Confirmed with Link: You guys wanted it - Chance to play VS Bobby Ryan in BobbyVSBeerleaguers

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can't believe you guys are still talking about this. ..who cares if Jbeck5 thinks he and his posse are faster than Ryan?

Seriously it doesn't matter at all.

I want to be picked so I can say I was on the ice with a current NHL player and see how bad I really am.

I never said me nor my posse are faster. Keep up with the conversation. I said i've been on the ice with players who are faster and who weren't in the NHL. That was in response to comments saying there's no way an HF poster could be faster. I said it's possible because i know people who are faster and they talk hockey on the internet. Don't know if its HF though...

Seriously. Take the time to read before you twist stuff around.

Me talking about my "posse" being good was in comparison to the beer leaguer doing the shot accuracy with zero technique in his shot.

So since you're having trouble.

1) My beer league is better than the beer leaguers in those videos.
2)i've been on the ice with guys who are faster than ryan imo. I do not regularly play with guys who are faster than ryan.
3)i am not one of those fast players. Never claimed to be.

I wonder how many more times i will have to correct people who don't take the time to read thoroughly.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I never said me nor my posse are faster. Keep up with the conversation. I said i've been on the ice with players who are faster and who weren't in the NHL. That was in response to comments saying there's no way an HF poster could be faster. I said it's possible because i know people who are faster and they talk hockey on the internet. Don't know if its HF though...

Seriously. Take the time to read before you twist stuff around.

Me talking about my "posse" being good was in comparison to the beer leaguer doing the shot accuracy with zero technique in his shot.

So since you're having trouble.

1) My beer league is better than the beer leaguers in those videos.
2)i've been on the ice with guys who are faster than ryan imo. I do not regularly play with guys who are faster than ryan.
3)i am not one of those fast players. Never claimed to be.

I wonder how many more times i will have to correct people who don't take the time to read thoroughly.

Hey look everyone, Jbeck thinks he's faster than Ryan!!!

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
noone is faster than Ryan, sens players are even scared of his speed and said no to help in the videos!!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I never said me nor my posse are faster. Keep up with the conversation.

What's funny is I was on your side but thanks for jumping down my throat.

Carry on...it is the off season so whatever floats your boat

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think the key issue here is that the benchmark for "Bobby's speed" is his speed in an NHL game situation.

To use a comparison, sometimes Bobby will miss the net with a shot. In an NHL game. But you stick him in front of a net with four pucks and four targets and he will hit them all. So Ryan may seem "slow" in an NHL game when he running around and doing another dozen things and just gassed, but you put him in a foot race (with his pride on the line no less) and he will be a lot faster than you think. Could a non-NHLer beat him? Well sure, of course, but there's a great level of underestimation going on here.

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
As a beer league player (my league is in New York, with ex D3,junior college, and high school players..whatever level that would constitute)who has played with some guys who played in the ECHL,AHL, what a lot of people don't realize are these things:

1. Many beer leaguers can skate, skating I would say is one of the more common skills most beer league guys are at least decent at. You put them out there for 45 seconds for one shift, and most of them will be able to move quite well as far as straight line speed is concerned. I think this sometimes causes guys to think they're better than what they really are compared to an elite hockey player.

2. What really separates the beer league guys from the pros is the mobility, acceleration, and core strength. You maybe even able to keep up with them stride for stride, however, the pro is going to be a million times stronger and more stable at those speeds compared to the beer league guy. He can also start,stop,start again, and skate a circle around you quicker than you could ever imagine. All with power and stability due to the elite core strength he has. There is basically no way you're going to knock the pro off the puck.

3. There is a huge gap in cardio. You might start out skating fast, and keeping up with the pros at first..but after 3-4 shifts your legs will be burning and you won't be able to keep up. The pros can keep that pace for seemingly forever. A beer league guy may have the skill to skate that well, but unless he has kept in elite shape he'll be puking within 15-20 minutes.

4. Pros usually have ridiculous hands and shots. They know how to play their angles on the boards. They can process decisions so much quicker. They see things develop before you do. I play defense and I had a guy in AHL basically stick handle off the inside part of my left skate blade and then when I adjusted he bounced it off my other skate through my legs. A beer league guy might have a great shot, or great hands but he won't be able to process plays quick enough to see all the options he has compared to a pro. A beer league guy might have 2-3 tricks and see 2-3 options. A pro is going to have 5-6 tricks, see 7 options, and all in a split second.

Just some things based on my experience of playing. I love what Bobby is doing, it's really fun to watch.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
As a beer league player (my league is in New York, with ex D3,junior college, and high school players..whatever level that would constitute)who has played with some guys who played in the ECHL,AHL, what a lot of people don't realize are these things:

1. Many beer leaguers can skate, skating I would say is one of the more common skills most beer league guys are at least decent at. You put them out there for 45 seconds for one shift, and most of them will be able to move quite well as far as straight line speed is concerned. I think this sometimes causes guys to think they're better than what they really are compared to an elite hockey player.

2. What really separates the beer league guys from the pros is the mobility, acceleration, and core strength. You maybe even able to keep up with them stride for stride, however, the pro is going to be a million times stronger and more stable at those speeds compared to the beer league guy. He can also start,stop,start again, and skate a circle around you quicker than you could ever imagine. All with power and stability due to the elite core strength he has. There is basically no way you're going to knock the pro off the puck.

3. There is a huge gap in cardio. You might start out skating fast, and keeping up with the pros at first..but after 3-4 shifts your legs will be burning and you won't be able to keep up. The pros can keep that pace for seemingly forever. A beer league guy may have the skill to skate that well, but unless he has kept in elite shape he'll be puking within 15-20 minutes.

4. Pros usually have ridiculous hands and shots. They know how to play their angles on the boards. They can process decisions so much quicker. They see things develop before you do. I play defense and I had a guy in AHL basically stick handle off the inside part of my left skate blade and then when I adjusted he bounced it off my other skate through my legs. A beer league guy might have a great shot, or great hands but he won't be able to process plays quick enough to see all the options he has compared to a pro. A beer league guy might have 2-3 tricks and see 2-3 options. A pro is going to have 5-6 tricks, see 7 options, and all in a split second.

Just some things based on my experience of playing. I love what Bobby is doing, it's really fun to watch.
Exactly, which is why they don't have to be the fastest skaters on the ice with beerleaguers. I doubt they're trying their hardest; everything is happening in slow-motion for them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Bah, you Americans know nothing of hockey! Get out of here with your fun! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00