, someone mentioned it though.

Expansion draft protect 7F, 3D, 1G
Forwards
Protected = Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushin, Jost
Exposed = Donskoi and Compher
UFA = Saad, Calvert, Bellemare, Soderberg
Exempt = O'Connor (unless he plays 5 more games, than exposed (currently on IR week-to-week))

Defensemen
Protected = Girard, Toews, Makar
Exposed = Graves, MacDonald, and Johnson (EJ has NMC, will be asked to waive, if not, will be bought out)
UFA = Nemeth
Exempt = Byram

Goalies
Protected = Grubauer
Exposed = Francouz, Johansson, and Miska
UFA = Dubnyk

Also assuming Landeskog and Grubauer will re-sign in the off-season (both UFA)

Reactions: Brett44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad