Post-Game Talk: You can't fire me, I quit. Pens - 1, It's a Tarp - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

We should change the name of these threads to "Knee-jerk Reactions"

12...12 guys out of the lineup. Take 12 guys out of all 29 other team's lineups and watch them struggle too.

And for everyone who likes to say, "trade for a winger!11!" who is available? I mean real possibilities not trade form fodder. Kane? He is injured and Winnipeg is in a playoff race.

This team is in a slump, take a step back from the ledge and relax. It's the end of December, these slumps happen, especially with the amount of injuries we have.

Johnston is a good coach, he's proven that all season. He is experimenting, just like he said he would. Every decision he makes isn't going to strike gold.

-Perron
-Eberle
-ROR
-Stafford
-Hall
-Oshie
-Vermette (though he's better at center)

All of those guys have been rumored to be available and/or shopped recently. There are trade options out there.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Of course the team's going to falter, but having half the roster out has served to show just how inept just some of the players on the team are (Scuds... Spaling... :help:)

I get that, but spaling is playing a role above his capabilities. He was brought in to be a 3-4 liner who will kill penalties and chip in the odd goal here and there. Not to play with Sid, and with that, be expected to produce 1st line numbers.

I don't Scuderi is as bad as advertised around here. He sucked at the start of the year but has turned his game around. And Scuds is not the main reason we are losing right now.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Fair enough. I also like Rust more than Klink, though. I'd rather keep him over Klink, but whatever. It's really not important.

Count how many Devils were missing tonight. Injuries could have been an excuse on Saturday night, especially after losing Hornqvist, but not tonight. We were not playing a good team littered with injuries/illness. We were playing a BAD team littered with injuries/illness.

No excuse tonight. And judging by reactions from both Johnston and Guerin, the team knows this as well.
1) Rust is terrible in the TOP6 and so would be Klinkhammer. Both would be more tolerable in the BOTTOM6, but we better add some depth come playoff time, because they are just not good NHLers.

2) The Devils were missing mostly crappy players. It´s not a full excuse, but we were definitely hurt more than them coming to this game.

3) Johnston should be angry on himself, firstly. I am curious what they think about the current powerplay, though.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
some adversity in late december isn't the worst thing for this team. show where the holes are, where things need improvement, and how players and coaches respond.

i do hope that some trade is done soon-ish... imo it takes time to build chemistry between teammates (especially with someone as finicky as Crosby). unfortunately i think there are some cap manipulation reasons for trading players closer to the deadline... so jr may continue to hold off on making a move.

in regards to jagr, i find it tough to assess players when they play the pens. some players just raise their game when they go up against crosby/malkin. for example, evander kane was ridiculously good when they played the jets... but if you look at the rest of his season he has been pretty ordinary (when not injured/suspended).

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The thing that's been inspiring about these recent losses is the team fights all the way to the end. In the past, the team would've unraveled and just gone full stupid. When facing that adversity so far this season, they're handling it like adults and fighting back instead of acting like whiny girls. That's been a welcomed change.

Losing sucks, and I'm tired of it too, but it's December for crying out loud. Much rather get the injuries, mumps, laziness, suckiness out now rather than in April, right?

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
-Perron
-Eberle
-ROR
-Stafford
-Hall
-Oshie
-Vermette (though he's better at center)

All of those guys have been rumored to be available and/or shopped recently. There are trade options out there.

Sources say Oilers want a center, not D, so we have no bargaining chip with them. Stafford wouldn't be bad, I can't see Oshie being dealt honestly, and I have no opinion on Vermette as I don't see him play often since he is in the desert.

ROR is a recent rumor, so I would wait to see if that rumor has more traction.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I get that, but spaling is playing a role above his capabilities. He was brought in to be a 3-4 liner who will kill penalties and chip in the odd goal here and there. Not to play with Sid, and with that, be expected to produce 1st line numbers.

I don't Scuderi is as bad as advertised around here. He sucked at the start of the year but has turned his game around. And Scuds is not the main reason we are losing right now.

Even when Bennett was healthy, Spaling was with Crosby and Hornqvist. So until he proves otherwise, maybe Johnston DOES see Spaling as a top-six winger on this team.

The only guy who was missing at that time was Dupuis, who's not a top-six winger either.

This coach has wanted one of Dupuis, Spaling or Sutter in our top six since Day 1.

penguins2946*

Sources say Oilers want a center, not D, so we have no bargaining chip with them. Stafford wouldn't be bad, I can't see Oshie being dealt honestly, and I have no opinion on Vermette as I don't see him play often since he is in the desert.

ROR is a recent rumor, so I would wait to see if that rumor has more traction.

Seriously? We have Sutter that we can easily trade for them. The Pens would have to be sniffing paint to say no to including Sutter for any of Hall, Perron or Eberle. ROR isn't a recent rumor either.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Would anyone be opposed to trying to acquire Jagr, by the way? Sure he's not the long term solution, but he'd probably instantly be our second best winger and could really provide a spark to the power play. I can't imagine he'd cost an arm and a leg at this stage.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
1) Rust is terrible in the TOP6 and so would be Klinkhammer. Both would be more tolerable in the BOTTOM6, but we better add some depth come playoff time, because they are just not good NHLers.

I think it's way too early to give up on Rust, personally. He shouldn't be playing with Crosby, but on the fourth line? He has a place.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Even when Bennett was healthy, Spaling was with Crosby and Hornqvist. So until he proves otherwise, maybe Johnston DOES see Spaling as a top-six winger on this team.

The only guy who was missing at that time was Dupuis, who's not a top-six winger either.

This coach has wanted one of Dupuis, Spaling or Sutter in our top six since Day 1.

I agree Dupuis, isn't a top 6 winger either, but he was plaing well before the blood clot.

and Bennett should be played in the top six eventually, but MJ really likes the Downie Sutter Beau line, and they were clicking for a decent time, before Beau went down

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Edmonton just acquired a second line C, so I doubt they're still looking for that in the short term. The guy they acquired is undersized and **** (should fit right in with Yakupov), but he is technically a 2C.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Fair enough. I also like Rust more than Klink, though. I'd rather keep him over Klink, but whatever. It's really not important.

I like Rust too but I still think he needs some more AHL seasoning. It's a lot to ask of him to fill top six minutes playing against top matchups being this is his first year playing pro. Hopefully he doesn't get discouraged and learns from it to be a better player. One last thing on Klink, I'm not entirely happy with him either I only said maybe he needs to adjust playing here (like Neal his first year). Klink needs to play a physical game imo and he's not doing it enough

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think it way too early to give up on Rust, personally. He shouldn't be playing with Crosby, but on the fourth line? He has a place.
Let´s try him there and let´s see what he can bring to the fourth line. He has no business being higher than on the 4th line, though and even that´s a stretch. He is handling a puck like a hot potato and can´t hit a ****ing net if his life depended on it, that much we´ve learned so far.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
It´s not just one game, though. He keeps playing Malkin on Sutter´s wing and Crosby with Rust for 4 consecutive games. The things are going downhill really fast and he still keeps those lines like that. When we are losing by 2+ goals late in the games, he suddenly puts Crosby & Malkin together but it´s too ****ing late and they are already washed up after carrying their awful lines all game long.

MJ is better than Bylsma, but at least Bylsma knew how to play with limited lineups. MJ has no ****ing clue right now. He´s doing an awful job lately.

Also, how can you explain putting Scuderi out there as an extra man? That´s literally unexplainable..

Am I the only one who actually likes that? Bylsma never will be known for his excellent player usage, but he got everything he wanted from Grinder McGrittyson, and covered lots of flaws to the public due to that.

Johnston's player usage with a healthy was very much preferable, even considering how he used guys like Adams and Scuderi. He sheltered them the **** away from real competition - something that Bylsma never has done.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Seriously? We have Sutter that we can easily trade for them. The Pens would have to be sniffing paint to say no to including Sutter for any of Hall, Perron or Eberle. ROR isn't a recent rumor either.

If Eberle is coming our way it's going to take more than just Sutter, and who's to say another team couldn't offer a better Center?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Edmonton just acquired a second line C, so I doubt they're still looking for that in the short term. The guy they acquired is undersized and **** (should fit right in with Yakupov), but he is technically a 2C.

I highly doubt Roy's arrival changes anything with regards to Edmonton's potential interest in Brandon Sutter.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think Nashville has great center depth, so Roy not sticking there is probably very telling. Haven't noticed him in the Nashville games I watched.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I don't think there is much debate here. At least Malkin played center with Dupuis.

When we line Malkin up on left wing, we're literally helping the other team win the game.

Agreed, unless Geno is with Crosby. He was at RW today in the morning skate with Sid and Kunitz. That should be the top line until Horny gets back/trades are made.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You guys are overestimating Edmonton's ability to make decisions, evaluate talent and diagnose their own problems. That dope Lowe probably brought out the good champagne when he heard MacTavish say he could bring in Derek Roy.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Am I the only one who actually likes that? Bylsma never will be known for his excellent player usage, but he got everything he wanted from Grinder McGrittyson, and covered lots of flaws to the public due to that.

Johnston's player usage with a healthy was very much preferable, even considering how he used guys like Adams and Scuderi. He sheltered them the **** away from real competition - something that Bylsma never has done.
Yeah, handling the healthy lineups is more important for us, I agree there. But it´s still not an excuse for MJ´s poor job lately.. I mean, those pts matter. We are not gonna win this division with decisions like that, which can be costly for us (I don´t want to face the Rangers in R1). And few more losses like that and we will have to pay attention to the whole playoffs picture. Added to that, Sid & Geno are dying alive and MJ does nothing to help them. That´s also awful. I´m frustrated by him right now, I really am.

penguins2946*

If Eberle is coming our way it's going to take more than just Sutter, and who's to say another team couldn't offer a better Center?

The discussion was "which players could be available?". You finding reasons on why another team could outbid us for those players is completely irrelevant to the fact that they're available. You seem to be ignoring that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad