Post-Game Talk: You must be trippin... Jets lose 2-1 to the Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sip, lets just take a step back and remember that you've advocated that each player is their real self when they're at their worst.

You've talked about kicking Blake Wheeler off of this team more times than people have discussed Kim Kardashian's ass.

You've also discussed how bad Burmi is at scoring ad nauseum.

I think it's time for a chill pill and a time out man. Frolik is a good player and we're better off having him AND Burmistrov instead of just one or neither.

I'm like TMZ

I waiver, I debunk

I'm not up, I'm not down

I'm still slammin Sailer Jerry's, an' I can't rap:help:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wow, the SportsNet panel actually spent a little bit of time talking about the Jets! :laugh:

Kypreos equates their recent success with them appearing to be "a tight-knit group".

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When a player isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing over a generally long period of time, people are going to get restless.

All players have swings of good and bad. Some of it is simple luck, and some of it is that these are human beings, not machines that give the exact same effort, determination and results day in and day out.

You are (ironically) right about that a larger body of work is preferred in judging individuals... not just statistically, but also with qualitative analysis.

However, I think sometimes we also skew our opinions based off of expectations. They either meet or do not meet our expectations... but in truth, sometimes these players are worth while if you change the expectations. Frolik played on our top line for much of the previous season and excelled there. He's always been a good at pushing the play forward and he scored well last season. However, more reasonably Frolik is a middle six type forward.

They did struggle this game, but Ladd-Little-Frolik have slowly been improving after a bit of a rough early start.

Either way, most opinions in general will improve for the most part on the players as they start to score more, unless we start getting scored upon even more so.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I can't believe the pandemonium on this board after a loss...we play a top team in our division/conference/league to a pretty ho hum 1-1 road game, very few breakdowns, chances, and we lose because of a bad defensive shift, by a pairing which played very well otherwise, and the roof has fallen. Player A, B or C is no good. We can't score goals. And on and on. Inferiority complex. Anybody here think one fifth of the way into the season we would be tied for 2nd in the league in team defense? Sitting 3rd in our division? I don't remember reading that from anybody here. But reality is we have found our identity as a rough and tumble defensive team. We give up far fewer quality scoring chances from last year. Greg Millen was spot on this week when he said taking Buff off the blueline is a big reason why, as our defense plays a tight game now, and as a unit we are good in winning battles, and being well positioned, structured. But this loss is probably more a sign of some road fatigue setting in more than anything. Are there some things we can improve on? Damn straight. Being 2nd from the Buffalo Mc Davids in scoring is a lot of pressure on the goalies to be near perfect every night. Our PP is disjointed. Chevy may need to use Burmi as a trade piece to give us more scoring depth, because 0 goals from Perrault, 1 pt from Lowry, and a big goose egg out of our 4th line is constraining.. But I am not going to hang my hat on this loss, which should have been at least a one pointer. I also expect the players to have a little more in the tank, and a little more edge against a more hated rival in the Wild. Let's make Sunday's game a win, so the sky don't fall in.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Where were you when the narrative was that the team had no confidence in Pavs, and thus, played poorly?

The reverse is mostly true as well, but slightly different. If you have a goalie that gives up big rebounds all the time you must collapse more therefore changing the system. Which can have a negative effect. Also changes things when you are playing from behind. In general though it is true that you simply cannot worry about other players. You have to play your game.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Hope Hutch plays tomorrow I think he is more positionally sound than Pavelec.

Have to keep patient with the goal scoring, it sucks but you can't really make drastic changes after 20 games. After 40 games I am worried.

Next year who do you think we can expect in the lineup? Burmistrov, Petan, Ehlers, Morrisey? Do you think they all make it? If so Chevy could make some moves at the end of this season if we are a bubble team and finish outside.

Masta Class

Oct 30, 2014
the ville
preds fan coming in peace.. blah blah blah..

I will be watching and rooting for you guys against Minny tomorrow, hopefully you destroy them.. But anyways I was wondering if hutch is starting (i would assume) or please don't tell me pavs is gonna get both b2b starts. Watched most of the game where Hutch posted the shutout against Chicago a couple weeks ago, he looked very solid and very calm and his positioning looked a billion times better than pavelec's.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Quite likely Hutch will start. Pavs played in NYC and Hutch played in Chicago. Both are much deadlier teams than the Wild. It stands to reason that Hutch gets the nod, especially after his performance in Carolina.

Edit: That said, the game was a matter of bounces, and the Preds had several thag went their way. Puck luck happens. I wish I could say it was a good game to watch, but I found myself switching to the Leafs game every so often, if only to laugh at them. Why do our two clubs play such boring hockey when they play each other? :/

Masta Class

Oct 30, 2014
the ville
Quite likely Hutch will start. Pavs played in NYC and Hutch played in Chicago. Both are much deadlier teams than the Wild. It stands to reason that Hutch gets the nod, especially after his performance in Carolina.

Edit: That said, the game was a matter of bounces, and the Preds had several thag went their way. Puck luck happens. I wish I could say it was a good game to watch, but I found myself switching to the Leafs game every so often, if only to laugh at them. Why do our two clubs play such boring hockey when they play each other? :/
I don't know.. :(

the games we played against St. Louis, Dallas, and Chicago (the only other central teams we've played thus far under Lavy) have been the polar opposite.. very up-tempo and exciting games, pretty fun to watch. All 3 games against Winnipeg have been pretty slow, both teams clogging the neutral zone, and no real pace to any of the games. Seems like neither team can apply sustained pressure, and most of the play happens along the boards and it's just battles for the loose puck in each other's end lol. Then add in about 1,000 icings, 2,500 dump in's, and maybe 3 goals in total if you're lucky.. and you have a preds vs. jets game, oh yeah!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Pavs is slowly losing confidence in his team and I fear that if the losses start to pile up, his play is going to start deteriorating as well.

i love it when people create narratives that only exist in schoolyards and movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad