Post-Game Talk: Yes We Won! We Wo-on! We Wo-on! Unfortunately, I bet on the other team, so no pizza.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Sure, anything is possible, but if Sports Club Stats is to be believed, we have a better chance of winning the Stanley Cup (6.8%) than of missing the playoffs (5.4%).

I'll just repeat that because it sounds vaguely important.

We're likelier to win the Cup than to miss the playoffs.

Remember, we'll get some of those loser points too along the way.

Feels good man!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I too am greatly enjoying the ride this season. On paper, this roster looks pretty remarkable in terms of skill and depth...but as a natural pessimist I always assume that things will not go as they "should." Of course, goaltending is critical and for pretty much the first time in 2.0 we are getting real goalie work. That's really the big negative Chevy thing for me - how long we were stuck in Pav land. But I'm really enjoying the view from where we are in the standings at this point! Such a pleasure to be in a real good place at Xmas instead of 3 or 4 points out of a WC spot...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Kulikov is looking every bit like his contract value so far.
That's an understatement. There are a number of worse D making 6+(although its admittedly silly to compare to others mistake contracts) It was interesting to hear the Maurice comments, where he states they watched every shift from last year, and essentially said he was terrible. lol. Yet they were confident he could contribute. Quite a gamble, and its paying off nicely.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It was tough for a few years but that ‘process’ actually looks like it existed and I love what Chevy has put together. He gets all the props from me.

Yea at this point with how the Moose and Jets are playing Chevy has the fence sitters leaning. No GM is perfect and Chevy has made mistakes but he is building a war chest of talent and he has finally figured out how to hire a starting goalie. I needed to see results this season and so far so good.

Good times in Winnipeg this year.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
This is a dumb thing to complain about, but why isn't #NHLJets the emoji hashtag? Every other team seems to have used the tag that everyone was using...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea at this point with how the Moose and Jets are playing Chevy has the fence sitters leaning. No GM is perfect and Chevy has made mistakes but he is building a war chest of talent and he has finally figured out how to hire a starting goalie. I needed to see results this season and so far so good.

Good times in Winnipeg this year.
IMO at least Chevy has learned his lessons well as he gained experience as a GM. Early on he signed a few bad contracts, held on to a couple players too long and got played once or twice by an agent. But he learned from mistakes and became a better GM as time passed. As of today we are extremely well positioned with a wealth of good young talent and a well managed cap to really become a force over the next few years and IMO Chevy deserves a great deal of credit for that.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
IMO at least Chevy has learned his lessons well as he gained experience as a GM. Early on he signed a few bad contracts, held on to a couple players too long and got played once or twice by an agent. But he learned from mistakes and became a better GM as time passed. As of today we are extremely well positioned with a wealth of good young talent and a well managed cap to really become a force over the next few years and IMO Chevy deserves a great deal of credit for that.

Yup.

This was the show me season and he is showing me. This doesn’t feel flukey or doesn’t feel like we are overachieving. It feels like we are taking the next step and playing to our talent level. It’s the combination of how both teams are playing and how a new wave of later round draft picks are taking big steps. Lots of positives.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I had to attend a dinner last night.

Missed the game, purposefully denied myself any media. :laugh:

Went back home, watched the PVR'd game with interested family/friends. :popcorn:

Man....:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: I've used the term "favourite game" a few times, but this may have been my favourite game this year. We finished the game at 1:15 am.

I loved the play of that first line. Pate looks like a new man, O'Connor and Wheels played well with a few small gaffs. Perrault is a man on a mission - that guy is such a natural! Helle BOY, boooooooooyah. Elite performance by Helle Boy.

Armia is emerging from his chrysalis as a very gifted player with soft hands.

Love this team. I am so pleased with their play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dayofthedogs

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup.

This was the show me season and he is showing me. This doesn’t feel flukey or doesn’t feel like we are overachieving. It feels like we are taking the next step and playing to out talent level. It’s the combination of how both teams are playing and how a new wave of later round draft picks are taking big steps. Lots of positives.
I'm really enjoying the depth and competition for jobs in the organization. A couple years back when we were picking up everyone's trash off the waiver wire it was hard to imagine a day would come when we had a top prospect like Roslovic biding his time on the farm or a player as skilled as Armia on the 4th line or a guy like Poolman as the 7-8 D. Never mind so many budding young stars (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, Helly). If Chevy can find a way to keep this group intact I really like our future.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm really enjoying the depth and competition for jobs in the organization. A couple years back when we were picking up everyone's trash off the waiver wire it was hard to imagine a day would come when we had a top prospect like Roslovic biding his time on the farm or a player as skilled as Armia on the 4th line or a guy like Poolman as the 7-8 D. Never mind so many budding young stars (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, Helly). If Chevy can find a way to keep this group intact I really like our future.

Reminds me of some of the more subltle comments over the years by guys like Brain Burke when he said ‘they are letting Chevy do his job the right way in Winnipeg’. I know Burkie is nuts but that comment stuck with me. I think most GMs are forced to win now or feel the pressure from the owners.

Mark is patient and loyal to a fault hopefully it all pays off.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Reminds me of some of the more subltle comments over the years by guys like Brain Burke when he said ‘they are letting Chevy do his job the right way in Winnipeg’. I know Burkie is nuts but that comment stuck with me. I think most GMs are forced to win now or feel the pressure from the owners.

hkn_nhl_ottawa_senators_winnipeg_jets_20130119_25591809.jpg

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

I think he already did find a way to keep them together.... Signing Chef for 6 and change per and Ehlers for 6.

Those 2 contracts combined with the litts an MP deals plus the rising Canadian dollar and cap. He's also staggered a bunch of big money contacts that are expiring year after year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
i think some of the criticism of Chevy was justified, sort of.
Signing Stuart to that deal was not great, but the Jets were pretty think on D at that point, so not sure how many other options were available.
Thorburn: that was a dumb signing, but apparently glue guys are more important than what most analytics people think. apparently.

he's great at drafting and developing. his knock is his hesitancy to trade, which i don't think is much of a knock, really. and most of his signings as of late have been EXCELLENT value signings.

i find little to fault of the Chevy of the past 2 seasons. the seasons before? eh. i'll give him a pass for him cutting his teeth as a GM and for being handed an awkward hand to play i.e. a middling roster and two prima donna players that wanted out.
The years before the last two seasons was when he was drafting and developing this roster and prospect pool. The other roster moves werent always smart but he was hiding time until his drafted core was ready. He said this every season, but a lot of fans dismissed the "process" and wanted him to just be more active on the trade market. I think the results are starting to show when you consider the quality of the roster and the prospect pool, not to mention the records of the Jets and Moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he already did find a way to keep them together.... Signing Chef for 6 and change per and Ehlers for 6.

Those 2 contracts combined with the litts an MP deals plus the rising Canadian dollar and cap. He's also staggered a bunch of big money contacts that are expiring year after year.
Agreed we are well on the way to getting everyone under contract but there a couple very important ones coming up this off season. I'm cautiously optimistic Chevy finds a way to keep this young cohort together.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I like that Burke comment. Also agree on Chipman. I think we will see a very stable organization for years to come. I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy is around long enough to see some of his draft picks play out their careers.

Reactions: Kgame

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Good win, but if Helle wasn't a wall, could of been a much different game.
So, kinda the opposite of last game we played against the Isles?

That's hockey - just like in baseball one position is nearly always pivotal in result.

Reactions: ps241

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yay, a win!

CWL: A pleasant surprise. I was expecting difficulties prior to the game due to Wheeler being in an unorthodox situation and Laine having his minutes and assignments going up a lot, but they did not let us down. Connor was the MOTM out of the forwards, IMO. The defensive side of the game left room for improvement, but that is to be expected in these circumstances.

PLE: A good effort. All three seemed to be on their games. Perreault played with enormous energy and caused trouble in the Isles' end. Little was very visible, if you like; I recall him executing quite a few zone entries and distributing the puck. It's a shame they didn't manage to convert any of their numerous scoring chances. All three were over 60% in Corsi.

CLA: Another awesome showing from Armia. What an unbelievably irritating player he is along the boards; he fights there with the persistence of @10Ducky10 trying to sell the idea of us acquiring an overpaid 3C. We all remember the shift in the second period, during which him and Lowry glued the Isles to their places and simply did not allow them to leave their zone for a good minute. Lowry was my runner-up for the best forward; his defensive effort was unbelievable, and he managed to get a goal and an assist to go with it. Copp was good as usual; nothing really stood out from his night.

MH(T): Outside of the goal, Matthias didn't do much. Hendricks had a couple of very decent moments, mostly on the PK and on that one breakaway where he seemed to pull away from Wheeler (yes, that happened). Here's hoping Tanev is OK; he has been very good and consistent so far, and I'd love to see his energy against the Oilers.

44-8: A strong showing. Morrissey is showing some great consistency in his tough role. Trouba BLAST was quite good BLAST. Although some were BLAST not fans of his BLAST play on the BLAST PP, at least one BLAST of his BLASTS ended up in the back of the BLAST net.

5-57: Myers - clear cut MOTM. The confidence was there at both ends of the ice, his legs were moving, and so was the puck with him. Simply an excellent effort, with very little mistakes throughout the game. Kulikov with a strong game too; he has shown to be very capable of handling the increased workload without skipping a beat.

7-3: Nothing too much out of the ordinary. From what I remember, they seemed to get quite a few shifts with the Wheeler and Hendricks lines, which did not help their night, but they survived without conceding a goal, at least.

37: A beautiful performance. Any time you put in a 42-save performance, you have usually played very well, and this was no exception. The game-breaking skate save on Bailey was otherworldly.

PP: Now, this is where I think we suffered greatly from these new circumstances. The first attempts were nothing short of painful to watch. Props to Maurice for reacting very quickly and ending the Laine experiment before it really even began. We need to learn some new tricks without Scheifele, or else our PP% will take a massive nose dive.

PK: Decent job. We had to fend off one of the best power plays in the league, and managed just that. The Isles got a lot of shots off, though, and based on the shot chart, not all of them were from bad locations either.

Maurice: Give the man his Jack Adams and then some Jack Daniels. Icing an unbeaten lineup without the 1C of the team? He deserves it.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate the emergence of Anders Lee as one of the best net-front players in the league? We've seen him claim that area as his own twice in the last seven days, and holy shit, how well he plays there. No wonder he's currently tied for first in the Richard race.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I knew when I made Kuli my avy I did it for a reason. It took him a while, and there are adventures, but for the most part I have been extremely happy with him. Imagine if we didn't sign him? We'd have Chiarot in the top 4 (I thought he was decent last night but come on) and a 3rd pair of Poolman and Melchiori that would probably play 10 minutes max.

Myers is a frustrating guy to watch. He shows you absolute brilliance but it's like he's only got so much brain power for a game and everytime he does something great he burns some of it up. Then you get the Myers who just does something incredibly dumb or just blows a play. I still believe there is an elite defenseman in there - I wonder if he'll ever figure it out?

I still believe that teams are about balance and chemistry and a lot of people here are doing the forward lines like they are playing a video game or building a fantasy team. Hendricks and Tanev IMHO have been a significant part of this team - way more than Thorburn, Peluso, post groin injury Slater, or Glass ever were.

I believe the way Tanev plays is almost inspirational to the guys on this team. He has zero regard for his safety or body. That type of speed and pressure is VERY stressful to opposition defense, I know - I HATE players like that. I dislike small fast aggressively forechecking forwards way more than skill forwards or big guys cause with those guys when you regain possession it's much easier to reset and break out.

I know I am speaking to deaf ears but I really like the balance of this team. Taking out guys like Hendricks and Tanev and putting in Dano (who's done jack squat with his opportunities) and Roslovic (right where he should be in his development path) is a mistake.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yup.

This was the show me season and he is showing me. This doesn’t feel flukey or doesn’t feel like we are overachieving. It feels like we are taking the next step and playing to our talent level. It’s the combination of how both teams are playing and how a new wave of later round draft picks are taking big steps. Lots of positives.

All of the above, and this year we still have all of our picks in a strong draft. We are drafting really well and if that continues then we will be strong for years in both the Jets and the Moose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad