Yohe: Penguins "intend" to sign Plotnikov

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Looks like the Trib and Post Gazette are both reporting this too, but all are citing the same reference so I don't know if it adds much credibility.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Heard from people that Tikhonov is a package with him? Were could he play?

Bombulie replied to a tweet saying they're not a package deal, but that we have interest. Can't imagine having Plotnikov hurts us in pitching VT.

PCH
Kunitz - Malkin - ?
Plot - VT - Dupuis
Comeau - Sundqvist - Bennett/Wilson

trade Sutter, Spaling, etc. or mine free agency for answers on Geno's line. might not be terrible.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I like this a lot. This is a young guy with some size, sandpaper, and a decent nose for the net. I don't expect top 6 minutes out of him, but he could probably handle spot duty if the other winger was a high end guy.

Tikhonov would be perfect for the 4th line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Gotta be positive. I think this org hit rock bottom in April (in the Crosby/Malkin era).

I think it's pretty clear to even the most casual of hockey fans what this org needs to do. I think they will finally play their young guys and make legit attempts to surround their two stars with real skill. How it all works out, who knows.

I just truly believe they can't sink any lower than this past April.

If they do stupid ****, I'll have my say. But let's actually wait until that happens before we get pissed. I'm looking fwd to what happens the next few days. Plus you know... Sundqvist is coming so that's all I really need to make me happy for now.

Weren't you telling me this a year ago? :popcorn:

All seriousness, I'm with you. Assuming this happens and with OS, you can see something taking hold in terms of the top nine, especially if JR then leverages Sutter into another top six guy and moves Kunitz out. I'd love him to do the same with Scuderi (or even buy him out), but there's a limit to my wishful thinking.

Bombulie replied to a tweet saying they're not a package deal, but that we have interest. Can't imagine having Plotnikov hurts us in pitching VT.

PCH
Kunitz - Malkin - ?
Plot - VT - Dupuis
Comeau - Sundqvist - Bennett/Wilson

trade Sutter, Spaling, etc. or mine free agency for answers on Geno's line. might not be terrible.

I see no reason to sign Plotnikov and VT only to encourage Geno to demand a trade.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I might be thinking of Tikhonov with this July 1 thing, now that you mention it. But that's an NHL rights thing that has nothing to do with the KHL.

In any event, Panarin's signing started with a verbal agreement. Few days later, "agreed to terms." Few days later "Chicago signs."

One reason why Russian players don't go from "talking to NHL teams" to "X has signed with" overnight may be player's association paperwork. I doubt Panarin or Plotnikov are NHLPA members. They'd have no need to be prior to this season.

I guess that makes some sense at least.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Geno will demand a trade because kunitz is on his line? Touchy guys these russians :) hell if malkin didnt demand a trade after last year he never will.

I think he and crosby are gluttons for punishment actually. Leave it to the pens to have the only two stars in pro sports without an ounce of ego enough to speak out when the team isnt doing the right thing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't want Tikhonov to be honest, I don't think he's an NHLer. Plotnikov might be, at least.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
PER Molinari

They are expected to finalize a deal with Sergei Plotnikov on July 1 and would like to do the same with Viktor Tikhonov, a first-round draft choice for Phoenix in 2008.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ikov-penguins-pittsburgh/stories/201506240175

Even if it doesn't work, this course of action is wise.

The talent isn't there in NHL FA. Most money spent would be money spent foolishly (possible exception of Comeau or Frolik).

Nor are we deep enough on futures to acquire established players via trade or fill all important holes internally.

Rolling the dice on wild cards is probably the best we can do. And I'll take the odds on these guys over your Gibbonses and Boychuks.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Gonna say it right now.. Don't see this guy being an NHL player. You can't really teach skating and he certainly lacks it. In the 90s, he might have worked, but today's NHL is al about skating.

Don't get your hopes up guys - all likelihood points to a Janne Pesonen type of impact. Generates a ton of optimism/posts on message boards for downtrodden Penguins fans, but you can bet that the guy will produce very little at the NHL level. It's unrealistic to think that a guy playing in a lower tier league with skating issues will transition nicely to the NHL. I just don't see it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't want Tikhonov to be honest, I don't think he's an NHLer. Plotnikov might be, at least.

I agree about Tikhonov...though I haven't actually watched him play in a good 4-5 years now. That said, his stat line is worse than I imagined.

He'd be a solid trial, but a one-way deal could backfire.

Plotnikov should be able to carve a niche for himself...but that can be anything from third wheel on the second line to fourth liner. Either way I'm just happy that the organization is actually looking towards Europe to fix some of these problems rather than throwing more assets at the trade market.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Gonna say it right now.. Don't see this guy being an NHL player. You can't really teach skating and he certainly lacks it. In the 90s, he might have worked, but today's NHL is al about skating.

Don't get your hopes up guys - all likelihood points to a Janne Pesonen type of impact. Generates a ton of optimism/posts on message boards for downtrodden Penguins fans, but you can bet that the guy will produce very little at the NHL level. It's unrealistic to think that a guy playing in a lower tier league with skating issues will transition nicely to the NHL. I just don't see it.

He's younger and more physical than Pesonen which is a good start. You can get round having skating issues, I mean Jussi Jokinen was hardly a speed demon.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Something tells me you haven't even seen him play and are just taking some blurb on eliteprospects as gospel.

I've never seen anything wrong with his skating.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Have you actually seen him play?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Something tells me you haven't even seen him play and are just taking some blurb on eliteprospects as gospel.

I've never seen anything wrong with his skating.

I mean, he's a big galoot, obviously. But no, he doesn't lumber around like that Dergachev mutant, that I can tell.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It depends upon what one is hoping for, no?

I see a nice bottom six add, which is something Pesonen never was going to be (he was top six or bust).

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I agree about Tikhonov...though I haven't actually watched him play in a good 4-5 years now. That said, his stat line is worse than I imagined.

He'd be a solid trial, but a one-way deal could backfire.

Plotnikov should be able to carve a niche for himself...but that can be anything from third wheel on the second line to fourth liner. Either way I'm just happy that the organization is actually looking towards Europe to fix some of these problems rather than throwing more assets at the trade market.

His deal will necessarily need to be an ELC, correct? And probably one laden with incentives. If he fails as a top 6 winger, his style of play will lend itself to bottom six duties just fine, where some or all of his incentives won't kick in or hurt us cap wise. So from that perspective, it's not much of a gamble.

I would not expect this org is relying on the guy to be a 2nd wheel with Geno. But if Perron returns to form as I would expect, and PH stays PH, you've got a couple of solid 2nd wheels, even if they aren't speedy.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I feel like being a "bad" skater limits you the least of most deficiencies. You can always work around it if you're talented in other respects. You know who's a bad skater? Corey Perry.

If you're weak along the boards, have a muffin or an inaccurate shot, completely lack any hockey sense...those are all worse problems to have, IMO. If you're a bad skater, at the worst you probably just fall down a lot, and rely more on forechecking than speed off the rush for your offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad