Post-Game Talk: You can't fire me, I quit. Pens - 1, It's a Tarp - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It´s not just one game, though. He keeps playing Malkin on Sutter´s wing and Crosby with Rust for 4 consecutive games. The things are going downhill really fast and he still keeps those lines like that. When we are losing by 2+ goals late in the games, he suddenly puts Crosby & Malkin together but it´s too ****ing late and they are already washed up after carrying their awful lines all game long.

MJ is better than Bylsma, but at least Bylsma knew how to play with limited lineups. MJ has no ****ing clue right now. He´s doing an awful job lately.

Also, how can you explain putting Scuderi out there as an extra man? That´s literally unexplainable..

Well said. :clap:

MJ gets a solid F-minus for today's coaching performance.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, handling the healthy lineups is more important for us, I agree there. But it´s still not an excuse for MJ´s poor job lately.. I mean, those pts matter. We are not gonna win this division with decisions like that, which can be costly for us (I don´t want to face the Rangers in R1). And few more losses like that and we will have to pay attention to the whole playoffs picture. Added to that, Sid & Geno are dying alive and MJ does nothing to help them. That´s also awful. I´m frustrated by him right now, I really am.

"Frustrated" is probably the best way to describe the team and the fanbase at the moment, and weird decisions when it comes to the lineup definitely are even harder to swallow.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You guys are overestimating Edmonton's ability to make decisions, evaluate talent and diagnose their own problems. That dope Lowe probably brought out the good champagne when he heard MacTavish say he could bring in Derek Roy.

Well, when you look like it that way...

I look forward to them trading for Dany Heatley tomorrow.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yeah, handling the healthy lineups is more important for us, I agree there. But it´s still not an excuse for MJ´s poor job lately.. I mean, those pts matter. We are not gonna win this division with decisions like that, which can be costly for us (I don´t want to face the Rangers in R1). And few more losses like that and we will have to pay attention to the whole playoffs picture. Added to that, Sid & Geno are dying alive and MJ does nothing to help them. That´s also awful. I´m frustrated by him right now, I really am.

Maybe MJ's hand is being forced too.. because of Scuds contract he's pretty much forced to play him by management (unfortunately). As someone else mention earlier in Dumo is with Letang there is no logic to that other than the Pens trying to showcase him in a trade.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maybe MJ's hand is being forced too.. because of Scuds contract he's pretty much forced to play him by management (unfortunately). As someone else mention earlier in Dumo is with Letang there is no logic to that other than the Pens trying to showcase him in a trade.
I don´t really believe that. It´s a very slim chance and an only possibly explanation. It´s either that or our coach is being an idiot again.. Pick one of those..

That said, I believe MJ will adjust and find a way. But it´s taking him waaaay too long now. Not good.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The annual egg laying in New Jersey, but not surprising with this lineup. I don't really mind so much. Pretty much expect a loss and take the opportunity to see how some young guys do.

Three easily avoidable turnovers lead to three goals: Spaling on the first, Megna on the second, and Kunitz on the third (Kuni didn't have much help from the rest of the team on that shift). I thought Megna actually looked like he might be figuring it out until he took too long of a shift, then turned it over on the next shift, leading to Jagr's goal. With a team that can't score, all of the mistakes are magnified.

Bort and Dumo were OK, but I don't know that their upside will ever be more than 5 or 6. Both are easily expendable, but I don't think we'd get much in return. Speaking of trade returns, Klink has about one good shift per game, and the rest of the time he's just out there doing not much of anything.

And thanks to whomever posted the rule on the 17 minutes of penalties that Tootoo should have gotten. Still a garage league, but we'll always have the memory of that stretch of two or three weeks after the next-to-last lockout when they enforced the rules.

Things will get better.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
******** game. Regardless of how depleted the lineup was, the regulars who were there - outside of Despres and Sid - failed to show up.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Well, when you look like it that way...

I look forward to them trading for Dany Heatley tomorrow.

They need size and veterans. It would not surprise me in the least to see this happen.

Never mind that Heatley's maybe the worst possible guy that fits that description. The suits at Rexall can't be bothered with trifles like fit, character or, you know, that a guy's washed up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Rust, Megna and Kunitz are terrible wingers.

I don't think this is/should be a long-term indictment of Rust or Megna. Both of these guys should be playing in the AHL this season. They're in way over their heads. I think both of these guys have really good long term potential, but they need to develop and mature at the appropriate pace. You cannot expect a youngster to be thrust into a role and automatically excel.

Because Dumo is better according to a coaching staff that thinks there's nothing wrong with Sid centering Kunitz and Rust or guys of their ilk or Malkin being centered by Sutter ever or putting Scuderi on the ice when you pull the goalie.

Umm, let's get too histrionic over here. We've got 3 REALLY good Dmen prospects fighting for 2 spots of icetime. The right move is to rotate Harrington, Dumoulin, Pouliot, and possibly even Bortuzzo, while we're going through this string of injuries. Clearly Harrington is the most NHL ready of those 3, and clearly Scuderi blows, but you're delusional if you think that optics is not a part of this:

- Scuderi's trade value (whatever, if anything, there may be of it) goes down the toilet if he's scratched

- Dumoulin might be the prospect most likely to be traded. So if he's our one young Dman who is continually scratched, this hurts his trade value and the perception of how he is valued within the Pens organization

- We have a window of opportunity to get all of these young Dmen NHL experience and NHL games which will make them better players and expedite their development. If it were not for up to 4 of our top-6 Dmen out for significant amounts of time -- something which may happen once every 4 or 5 years -- a team will NEVER have the opportunity to get so many guys into the line up all at the same time. Not rotating these guys and giving them this chance would be stupid.

There's a bigger picture here. I'm really surprised people don't see at least some more of it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I don't buy that. Playing him because of his contract and standing (veteran, leader, multiple cups, free agent signing, etc.) I could see, but that doesn't explain the moronic usage. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when you're trying to score a goal at ES. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when it's 4 on 4. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when the goalie is pulled and you're trying to score a goal. It goes on, he kills offense and possession and whoever is paired with him will have to carry him but don't god damned well use him in those situations above all else.

Playing him is one thing, the biggest problem isn't playing him.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't buy that. Playing him because of his contract and standing (veteran, leader, multiple cups, free agent signing, etc.) I could see, but that doesn't explain the moronic usage. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when you're trying to score a goal at ES. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when it's 4 on 4. Do not use Rob ****ing Scuderi when the goalie is pulled and you're trying to score a goal. It goes on, he kills offense and possession and whoever is paired with him will have to carry him but don't god damned well use him in those situations above all else.

Playing him is one thing, the biggest problem isn't playing him.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm tired of Scuderi too. But perhaps MJ perhaps felt the young core needed to watch from the bench in that situation-They are learning on the ice and from the bench. Some of them like Pouliot and Dumo are not physically or mentally ready for an 82 game NHL season. Even Bortz, this is really his first year playing up.

I'm not trying to make excuses but it's easy for us to sit here and criticize w/o knowing the facts or what he's doing to help develop these guys the best way possible.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Somebody wake Rutherford up from his nap. Somebody should go check on him in his office. He's been sleeping since he got hired in June.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Somebody wake Rutherford up from his nap. Somebody should go check on him in his office. He's been sleeping since he got hired in June.

Hans Rutherford is working on it

200_s.gif

Sorry

May 18, 2005
You either play Geno and Sid together or you put them both at center.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Looks like a typical game against the Devils. I cannot watch them. Slow pace garbage hockey.

With all the injuries that have taken place; this is bound to happen.

Not surprised to see Tootoo look for revenge after Bortuzzo's hit on Jagr last game between the two teams. And, rightfully so. If you're going to take a run; you have to be able to back it up. Bortuzzo made the right decision by accepting Tootoo's challenge this time.

It sucks that the two players that are willing to do that on the Penguins are Farnham and Bortuzzo. Both are mediocre fighters that are bound to get injured in a fight.

This team needs someone that will put fear and punish the opposition. Not players that are willing to get an ass beating to get 'stick up' for their teammate. Players who get beaten decisively in a fight frequently make no impact later into the game.

Michael8771*

Glad to see Sid score like that, beyond that however not much to write home about. Four losses in a row now.

Nei1ey*

this is the worst ive seen Sutter play in the last 2 years, i have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's still getting over a sickness of some sort. He just looks so listless out there, he's dragging Geno down big time.

Michael8771*

No question that the pens GM needs to help bring some life into the team. Time to add a top six guy. Enough is enough.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
this is the worst ive seen Sutter play in the last 2 years, i have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's still getting over a sickness of some sort. He just looks so listless out there, he's dragging Geno down big time.

He had mumps. I have yet to see a player play good directly after getting it. Ryan Suter, for example, is -8 in the games he has played since returning from it.

I predict that Downie will get similar comments when he returns.

But the issue with him and Malkin would still be there if he played better - they are just a bad fit.

Michael8771*

I've given Sutter props quite a bit, but there's no way his production is acceptable at this point. Despite the team being inundated with injury he's had the chance to play with Geno. Sutter does a lot of the little things that help a team. That said he needs to produce on a far more consistent basis. I think Sutter plays better with Bennett. Hopefully they'll reunite those two and if need be play Sid with Geno UNTIL we add a top six guy. At which point Geno should go back to center and stay there.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm tired of Scuderi too. But perhaps MJ perhaps felt the young core needed to watch from the bench in that situation-They are learning on the ice and from the bench. Some of them like Pouliot and Dumo are not physically or mentally ready for an 82 game NHL season. Even Bortz, this is really his first year playing up.

I'm not trying to make excuses but it's easy for us to sit here and criticize w/o knowing the facts or what he's doing to help develop these guys the best way possible.

Pouliot doesn't need to learn anything from Scuderi about trying to score a goal in the last couple minutes.

Pouliot and Despres aren't afraid to shoot they should be teaching some of the others guys that skill.

Anyways wasn't expecting us to do much but hopefully over the next 4 weeks we get healthy and have made some trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad