Post-Game Talk: Yes We Won! We Wo-on! We Wo-on! Unfortunately, I bet on the other team, so no pizza.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
All of the above, and this year we still have all of our picks in a strong draft. We are drafting really well and if that continues then we will be strong for years in both the Jets and the Moose.
On top of that, we have an extra pick in the fifth round! That's a Jamie Benn, pretty much.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm really enjoying the depth and competition for jobs in the organization. A couple years back when we were picking up everyone's trash off the waiver wire it was hard to imagine a day would come when we had a top prospect like Roslovic biding his time on the farm or a player as skilled as Armia on the 4th line or a guy like Poolman as the 7-8 D. Never mind so many budding young stars (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, Helly). If Chevy can find a way to keep this group intact I really like our future.
I totally agree...what is scary is the amount of guys from the 2015 that might hit...embarrassment of riches.

Reactions: libertarian

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My 3 strong emerging Jet's players

1) Hellebuyck- Ilike his "no lose" attitude. If he let's in an easy goal, he takes it personally, and shows he wants, and expects to win. Also he improved himself over last season by changing his pre-season workout routine. This guy is a leader and has a fierce determination to win, and it's spreading to the other players. He's playing at around .920 SP% and if he can keep that up--we'll be more in the hunt. It looks to me that Helle is emerging as a leader, along with Wheeler. Helle has lots of grit, and he's the kind of "character player" that you win championships with.

2) Kyle Connor- looking more confident every time out. He has the finest "touch hands" in close to the net, and can feather perfectly timed passes. Kyle is going to be a big part of the Jet's future. Also has a great shot - especially in close to the net -- very soft hands. Nice 2 points against the Isles.

3) Joel Armia- looking quite fast lately and feels very comfortable with the Jets. He is gaining confidence with every game, and is regaining his hi- scoring junior abilities. I think with fellow European players like Ehlers, and Laine, he feels right at home, and is really starting to impress a lot of people. He has a great shot, very good puck handler, and could easily become a top 6 forward, and would not look out of place right now. I think he will "surprise" people with his scoring ability.

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I have absolutely zero issue with Maurice's line decisions here. I think his bad habits are still bad, I think he pulls the goalie way too late (as virtually all NHL coaches do) but good gracious Ignatius, do I love watching him run up a blue streak. As Don Cherry would say, "kids at home: don't read lips!"

Watch the language Alpha, this is a family-friendly forum! :P

What a game. Needed that.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The roster Jets have is amazing, so much talent up top and the depth is also there. They can put up a very good line up even missing their #1 C and two top-4 D-men. I have no idea of the contract situation, but taking into account there seems to be some good prospects in the pipeline as well, the future is looking good. They could be contending as early as this season, and the next two or so I guess are only looking better if anything, as guys like Laine, Ehlers, Connor will be entering their prime or close to it.

I'm gonna give PoMo the thumbs up for coaching in this situation, a convincing first game after losing Scheif. His lineup and decisions haven't looked bad at all now that he's been forced to let go of his stubborness and into action. Hopefully that carries into eventual healthy line up as well. Also the CSW 1st line was getting kinda stale the past month, this forced shake up could end up being good for the team.

This is a great post. I think we all had our reservations and second guesses about Pmo's moves but he gave them a chance and they came through. I think we all want a few changes in deployment here and there, Laine with Scheif, Perreault and Armia with a better centre etc, but we don't know everything behind the scenes that coaches do. It's evident Pmo is looking for balance and sometimes as a coach that's at the expense of the lineup most want.
I too think like another poster said that this will be a lot tougher on the road when we don't have last change, that's when Pmo may need to move a few guys around. One game at a time, adversity will come one way or another.

Reactions: ps241

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
One thing I should add, is Wheeler and Perreault need to be in the top six on seperate lines, they drive play and make others around them so much better. Wheeler made Laine look like a different player and MP made Little look like he had more jump as Little was able to play more north south due to MP's aggressive play. Lowry and Copp are great together and if Armia gets a chance there he will prove to be more effective than Tanev, they will still be great in their own zone but Armia will add that offensive touch to the line.
edit: any news if Tanev is hurt past last night?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing I should add, is Wheeler and Perreault need to be in the top six on seperate lines, they drive play and make others around them so much better. Wheeler made Laine look like a different player and MP made Little look like he had more jump as Little was able to play more north south due to MP's aggressive play. Lowry and Copp are great together and if Armia gets a chance there he will prove to be more effective than Tanev, they will still be great in their own zone but Armia will add that offensive touch to the line.
edit: any news if Tanev is hurt past last night?
Yeah I really don't think that Little's game works with Laine. I think Ehlers could work with Little and Matty given a chance, cause Ehlers does attack with a lot of speed.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Excuse me? Crediting him for what? Scheif getting injured?

No, how he is handling losing a league top 5 C.

We will see in the next few games if moving Wheels to C is a good move or not but if this works and the team keeps winning PoMo will look like a genius. If Wheels can produce just as well at C as the wing then the Jets might have the deepest depth at C in the league which would make them a Cup contender.

Scheif
Wheels
Little
Lowry

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
i would almost prefer to not necessarily control our fate but have a healthy and well rested team for the playoffs. "pedal to the metal" all the way to the playoffs doesn't seem very sustainable and is a recipe for disappointment.

the west is a gong show this year with all the loser points being awarded which makes it complicated. a bad skid and a team could easily miss the playoffs.

f*** off, man. Take time and enjoy it. How many times have we been so firmly entrenched in the top half of the league?

"Oh, I so want to enjoy the nice weather, but I'm worried about skin cancer."
"I love the rain, but I hope that there aren't any downed powerlines from the wind."

This is you. Relax a little, man. Quit worrying about the negatives for a little while. The Jets have been playing relatively mediocre, but that mediocre is still at above a .500 pace. Wait until they go on a significant losing streak before you get stressed out over the negatives.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This is a dumb thing to complain about, but why isn't #NHLJets the emoji hashtag? Every other team seems to have used the tag that everyone was using...

I agree. I would like to be able to use the hashtag emoji without sounding like a homer, and I cringe whenever I see media people use it for that reason. It makes them sound positively biased.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

We will see in the next few games if moving Wheels to C is a good move or not but if this works and the team keeps winning PoMo will look like a genius. If Wheels can produce just as well at C as the wing then the Jets might have the deepest depth at C in the league which would make them a Cup contender.

Scheif
Wheels
Little
Lowry

Gotcha. Maybe I misunderstood (really should not comment at 6am after several alcoholic beverages). It's just weird to compliment a guy that makes no moves unless he absolutely has to, be it garbage time or not, and now that we are discovering what kind of roster we have and the changes actually work, he is some kind of genius. That being said, the move seems to pay dividends so yeah it was a good move. He should make moves more often.

Gotta hand it to Wheeler also. He is just a jack of all trades. "Want me to play C? Easy."

Helle was also outstanding in this game. That toe-save was sublime. Halak was also mostly on fire.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Scheif
Wheels
Little
Lowry
Gotta say that i wouldn't of thought of Wheeler to center . Goes to show what i know :laugh: I would have moved Little up to #1 and Frenchie to the second center . If this works , man does Maurice have options when Scheif is back .

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Gotta say that i wouldn't of thought of Wheeler to center . Goes to show what i know :laugh: I would have moved Little up to #1 and Frenchie to the second center . If this works , man does Maurice have options when Scheif is back .

I agree. imagine going into the playoffs with Scheif, Wheels, Lowry and Little down the middle. the Jets have more than enough talent on the wings to do this. that would be hard to beat. Man the Jets are going to be a tough out this year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. imagine going into the playoffs with Scheif, Wheels, Lowry and Little down the middle. the Jets have more than enough talent on the wings to do this. that would be hard to beat. Man the Jets are going to be a tough out this year.
Imagine how tough it would be to play against this:
Laine Scheif Wheels
Connor Little Ehlers
Perreault Roslovic Armia
Copp Lowry Tanev

Dare to dream Arnold, Dare to dream!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agreed we are well on the way to getting everyone under contract but there a couple very important ones coming up this off season. I'm cautiously optimistic Chevy finds a way to keep this young cohort together.
the way the nhl's currently designed, you can't bet on keeping your entire group together. you decide who is expendable and who isn't.

my thought? if you're a GM, just draft centres and d-men. those are the biggest commodities.

We're loving Lowry's game, but if he asks for $3.5 mil/year, do you give it to him? or do you plop in another young centre in the waiting?
same with Copp. playing well, but if he wants more than $1.5 mil/year, you keep him? even at $1.5 mil/year, you can put a rookie into that spot and save $800 000/year, which goes a long way when you're trying to keep higher-end talent.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Scheif
Wheels
Little
Lowry

I like Wheeler at center - he has all the skills for that position --he's big, fast and drives the play, and most importantly he's in the Top 5 in the NHL for "assists", and that shows he's a great "playmaker". I think they should run with this for awhile.

Also, I don't think Wheeler's shot is near as accurate as Laine's, Connor's, or Ehlers, and would like to see him being our setup man at center ice, and pass it off to the snipers.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
gameShots-2017-12-29-2017020582-NYIatWPG.png

Here we see two teams trying to figure out what defense is.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad