Young Stars Tournament 2016

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What? Why would they do that?

If he's not ready for something better then the USHL by D+2 he's not going to be anything ever.

USHL isn't a league you want your guys to hang around in, ideally post draft your moving onto NCAA or CHL.

Not sure what the options are for Berdin since CHL is no longer allowed. He'd either need to get picked up by an NCAA program (if eligible) or yah, play in the echl/AHL

But indont think keeping a guy inthe USHL past D+1 is a recipe for success.

Which brings us back around to my earlier question. I'm thinking that at 19, with only 1 year in NA, the ECHL might make for a smoother transition. What are the contract options at that point? AHL/ECHL contract? Or is it ELC or nothing?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Which brings us back around to my earlier question. I'm thinking that at 19, with only 1 year in NA, the ECHL might make for a smoother transition. What are the contract options at that point? AHL/ECHL contract? Or is it ELC or nothing?

I think it would have to be an ELC, but it would slide.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it would have to be an ELC, but it would slide.

That's my first guess too but wondered if there is an option that doesn't require committing to an ELC. Mind you, the commitment isn't much since he never needs to be paid the NHL salary unless he earns it. Just a thought.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
That's my first guess too but wondered if there is an option that doesn't require committing to an ELC. Mind you, the commitment isn't much since he never needs to be paid the salary unless he earns it. Just a thought.

Signing players to ELCs usually seems pretty low risk to me. The only thing you really have to worry about is the contract limit, but we've never gone up against it before, so I don't think it's much of a concern.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

There's nothing preventing it from happening but I think it's unlikely. If the Jets want him in the ECHL at some point why not just sign him to an ELC and assign him to Tulsa? That makes way more sense.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's my first guess too but wondered if there is an option that doesn't require committing to an ELC. Mind you, the commitment isn't much since he never needs to be paid the NHL salary unless he earns it. Just a thought.

I don't believ there are any restrictions on him per se. It's no different than Burmi playing in Russia once his contract was up. I think there is an unwritten rule that AHL affiliates keep theirr hands off other teams draft picks though so it's not like he'll end up playing for Heshey or something.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't believ there are any restrictions on him per se. It's no different than Burmi playing in Russia once his contract was up. I think there is an unwritten rule that AHL affiliates keep theirr hands off other teams draft picks though so it's not like he'll end up playing for Heshey or something.

The thing is that he is a bit of an unknown quantity. 1 season in the USHL won't necessarily remove the uncertainty. An ELC is a 3 year contract and counts against the 50 contract limit. Not a big deal though. $60k x 3 + a SB. We've never come up against the contract limit before but as the system fills up it might become more significant. It might be nice to have 1 year in the ECHL added to his resume before deciding to sign him. Or not. Maybe the Jets will be satisfied sooner with what they have in him. 6th round picks don't usually get ELCs for 2-3 years after the draft - if at all.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I believe our AHL club could sign him to a deal but that's pretty rare. Given that the contract will slide no matter what I would assume an ELC is standard but who knows.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What? Why would they do that?

If he's not ready for something better then the USHL by D+2 he's not going to be anything ever.

USHL isn't a league you want your guys to hang around in, ideally post draft your moving onto NCAA or CHL.

Not sure what the options are for Berdin since CHL is no longer allowed. He'd either need to get picked up by an NCAA program (if eligible) or yah, play in the echl/AHL

But indont think keeping a guy inthe USHL past D+1 is a recipe for success.

I just can't see him signing to play in the ECHL. How many goalies sign on to play full seasons there? A couple games maybe. A few post-injury warm-up games possibly. But a full season? Though you never know maybe the plan is to get exposure in the USHL to get an NCAA offer. I'd be willing to bet money that he doesn't sign to play in the ECHL.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Management didn't seem too concerned about Franklin or Poolman playing in USHL for their D+2 years.

Different situation sure but I don't think it would be crazy or necessarily bad for it to happen.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Jets release roster

Rubins
Waked
Matt Murphy

Invites

No Morrissey no Petan

image.jpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets release roster

Rubins
Waked
Matt Murphy

Invites

No Morrissey no Petan

image.jpg

Looks like Garret was pretty close.

I guess the Jets see no benefit for Morrissey, Petan and Comrie at this event. In Petan's and Morrissey's case the org may want them to focus on making the team.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Matt Murphy intrigues me. .75 PPG in his overage season. Wonder if he'll get an AHL contract or an ATO out of it. Also, Rubins is an invite, but the Jets can't sign him because he's still draft eligible and didn't spend the year in NA, right?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Looks like Garret was pretty close.

I guess the Jets see no benefit for Morrissey, Petan and Comrie at this event. In Petan's and Morrissey's case the org may want them to focus on making the team.

Also may want to see others like Roslovic Stanley & Green have a larger role

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Interesting to see whether Roslovic will play center. I'm assuming DeLeo-Roslovic-Harkins-Stallard down the middle and Spacek on wing.

Hope the defense can make some plays. Last year's blueline was brutal, and it had Morrissey.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I just can't see him signing to play in the ECHL. How many goalies sign on to play full seasons there? A couple games maybe. A few post-injury warm-up games possibly. But a full season? Though you never know maybe the plan is to get exposure in the USHL to get an NCAA offer. I'd be willing to bet money that he doesn't sign to play in the ECHL.

Many, many goalies do.

He might sign to play bin the AHL, but get sent to the echl.

That's how being a goalie works.

Not sure if he's even eligible to go to the NCAA depending what mhl "contracts" are.

You think a double overage goalie is going to get an NCAA invite for rocking the USHL? That's got to be far more rare then ECHL goalies.

Why would he want to play against high school kids and not get paid at the HOPE of getting an invite to university 2 years late?

Don't see how that makes more sense then signing a deal with a pro team, getting paid, and duking it out in the minors.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

Many, many goalies do.

He might sign to play bin the AHL, but get sent to the echl.

That's how being a goalie works.

Not sure if he's even eligible to go to the NCAA depending what mhl "contracts" are.

You think a double overage goalie is going to get an NCAA invite for rocking the USHL? That's got to be far more rare then ECHL goalies.

Why would he want to play against high school kids and not get paid at the HOPE of getting an invite to university 2 years late?

Don't see how that makes more sense then signing a deal with a pro team, getting paid, and duking it out in the minors.

It's just rare you see any young goalie starting for an ECHL team. I'm hard pressed to find any examples.
If he signs he'll sign to be no less than an AHL backup. If I was in the same position I'd never sign to play in the ECHL. Just how it is.
Hutch is about the only one I can think of but guaranteed he didn't sign with Boston to go play in Reading. He just didn't make the cut in the AHL his first go around.
It's extremely rare for an U20 goalie to sign a pro contract to play on some nowhere podunk ECHL team. They'll want a shot at the AHL or no dice.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Matt Murphy intrigues me. .75 PPG in his overage season. Wonder if he'll get an AHL contract or an ATO out of it. Also, Rubins is an invite, but the Jets can't sign him because he's still draft eligible and didn't spend the year in NA, right?

Rubins will go back in the draft. Ineligible to be signed as UFA.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
It's just rare you see any young goalie starting for an ECHL team. I'm hard pressed to find any examples.
If he signs he'll sign to be no less than an AHL backup. If I was in the same position I'd never sign to play in the ECHL. Just how it is.
Hutch is about the only one I can think of but guaranteed he didn't sign with Boston to go play in Reading. He just didn't make the cut in the AHL his first go around.
It's extremely rare for an U20 goalie to sign a pro contract to play on some nowhere podunk ECHL team. They'll want a shot at the AHL or no dice.

I was looking for an ECHL goalie leaderboard able to be sorted by age, but I couldn't find one. Vitek Vanecek 2nd round pick in 2014 started 32 games in the ECHL as a 19 year old last year.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I just realized in my head I was thinking the USHL was the NAHL.... So that was definitely colouring my view, lol.

Either way, I'd hope if he's going to get an NCAA opportunity it comes after this season, not two more

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just realized in my head I was thinking the USHL was the NAHL.... So that was definitely colouring my view, lol.

Either way, I'd hope if he's going to get an NCAA opportunity it comes after this season, not two more

Can he even go the NCAA route after attending the young stars tournament? Doesn't it count as a pro tryout?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad