Yohe: Penguins "intend" to sign Plotnikov

Penguinzilla*

I must not get my hopes until it actually happens. I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind last-minute and signed with someone else

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
That was more of a long term thing, I want that to be our 3rd line in the future.

Ah ... gotcha. Although, here's a thought ... Duper can play center as well as either wing.

Frolik/Perron-Crosby-Horny
Frolik/Perron-Malkin-Tikhonov/BB
Plotnikov-OS-BB/KK
Wilson-Duper-Zlobin
Farnham

Expensive 4C, true, but it would also mean fewer minutes for him, which is probably a good idea.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Then it's a curious choice of words with "intend", don't you think? The team can intend to do all kinds of things. What they actually do is an entirely different story. It is positive that they're looking in that direction. But given this org's history of saying things and then delivering on them <cough>Despres talk from Mario/Burkle interview</cough>, and the sketchy source I think I'll wait to plan the parade until a signed contract is delivered to NHL registry.

The word "intend" is there because they can't sign him until July 1 . We're looking at a verbal agreement, not a plan of action that may be subject to change. (edit: nvm, that's Tikhonov)

One party might go back on an agreement, but it rarely happens. I can think of only two such instances ever ottomh--Washington with Bissonnette (couldn't sort out the cap) and Joe Murphy with the Rangers, like, 15 years ago.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm always weary when I hear about guys who "need to work on their skating," but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Ah ... gotcha. Although, here's a thought ... Duper can play center as well as either wing.

Frolik/Perron-Crosby-Horny
Frolik/Perron-Malkin-Tikhonov/BB
Plotnikov-OS-BB/KK
Wilson-Duper-Zlobin
Farnham

Expensive 4C, true, but it would also mean fewer minutes for him, which is probably a good idea.

LOL......... Do you really believe Duper will be a 4th line C??? I will kiss your butt on Carson street if Duper isn't on Sid's line by week 3.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm always weary when I hear about guys who "need to work on their skating," but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Same here, but Sutter doesn't need to work on his skating and that hasn't worked out too well.

I'm fanatical about guys being able to skate, but if Sundqvist and Plotnikov can own the boards, I'll take the trade off.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
LOL......... Do you really believe Duper will be a 4th line C??? I will kiss your butt on Carson street if Duper isn't on Sid's line by week 3.

Just tossing ideas out there, man. And trying to have a positive outlook. Jiggy has inspired me, as he always does.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just tossing ideas out there, man. And trying to have a positive outlook. Jiggy has inspired me, as he always does.

Gotta be positive. I think this org hit rock bottom in April (in the Crosby/Malkin era).

I think it's pretty clear to even the most casual of hockey fans what this org needs to do. I think they will finally play their young guys and make legit attempts to surround their two stars with real skill. How it all works out, who knows.

I just truly believe they can't sink any lower than this past April.

If they do stupid ****, I'll have my say. But let's actually wait until that happens before we get pissed. I'm looking fwd to what happens the next few days. Plus you know... Sundqvist is coming so that's all I really need to make me happy for now.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The word "intend" is there because they can't sign him until July 1. We're looking at a verbal agreement, not a plan of action that may be subject to change.

One party might go back on an agreement, but it rarely happens. I can think of only two such instances ever ottomh--Washington with Bissonnette (couldn't sort out the cap) and Joe Murphy with the Rangers, like, 15 years ago.

What's the difference with him and Chicago signing Panarin?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone else hoping that another team swoops in and plucks him up before the Penguins can sign him? That would make my day

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
At best, he's a 2nd liner in the Kulemin mold. At worst, he's an effective 3rd liner.

We still need a legit, top-flight winger for our top six either way.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What's the difference with him and Chicago signing Panarin?

I might be thinking of Tikhonov with this July 1 thing, now that you mention it. But that's an NHL rights thing that has nothing to do with the KHL.

In any event, Panarin's signing started with a verbal agreement. Few days later, "agreed to terms." Few days later "Chicago signs."

One reason why Russian players don't go from "talking to NHL teams" to "X has signed with" overnight may be player's association paperwork. I doubt Panarin or Plotnikov are NHLPA members. They'd have no need to be prior to this season.

penguins2946*

I agree. I think he's a bit of a mix of Fedotenko, Komarov and Kulemin.

Yeah this is a pretty accurate description, but I think he has a much better shot than any of those 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad