Young Stars Tournament 2016

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nice! Having Berdin in NA means he likely signs if he plays well. Be interesting to get a read on him during the tournament.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nice! Having Berdin in NA means he likely signs if he plays well. Be interesting to get a read on him during the tournament.

Question. Assuming he plays well this year in the USHL the Jets might still not be in a rush to sign him to an ELC. Is he allowed to sign with the ECHL? That might well be the right level for him at that point. Or do they need to sign him to an ELC and then assign him to Tulsa (or Toledo or Tucson or Tacoma or wherever that team is, Taos, Tempe, Texarkana?).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Question. Assuming he plays well this year in the USHL the Jets might still not be in a rush to sign him to an ELC. Is he allowed to sign with the ECHL? That might well be the right level for him at that point. Or do they need to sign him to an ELC and then assign him to Tulsa (or Toledo or Tucson or Tacoma or wherever that team is, Taos, Tempe, Texarkana?).

I think they likely keep him down there for the next 2 years, 17 and 18 season. If he plays well enough over that time frame then we sign him and likely move on from whomever of Hutch and Pavs is left by then as we surely move on from one of them within the next two years.

We then run Helle & Comrie in the NHL. Phillips and Berdin in the A. If all goes well we have two solid tandem to run both teams and if need be we can flip one of them for a 1st in a strong draft year to a team in need.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think they likely keep him down there for the next 2 years, 17 and 18 season. If he plays well enough over that time frame then we sign him and likely move on from whomever of Hutch and Pavs is left by then as we surely move on from one of them within the next two years.

We then run Helle & Comrie in the NHL. Phillips and Berdin in the A. If all goes well we have two solid tandem to run both teams and if need be we can flip one of them for a 1st in a strong draft year to a team in need.

Unless the Jets enticed him over by promising him an ELC. His ELC would still slide for two seasons no matter what level he plays at, even if he played for the Moose. (Other than NHL of course)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Unless the Jets enticed him over by promising him an ELC. His ELC would still slide for two seasons no matter what level he plays at, even if he played for the Moose. (Other than NHL of course)

He is only 18 though. They likely keep him in Sioux Falls for the next 2 seasons I think. That way we sign him and he comes to us as a 20 year old with two years experience on NA ice. He just won't get the playing time with the depth we have. He will get time with Sioux Falls if he can win the starter job. If he doesn't win the starter job there he doesn't deserve an ELC.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He is only 18 though. They likely keep him in Sioux Falls for the next 2 seasons I think. That way we sign him and he comes to us as a 20 year old with two years experience on NA ice. He just won't get the playing time with the depth we have. He will get time with Sioux Falls if he can win the starter job. If he doesn't win the starter job there he doesn't deserve an ELC.

I don't disagree with you, but what if the Jets wanted him in NA and he would only agree to come with the promise of an ELC so he can get SB money. If he stays in Russia he might be there for 4 or 5 more years. I'm not saying it's going to play out that way, just that's the only reason they would sign him now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't disagree with you, but what if the Jets wanted him in NA and he would only agree to come with the promise of an ELC so he can get SB money. If he stays in Russia he might be there for 4 or 5 more years. I'm not saying it's going to play out that way, just that's the only reason they would sign him now.

Yeah. Hard to say. I just can't see the Jets signing an 18 year old goalie whose highest level of play is the MHL.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yeah. Hard to say. I just can't see the Jets signing an 18 year old goalie whose highest level of play is the MHL.

Uo until a few days ago he was almost certain to play in Russia. Why the change? I would also be surprised if he is signed.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Uo until a few days ago he was almost certain to play in Russia. Why the change? I would also be surprised if he is signed.

According to the report that was posted in the prospect thread, he's looking to transition to a career in North America, which isn't unheard of considering the instability of the economy in Russia. Also, he was drafted out of Europe, so that means the Jets own his rights for up to four years or so, giving them ample opportunity to gauge his transition to a North American game.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
According to the report that was posted in the prospect thread, he's looking to transition to a career in North America, which isn't unheard of considering the instability of the economy in Russia. Also, he was drafted out of Europe, so that means the Jets own his rights for up to four years or so, giving them ample opportunity to gauge his transition to a North American game.

But whay the sudden change?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Right, cause he wouldve been making money in Russia, so he had to leave for some reason. Maybe to play more?

I'm curious how much of a role the Jets played. Maybe it was as simple as here is where we prefer you to play. If the kid wants to make the NHL bad enough, maybe that's all it took.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
*shrugs* Someone said that his parent team was pretty god awful last season, so this could have been an extension of that.

Did he just realize it last week? It might be as simple as just getting his visa in order and waiting for confirmation before announcing. At least it will be easier to follow his progression. I hope he makes the Russian U20 team.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Did he just realize it last week? It might be as simple as just getting his visa in order and waiting for confirmation before announcing. At least it will be easier to follow his progression. I hope he makes the Russian U20 team.

You better get down to Fargo when he plays there to scout, no excuses aavco!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Sioux Falls baby :sarcasm:

Went there to catch a Raptors/TWolves game a few years back. 6.5 hour drive, but really nice little city. Great mall, nice restaurants, and a nice venue to watch the game.

If you are ever looking for an alternative to driving to Minny for a shopping trip, I would recommend Sioux Falls.

Best part when I went there was that i could sit right on the court and watch warmups. Got to meet the entire team and coaches, even got to toss a few passes to Chris Bosh, who was taking extra shots.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Went there to catch a Raptors/TWolves game a few years back. 6.5 hour drive, but really nice little city. Great mall, nice restaurants, and a nice venue to watch the game.

Kind of reminds me of the MTS Centre. :D

premier2.jpg

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

What? Why would they do that?

If he's not ready for something better then the USHL by D+2 he's not going to be anything ever.

USHL isn't a league you want your guys to hang around in, ideally post draft your moving onto NCAA or CHL.

Not sure what the options are for Berdin since CHL is no longer allowed. He'd either need to get picked up by an NCAA program (if eligible) or yah, play in the echl/AHL

But indont think keeping a guy inthe USHL past D+1 is a recipe for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad