Confirmed with Link: You guys wanted it - Chance to play VS Bobby Ryan in BobbyVSBeerleaguers

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
There's a difference between being better,and being better at 1 specific skill though.

Like I said in the previous thread. I've been on the ice with Neil and konopka. Guess what? They were the best players on the ice no questions asked. By a pretty big margin too. But they weren't the fastest skaters on the ice. There was a couple faster guys.

Like others have said, there's some guys with natural wheels who aren't very good at all other things other than skating.

Yeah but I doubt they had to be. They're so much smarter than everyone else on the ice, for obvious reasons. And surely the effort you saw would be different than that in an NHL game.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There's a difference between being better,and being better at 1 specific skill though.

Like I said in the previous thread. I've been on the ice with Neil and konopka. Guess what? They were the best players on the ice no questions asked. By a pretty big margin too. But they weren't the fastest skaters on the ice. There was a couple faster guys.

Like others have said, there's some guys with natural wheels who aren't very good at all other things other than skating.

I wouldn't consider someone being faster meaning they are better skaters. I seriously doubt anyone here is better at any skill in hockey than Bobby Ryan. Unless you consider skating fast being the skill instead of being a good skater, sure. I doubt anyone here can win in a lap, though I'm sure some could challenge/beat him end to end.

I highly doubt either guy were skating as hard as thy could in, what I presume, was a summer/rec skate.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I wonder at what point you stop caring...you know, when the guys around you in a pickup game or rec league are giving it everything they've got and you're playing at 70%, they beat you a loose puck and you just smile and say good job.

Also, I hope to see hockey drills and this isn't a "hey I can skate between the blue lines faster than you" kinda thing. I doubt it will be but I don't want to watch that. Give me a body check, some sick mitts while skating and I'm interested.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think theres maybe a guy or two in every beer league that can outskate Ryan.

No. No there is not. Unless those are young guys who played Junior A or major junior recently and kept in amazing shape.

I remember hearing about Brian McGratton playing in some men's leagues here in the offseason and he would just straight up skate circles around everyone. It was a pretty damn competitive league too from what I was told.

Zibanejad will occasionally play on my cousin's soccer team who are fairly high tier in West Ottawa. Most of the guys have been playing their entire lives and as many played CIS. He just walks on and scores 5 goals.

These are elite athletes. Ever seen the show Pros vs Joes? There isn't a hope in hell that some Joe is going to beat a pro in his prime in his sport.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The more I think about it, the more I really want the most obnoxious HF Boards poster who thinks he's got the most amazing wheels and sickest dangles to get into one of these videos.

Because he'll get smoked and we can all laugh. Hopefully the poster included.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
One of my buddies could likely outskate Bobby. Obviously he would get destroyed in all other aspects of the game, however.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Lol, some of my friends are phenomenal skaters that are better than Ryan in that area of the game. Bobby would blow them out of the water in everything else though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lol, some of my friends are phenomenal skaters that are better than Ryan in that area of the game. Bobby would blow them out of the water in everything else though.

I pretty much assure you they are not, unless they are high level Junior players. And even then it's not likely. I think I play with/against MAYBE 1 guy who could challenge Bobby, and he is fresh back from playing Pro himself.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I pretty much assure you they are not, unless they are high level Junior players. And even then it's not likely. I think I play with/against MAYBE 1 guy who could challenge Bobby, and he is fresh back from playing Pro himself.
I pretty much assure you they are.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder at what point you stop caring...you know, when the guys around you in a pickup game or rec league are giving it everything they've got and you're playing at 70%, they beat you a loose puck and you just smile and say good job.

Also, I hope to see hockey drills and this isn't a "hey I can skate between the blue lines faster than you" kinda thing. I doubt it will be but I don't want to watch that. Give me a body check, some sick mitts while skating and I'm interested.

I think it's more a case of the pros loving the idea of just being out there on the ice and having fun. Being able to relax and just play without 20k fans screaming every time you make a mistake or don't play something perfect. Going back to being a kid on the outdoor rink with buddies. Not being in a competition or having to win...just having fun.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
It's hilarious that there's people on here that truly believe they're better than an above average NHLer.

This is gonna be good.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
list the people who think they're better skaters than him?

Again, how is skating in a straight line for a short burst a hockey drill? Add turns, a bit of cardio, a puck and now I'm interested. If you want to see a foot race have your buddies skate down an Olympic speed skater and see how they do.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
list the people who think they're better skaters than him?

This argument is going in circles.

A couple jocks wanting to relive their glory days think they can beat Bobby in a straight line foot race. Consensus is that Bobby is better at literally everything else.

Yes?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If I get picked, I'm going to say during the drill that my name is the username of one of the guys who keeps bragging on here. Then everyone will be like, "He sucks!"

"Hi Bobby! I'm jbeck5 from HFBOARDS! Prepare to get schooled!"

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Again, how is skating in a straight line for a short burst a hockey drill? Add turns, a bit of cardio, a puck and now I'm interested. If you want to see a foot race have your buddies skate down an Olympic speed skater and see how they do.

What?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This argument is going in circles.

A couple jocks wanting to relive their glory days think they can beat Bobby in a straight line foot race. Consensus is that Bobby is better at literally everything else.

Yes?

Why are you repeating what im saying?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If I get picked, I'm going to say during the drill that my name is the username of one of the guys who keeps bragging on here. Then everyone will be like, "He sucks!"

"Hi Bobby! I'm jbeck5 from HFBOARDS! Prepare to get schooled!"

When did I compare myself to Bobby or brag about my hockey skills? Lol what in the f.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
When did I compare myself to Bobby or brag about my hockey skills? Lol what in the f.

You consistently and adamantly reiterated how good you and your beer league team was at hockey, so I can see the connection the poster is making :laugh:

pretty self explanatory IMO, given your quote below..

Why are you repeating what im saying?

If I'm repeating simply what you're saying, you should be able to understand the point FlapJackKing is trying to make. A speed burst isn't hockey; but add in some things related to hockey (skating WITH a puck, for instance), and everyone here and on your team would get schooled.

Going-Round-In-Circles.jpg

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You consistently and adamantly reiterated how good you and your beer league team was at hockey, so I can see the connection the poster is making :laugh:

Pay attention. That was in response to someone claiming that guy in the accuracy shooting was your average beer leaguer. He clearly isn't. He looked like someone who's never played organized hockey.

Stop putting words in people's mouths.

Things I've said:

1) I've been on the ice with a couple players who are faster than Ryan.
2) my beer league is a lot better than the beer leaguers in those videos...especially the accuracy shooter.
3) the fact a person is in the NHL does not mean they are better at every single hockey skill than someone who is not in the NHL.

Argue against what I'm actually saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2