Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Players

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's early, but the title says it all:

If your team has too many players you'd hope to protect, and think it would be a shame that they lose one, or more, of said players for nothing, what would the cost be for those players?

There are plenty of teams out there that may have a hard time filling their protection list, such as my Canucks as an example, who could offer some kind of better return than nothing, or a much lesser player not being selected by Seattle. That said, I don't want this to turn into a bunch of incredibly lowball offers, justified by "well you'll lose him/them for nothing if you don't take our fifth round pick" kind of proposals.

So is there anyone foreseeing a problem with protecting everyone worth while on their team?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils aren't losing much.

Probably Johnsson, Merkley and Bastian exposed at forward and Butcher on defense.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Probably Johnsson, Merkley and Bastian exposed at forward and Butcher on defense.

How has Bastian been the last few seasons? I thought he seemed to be a hit or miss prospect, but there was some buzz around him before everyone got quiet.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

So the list is

Hischier
Bratt
Zacha
Wood
Kuokkanen
Sharangovich
McLeod

Yeah, looks like it will be Bastian, damn. For some reason I thought we'd be able to keep him.

How has Bastian been the last few seasons? I thought he seemed to be a hit or miss prospect, but there was some buzz around him before everyone got quiet.

Don't know about previous seasons but he's been good this year, looks like a good checking player.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Bastian got hurt this year and has missed the last few weeks but he's been pretty solid overall. His size and ability to play physical should keep him employed but I don't see him as anything more than a bottom six guy who can pot maybe 15 goals at his peak.

Reactions: Cogburn and HBK27

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's early, but the title says it all:

If your team has too many players you'd hope to protect, and think it would be a shame that they lose one, or more, of said players for nothing, what would the cost be for those players?

There are plenty of teams out there that may have a hard time filling their protection list, such as my Canucks as an example, who could offer some kind of better return than nothing, or a much lesser player not being selected by Seattle. That said, I don't want this to turn into a bunch of incredibly lowball offers, justified by "well you'll lose him/them for nothing if you don't take our fifth round pick" kind of proposals.

So is there anyone foreseeing a problem with protecting everyone worth while on their team?

I’d still bet money on Dumba being the odd man out, one way or the other.

I’d probably hope for a Mantha-like return.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So the list is

Hischier
Bratt
Zacha
Wood
Kuokkanen
Sharangovich
McLeod

Yeah, looks like it will be Bastian, damn. For some reason I thought we'd be able to keep him.

Don't know about previous seasons but he's been good this year, looks like a good checking player.

The good news is that McLeod, Sharangovich and Kuokannen all worked their way onto the protected list this season.

Of the exposed group, Bastian is the player I'd least like to lose though I don't think he has all that much value - just adds some size and a physical presence to the team, but he seems to top out at a 4th liner.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to the Devils offering a 4th-6th round pick to help steer Seattle towards Butcher or maybe even Johnsson (though he still may be able to rebound and have a future with this team), but if they go with Bastian it's not a huge loss.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hoping Butcher can be dangled to Arizona as a cheap, mid-upside alternative to their expensive, expiring defensemen.

If not, he's likely exposed. Johnsson, too. I'd be willing to move a mid-to-late round pick to Seattle to take Johnsson.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers may lose Neal, Kassian or Russell

They really got no one to protect if they walk away from Barrie, Larsson.

Drai, McD, Yama, Pulju, RNH? , Archibald? Benson?

Nurse and then a whole lot of meh. Lagesson? Jones? Bear? Russell? Klefbom?

They can add a goalie just to expose Koskinen

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I think Oilers will lose one of Jones, Bear or Klefbom (if all need protecting)
I like Jones, Bear and Klefbom, and Nurse is guarantee to be protected.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020

There is no chance in hell Seattle claims Neal or Kassian unless the Oilers are paying them 1st round picks to do so.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
On cap Friendly the below is who I would protect for Edmonton
upload_2021-4-14_15-27-15.png

I would assume a handshake agreement with RNH that he re-signs after expansion draft. Maybe also with Smith, but really think the Oilers needs to find a different starter.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
meh, expansion draft drama is 99% fake
expose a bunch of guys, lose one, move on
you're gonna have 1 guy claimed, no matter what

And, despite our brilliance and intuition,
no one can accurately predict which exposed player Seattle will claim from each team.

The guy expected to be obvious choice may be passed over, for another from that team,
due to position, Cap Hit, age, contract status, pre-existing relationships. whatever

We will enjoy endless posting and speculation here,
but I suspect front offices learned from Vegas experience, and will play it simple and straight
The teams which were 'too smart' - Panthers, Ducks, Jackets, maybe - got little benefit from over-thinking it.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
With the Islanders I’m not even sure what route Lou will go in. I’d suspect these forwards to be exposed: Clutterbuck, Komarov, Ladd, Martin, Dal Colle (RFA). This leaves Lou to protect: Barzal, Pageau, Nelson, Beauvillier, Lee, Bailey, Eberle. As for defenseman, I’d suspect Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield/Aho protected leaving Hickey and Leddy (Barry likes him a lot but his cap hit is excessive for who they still have to sign) exposed. The GM is Lou so we won’t know until the actual expansion draft itself what list he goes with.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Oilers will lose one of Jones, Bear or Klefbom (if all need protecting)
I like Jones, Bear and Klefbom, and Nurse is guarantee to be protected.

my guess is Klefbom. Really a shame. There’s much more to be gained by Seattle picking him than by Edmonton protecting him.

If we protect him and he can’t go, we squandered a protection spot for nothing and probably lost a good young defenceman. From Seattle’s POV, they either get a top 4 D on a good contract or LTIR space to weaponize. Win win.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Assuming Bruins don’t sign Krejci, Hall and Rask until after the draft, Bruins would expose:

Kase, Lazar, Senyshyn and one of Ritchie/Frederic/Smith up front.

Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton on D

And Booth at Goalie.

Good money is on Lauzon, but could also see the one from Ritchie/Frederic/Smith depending on how things are looking for Seattle. I could see the Bruins offering multiple young pieces, say Zboril and Steen, to keep Lauzon, but not picks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Bastian got hurt this year and has missed the last few weeks but he's been pretty solid overall. His size and ability to play physical should keep him employed but I don't see him as anything more than a bottom six guy who can pot maybe 15 goals at his peak.

Sounds like what I was hoping to hear, a promising bottom six guy. Is there a cost for him? Or is he more valuable to the team then what he'd get back?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I’d still bet money on Dumba being the odd man out, one way or the other.

I’d probably hope for a Mantha-like return.

I mean I'd have paid that for Dumba before our season went south. If we come across a late first through another trade, or light up the 19 games the Canucks are over due, let's explore this a little more.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With the Islanders I’m not even sure what route Lou will go in. I’d suspect these forwards to be exposed: Clutterbuck, Komarov, Ladd, Martin, Dal Colle (RFA). This leaves Lou to protect: Barzal, Pageau, Nelson, Beauvillier, Lee, Bailey, Eberle. As for defenseman, I’d suspect Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield/Aho protected leaving Hickey and Leddy (Barry likes him a lot but his cap hit is excessive for who they still have to sign) exposed. The GM is Lou so we won’t know until the actual expansion draft itself what list he goes with.

Way I see it we either do 8-1 and protect Mayfield and Leddy or 7-3-1 and protect all our forwards but leave one of Leddy/Mayfield open. I don't think Aho has done enough to worry about losing him. I am leaning towards going the protect the defense route and hope Seattle takes on of the bigger contracts(although Bellows would also be available).

In a perfect world we probably lose Bailey or Eberle since I think Wahlstrom can come in and take one of their spots. I also have 0 issues if we lose Lee given the term on this contract which scares me(although I am guessing Lou Lamerillo will do everything to make sure he isn't picked)

Another option may be offer Seattle Varlamov in a trade to take a much lesser player then sign a backup goalie in the off season to save some cap space.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad