Yohe: Penguins "intend" to sign Plotnikov

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So I made a talent assessment / projection..
It seems more like you stole someone else's talent assessment / projection.

You disagreed with it and then accused me of not knowing what I'm talking about? And then you go on to say he could be a boom or bust player? Got it. Lots of confidence and conviction there, Jacob

Funny stuff man. You said similar stuff about me when I made my predictions about Staal and we all know who got the last laugh ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about. You should be more grateful towards me, I'm like the only poster here that doesn't have you on ignore or respond to you 100% derisively.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Well what are you basing you're talent assessment / projection on? It's a pretty simple ****ing question.

Especially considering the guy he's calling out HAS seen plotnikov play and skate before and doesn't think it will be that big of an issue.

I haven't seen anything outside that highlight video. The only thing I can see in it is that he has a good shot, is physical and can play around the net. His skating really isn't on display in the video.

It's a baseless assumption he's making to be different and again, negative.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crazy idea, but is it a possibility that there's a correlation between the two characteristics you described?

Actually no. Hockey IQ and speed are unrelated skill sets.

If you read a play poorly but skate fast, it's comparable to having a top hockey IQ but not being the fleetest of foot.

If you skate like **** and think the game like ****, then you're ******, because you're too late to react and lack the speed to make up for it.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It seems more like you stole someone else's talent assessment / projection..
Okay so now I stole my talent assessment? Lol.. Got it Jacob. Funny stuff man

So anyone who thinks Plotnikov won't pan out as an NHL player clearly steals talent assessments / scouting reports. You sound very logical... Haha

I mean honestly - who can disagree with that logic / reasoning?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Oh look cassius is making absurd comparisons to the only other Euro free agent forward the Pens have signed in the past decade.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Oh look cassius is making absurd comparisons to the only other Euro free agent forward the Pens have signed in the past decade.

I'm suggesting a high risk KHL free agent won't be an impact player at the NHL level. What a crazy, crazy concept.. Almost as crazy as suggesting that Groupon isn't a good stock to invest in. Crazy stuff right?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Couldn't have said it any better. The negativity around here has been irritating to say the least.

The only move I hated was the despres move. But I'm still going to say there was something else behind it that didn't get out to the public.

Ya something about Despres loving buffets too much in Vegas...

No reply was necessary. It's a nice signing. If you can add Tikhonov, it goes a long way to undoing a lot of the damage JR and his predecessor have done and creates a lot of flexibility in terms of potential acquisitions.

It's just that it's JR with that flexibility that gives me a little pause. :D

Seriously, I agree 100% with your concluding paragraph. Thing is, this year, he's got to target and get rid of the right guys.

Adams is gone. That's one positive.

If two of Sutter, Kunitz and Scuds are moved by Oct, I'll consider that a huge positive. Baby steps.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So I made a talent assessment / projection.. You disagreed with it and then accused me of not knowing what I'm talking about? And then you go on to say he could be a boom or bust player? Got it. Lots of confidence and conviction there, Jacob

Funny stuff man. You said similar stuff about me when I made my predictions about Staal and we all know who got the last laugh ;)

I'm not sure what you think you were right and everyone else was wrong about.

I'm suggesting a high risk KHL free agent won't be an impact player at the NHL level. What a crazy, crazy concept.. Almost as crazy as suggesting that Groupon isn't a good stock to invest in. Crazy stuff right?

Why exactly is he a high risk free agent? Do tell.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ya something about Despres loving buffets too much in Vegas...

Adams is gone. That's one positive.

If two of Sutter, Kunitz and Scuds are moved by Oct, I'll consider that a huge positive. Baby steps.

If that happens AND the big add bigger/better long term than Sharp or someone of that ilk, then I'll join you as a cautious idealist, atleast until I watch MJ mangle the bench. :D

EDIT: Side note, while I like the signing, I don't want them counting on Plotnikov as top six. This is the type of **** that keeps getting them into trouble.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
There's obviously no guarantee that this kid is an NHLer, but for the cost/risk/potential reward I'm thrilled the Pens are even interested. Hopefully the kid can play. If not, try again.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Tangradi's skating was certainly bad, but it's not why he washed out. He washed out because he reads the play way, way, way, way, way too slow.

agreed, Tangradi didn't fail in the NHL because of skating.

The guy was a hockey idiot for one, was a huge man who played small, and his shot was pretty meh.

I could go on about how AHL tangradi was skill level, as I watched him a ton when he was in WBS. But that horse is dead now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Anyone who has issues with this needs to re-evaluate themselves. It is a cheap deal with 0 risk.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Crazy idea, but is it a possibility that there's a correlation between the two characteristics you described?

No. Fata was a fantastic skater who was illiterate when it came to reading the play. Brunette read the play incredibly fast, but skated like an umbrella sinking in a pool.

Other than that both are weaknesses, the two things have nothing to do with each other.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
You understand what risk means, right? By definition, an ELC is not high-risk.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Sutter+Bennett+Harrington for Oshie
Kunitz for a 2nd or 3rd
Scuderi for a 7th

PERRON - CROSBY - HORNQVIST
PLOTNIKOV - MALKIN - OSHIE
TIKHONOV - FEHR - DUPUIS
SPALING - SUNDQVIST - COMEAU

MAATTA - LETANG
COLE - POULIOT
DUMOULIN - LOVEJOY

Last edited:

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
The best take I can say to see where Plotnikov is: look back at the Gold Medal IIHF game 2015. He played with Tikhonov and Ovechkin and was a PKer. Good with stick checking but will force it to Ovechkin a good bit. Skating sticks out on big ice; Similar to Winnik skating. Alot like Fedotenko.

Last edited:

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Kunitz for a 2nd or 3rd
Scuderi for a 7th

TIKHONOV - FEHR - DUPUIS

MAATTA - LETANG
COLE - POULIOT
DUMOULIN - LOVEJOY

Nice line-up but we could hang onto Kunitz in this scenario and I would hope we would. Given his track record, there's a chance he could return to form which wouldn't put him in the Top 6 but he'd be one hell of a bottom 6 player, certainly better than VT or Spaling.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Kunitz for a 2nd or 3rd
Scuderi for a 7th

TIKHONOV - FEHR - DUPUIS

MAATTA - LETANG
COLE - POULIOT
DUMOULIN - LOVEJOY

I feel like Oshie would be a better compliment to Sid than he would be to Malkin. Oshie has never really played the off wing while Hornqvist bounced back and forth while on nashville. If you want to keep he and Sid together try him on left with Oshie on right and give Perron to Geno with Plotnikov?

Also I'm a bit leary about just throwing Plots into the top six, would prefer that he start as a third liner and steal the job from someone else, even if it is a middle six free agent signing like a frolik. I mean we have the cap space. I think a Plot-Tik-Duper third line would be killer and the money spent on Fehr could go to someone with more of an offensive upside.

Horn - Sid - Oshie
Perron -Geno - Frolik
Plots - Tik - Duper
Sundqvist - Spaling (wilson, comeau, rust ect)

then if Plots is better than advertised
Plots Geon Perron (feels like the Fedo Geno Sykora line of old)
Duper Tik Frolik

Too Bad that Glencross has really lost a step, I always thought he would look great as a penguin.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
I feel like Oshie would be a better compliment to Sid than he would be to Malkin. Oshie has never really played the off wing while Hornqvist bounced back and forth while on nashville. If you want to keep he and Sid together try him on left with Oshie on right and give Perron to Geno with Plotnikov?

Also I'm a bit leary about just throwing Plots into the top six, would prefer that he start as a third liner and steal the job from someone else, even if it is a middle six free agent signing like a frolik. I mean we have the cap space. I think a Plot-Tik-Duper third line would be killer and the money spent on Fehr could go to someone with more of an offensive upside.

Horn - Sid - Oshie
Perron -Geno - Frolik
Plots - Tik - Duper
Sundqvist - Spaling (wilson, comeau, rust ect)

then if Plots is better than advertised
Plots Geon Perron (feels like the Fedo Geno Sykora line of old)
Duper Tik Frolik

Too Bad that Glencross has really lost a step, I always thought he would look great as a penguin.

that works as well , wasn't aware of Hornqvist being able to play LW

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
From some video out there, it looks like the kid has decent vision and can pass the puck too, didn't expect that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kettle meets...Plot.

Free depth, Geno happith, Cassius still complaining. Anything else.

Damn.. A lot of catching up reading on this place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad