GDT: Yotes @ Oilers - 7 PM - SN West

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I’m hopeful that the league will have two EC playoff games each day on the 20th and 21st, and the WC playoffs begin on the 22nd.

I'd hope as well. 6 of the 8 Western Conference play on Thursday (assuming Vegas gets the last spot), so the Western playoffs shouldn't start until Monday based on how historically teams have at least 3 days off. The only exception would be if Dallas plays Nashville they could go Sunday since Nashville is done Monday and Dallas Wednesday. Or it St Louis gets in them and Dallas will have been done on Wednesday.

For the east, the only teams that play Wednesday are Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Islanders. So if any series with those teams should hold off until Sunday, but any series not featuring those teams should be able to go. Unfortunately, there is a scenario where there isn't a series featuring none of those teams and that is currently the most likely scenario after games played last night.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don’t get all the complaining about the schedule. Sure , it’s not ideal but these are trained athletes making millions. If playing a max of 20 minutes is too much to handle they should try working in the real world.
Yet I don’t hear the players themselves complaining but some here actually want to forfeit games. Lmfao
Yeah, forfeiting is dumb, but I support the idea of dressing a bunch of callups.

The NHL isn't competent enough to do this on purpose.
And ultimately someone with the Oilers would have seen this schedule and accepted it at some point. Whoever that is is just as responsible as whoever drafted the schedule on behalf of the league.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Snagging a post of mine from the Bakersfield thread last month...

Looking at CapFriendly, I'm pretty sure I have this correct.

Going into the final weeks the Oil have $226,408 in cap space left. It costs...

1712944649094.png

... for every day that each of those guys are on the roster). The season ends on the April 18th.

There is no 23 man roster limit, just what you can fit under the cap. But teams only get 4 (regular) recalls after the TDL.

Holloway and Broberg can be recalled and sent down without issue; Plus with Vinny injured, I believe Broberg can count as an emergency recall.

Campbell, you can re-waive without fear of losing. But I imagine Lavoie would be a one-way trip up, as he would risk getting claimed. The same situation as Pickard.

The Oil close out the season with 3 games: the 15th @ SJ, the 17th vs. ARI, and the 18th vs. COL). In theory, they could recall all 4 on the 14th and would be able to fit everyone under the cap.

More or less outlines what they can do for those last 3 games.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I don’t get all the complaining about the schedule. Sure , it’s not ideal but these are trained athletes making millions. If playing a max of 20 minutes is too much to handle they should try working in the real world.
Yet I don’t hear the players themselves complaining but some here actually want to forfeit games. Lmfao

Agreed. No excuse when 3 of those 5 games left are against the Coyotes and Sharks.

People want to sit the stars but this team kinda has a reputation for looking worse after after a break. I think you keep them in game shape and just limit their minutes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The schedule is only bad because we've put ourselves in a position where there is actually something to gain.

If we had a heavier slate of games in October - early November we might be in Vegas' position at the moment. Sucks we have to finish this way, but we should all be thanking the lord we had a light schedule in October and November.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
At least thankfully 2 of them are against the Utah Tabernacle Choir, one against the pathetic Sharks and a revenge game vs the PDO Princesses. The last game vs Colorado expect McDavid and Draisailt to be sitting out and Ekholm. Picard could get the last 2 games as well even though they are back to back. Maybe Broberg comes up for that weekend and Lavoie or another one or two Condors.
Depends if edm has a chance to still win the division I guess and if the team even cares. but I don’t expect that to be the case so yeah, rest them.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I think it's more so the chance of injury goes up with that many games in a short period...I'm sure the players are very capable, it's just not ideal (and yes, anyone suggesting we forfeit is kidding themselves...do you really think the league wouldn't take away a first due to lost revenues?)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Agreed. The Coyotes are a relatively fast team with some up and coming prospects (Cooley, Doan etc). Take this game lightly and we will lose.

On that note, I am looking forward to watching Cooley. That kid is something else.
I never cheer against us, but I would be perfectly fine losing tonight. It would make first place very difficult and force us to sit there star players more, which is what we should 100% be doing

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I never cheer against us, but I would be perfectly fine losing tonight. It would make first place very difficult and force us to sit there star players more, which is what we should 100% be doing

"I'd never cheer against us, but..."

Says it all. I hope they win and stay healthy. Roll into the playoffs on a win streak again with some confidence.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think there's much of a reason to play McDavid tonight, and I'm one of those who think he should some games in before the end of the season.
The team was in a really good rhythm the other night without him and Vancouver is the bigger game anyway although the Skating Utes shouldn't be underestimated so he should be rested tonight and be rearing to go tomorrow night.

Edit: Seems like McDavid is likely not playing tonight. Good.
If it's a lingering injury though they might need to just shut him down for the rest of the regular season and heal up for the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From all the wording I figured it was a nagging injury, or injuries McD is suffering from. Latest release confirms that and that it has been ongoing.

This is not the best news. Its good he's getting the rest. If its something that has impacted him at start of season and was resustained this possibly means only an offseason will address it.

Not trying to be alarmist. McD will play, but one wonders if it will be mid or early season type McD and not the one that had been heating up the last few months.

I don't think there's much of a reason to play McDavid tonight, and I'm one of those who think he should some games in before the end of the season.
The team was in a really good rhythm the other night without him and Vancouver is the bigger game anyway although the Skating Utes shouldn't be underestimated so he should be rested tonight and be rearing to go tomorrow night.

Edit: Seems like McDavid is likely not playing tonight. Good.
If it's a lingering injury though they might need to just shut him down for the rest of the regular season and heal up for the playoffs.
Totally agree but curious what caused you to change views. A day ago you were saying you want to see him playing in these games.

whoops, I think you added to your post with explanation.

yeah, the team ought to be able to win some of these games without McD.

Not convinced either that getting first is such a big deal. Win first and the prize is likely Vegas. Do we want that instead of LA?

I know I want first so that Vancouver gets beat by LA in first round. But seeing Vancouver have to deal with Vegas could be good too. LA are faster though and better suited to beat the Nucks anyway they want to play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The schedule is only bad because we've put ourselves in a position where there is actually something to gain.

If we had a heavier slate of games in October - early November we might be in Vegas' position at the moment. Sucks we have to finish this way, but we should all be thanking the lord we had a light schedule in October and November.
But we still had the 3 of the games against Vancouver in first month which is ridiculous sheduling. We had the brutal Florida/Carolina road trip which is often a killers role.

Had we had a normal balanced season we would have only played Vancouver one game the first month while we were struggling. That we played them 3X and lost all those is why Vancouver is in first.

No divisional opponents should be playing 3X in the first month of season. That doesn't even make sense. Would be better to even have more divisional matchups late in season which makes for greater drama down the stretch.

The schedule screwed up in so many ways. We still have 5 games left and other clubs as little as two. Several teams are already frankly done seasons and just in consideration of parking players for two weeks rest missing only 2 games now.

Was such a joke schedule. At one point in season 7 games played disparity existed among teams. Thats an amateur looking schedule.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
But we still had the 3 of the games against Vancouver in first month which is ridiculous sheduling. We had the brutal Florida/Carolina road trip which is often a killers role.

Had we had a normal balanced season we would have only played Vancouver one game the first month while we were struggling. That we played them 3X and lost all those is why Vancouver is in first.

No divisional opponents should be playing 3X in the first month of season. That doesn't even make sense. Would be better to even have more divisional matchups late in season which makes for greater drama down the stretch.

The schedule screwed up in so many ways. We still have 5 games left and other clubs as little as two. Several teams are already frankly done seasons and just in consideration of parking players for two weeks rest missing only 2 games now.

Was such a joke schedule. At one point in season 7 games played disparity existed among teams. Thats an amateur looking schedule.

Don't disagree with you there RE: stacking games against a divisional opponent close together.

One caveat out of fairness - the Oilers got that random week off in the middle of the year due to the request of the club so McDavid could attend the Canada Walk of Fame induction. They could have spread the extra games out a bit better instead of jamming them in the last week, but the Oilers aren't necessarily innocent bystanders with respect to the pacing of the schedule.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't disagree with you there RE: stacking games against a divisional opponent close together.

One caveat out of fairness - the Oilers got that random week off in the middle of the year due to the request of the club so McDavid could attend the Canada Walk of Fame induction. They could have spread the extra games out a bit better instead of jamming them in the last week, but the Oilers aren't necessarily innocent bystanders with respect to the pacing of the schedule.
Never heard that before, thanks. Not a good reason to screw the whole schedule. Why would it require a week off for the whole team?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He has a way of elevating his game when McDavid is not playing.

The Nucks are shitting bricks. They know they are getting licked in the first round by Nashville or LA of all teams.
I can't speak for the players but as a fan the only team from the Pacific I worry about is you guys and least of all the kings.

It was fun reverting to a juvenile and talking smack against the oilers and I still think Nurse sucks but since Demko got hurt and goaltending has been a difference maker in a negative way, it made me appreciate what you guys went through earlier this year.

Don't get me wrong if we play each other in round two I'll probably get banned for talking shit but for now the joy of an actual playoff game for the first time in what 9 years? Has made me soft
Besides with Stone back at practice all of a sudden 2nd place doesn't seem all that terrible lol

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I can't speak for the players but as a fan the only team from the Pacific I worry about is you guys and least of all the kings.

It was fun reverting to a juvenile and talking smack against the oilers and I still think Nurse sucks but since Demko got hurt and goaltending has been a difference maker in a negative way, it made me appreciate what you guys went through earlier this year.

Don't get me wrong if we play each other in round two I'll probably get banned for talking shit but for now the joy of an actual playoff game for the first time in what 9 years? Has made me soft
Besides with Stone back at practice all of a sudden 2nd place doesn't seem all that terrible lol
How does it feel to shit bricks? lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Kings have 7 out of possible 8 pts against Nucks and beat them 3X in regulation and walked all over the Nucks in two of those games. Only lost the one in Extra time and on a pk and outplayed the Nucks in that one too.

Kings could easily have taken all 4 games and would like to take more..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There is NO indication of other punishment, other than a loss.

The Oilers should absolute forfeit and forgo the game Against the Avs.

Rule 66 – Forfeit of Game

66.1 Forfeit of Game - In the event of failure by a Club to comply with a provision of the League constitution, by-laws, resolutions, rules or regulations affecting the playing of a game, the Referee shall, if so directed by the Commissioner or his designee, refuse to permit the game to proceed until the offending Club comes into compliance with such provision. Should the offending club persist in its refusal to come into compliance, the Referee shall, with the prior approval of the Commissioner or his designee, declare the game forfeited and the non-offending Club the winner. Should the Referee declare the game forfeited because both Clubs have refused to comply with such a provision, the visiting Club shall be declared the winner. If the game is declared forfeited prior to its having commenced, the score shall be recorded as 1-0 and no player shall be credited with any personal statistics. If the game was in progress at the time it is declared forfeited, the score shall be recorded as zero for the loser and 1, or such greater number of goals that had been scored by it, for the winner; however, the players on both Clubs shall be credited with all personal statistics earned up to the time the forfeit was declared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad