F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I've come to accept this to be true; I'm open to differing opinions, analysis and so forth, but Pronman gets basic stuff wrong too often. His final list is interesting only because it's clearly influenced by others who have more insight into the prospects.
Yes, that's the point. It's about what his list says about his sources' opinions... The written words don't really matter.

Reactions: Leto

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He also said Leo Carlsson's skating is below average but retracted when he actually saw Leo play in the NHL. Been saying for years that Pronman is a hack. Don't know why people continue to give his opinions any credence.
I mean skating can be hard to project, let's be honest

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean skating can be hard to project, let's be honest

From one year to the next?

Leo has a technical flaw where he doesn't bend much at the ankles, and every scout saw it last year. But he's a really powerful fast skater in the mold of many great #1 centers. He immediately moves well in the NHL, from game one.

That wasn't an issue of failing to project his growth as a skater, it was just scouts overfocusing on technique at the expense of how good the player is at actually moving around.

Somewhat different flaw with Demidov but again it's the same thing where some scouts are looking at technique and not actual movement ability. Demidov isn't very fast but his balance and agility are high end, regardless of any knock knee.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Great video with some truly unique plays highlighted. Really reminds me of Patty Kane with the patience, vision, passing

Reactions: ViD

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's so hard to find a reasonable comp for this player because he is pretty unique. I'm sure I'll get jumped for this, but he reminds me a bit of Alex Galchenyuk from his Sarnia days, though Demidov has better vision and puck skills while not being as fast in a straight line.

Neither guy was the quickest or fastest, but both were excellent on their edges, strong on the puck, deceptive & patient stickhandlers, and had great vision.

From one year to the next?

Leo has a technical flaw where he doesn't bend much at the ankles, and every scout saw it last year. But he's a really powerful fast skater in the mold of many great #1 centers. He immediately moves well in the NHL, from game one.

That wasn't an issue of failing to project his growth as a skater, it was just scouts overfocusing on technique at the expense of how good the player is at actually moving around.
I agree with this 100%. Too often I see scouts hyper focused on skating technique instead of skating results. Yes, there are aspects of a players mechanical technique that can potentially give insight to the type of skater they can mature into, but more often than not, if a guy is getting around the ice really well, it really doesn't matter how it looks.

And beyond just fixating on skating technique, there is a real fascination with the aesthetics of skating, leading to the trend of "beautiful" (yet ineffective) skaters getting overdrafted (though I think that has actually slowed in the last few years).

Somewhat different flaw with Demidov but again it's the same thing where some scouts are looking at technique and not actual movement ability. Demidov isn't very fast but his balance and agility are high end, regardless of any knock knee.
I love Demidov's edges, balance, and control, especially as he slides laterally through traffic. But I would consider his agility to be pretty mediocre at this point. His footwork / footspeed are both relatively poor compared to his other skating attributes, and he can seem "heavy" on the ice. But I think this is more due to his poor posture & mechanics than it is an athletic constraint (meaning it's very fixable) - a few adjustments to help him get his chest up and knees out in front will really help.

I'm quite certain that with a few years of power skating and continued physical development, his overall skating ability will be plenty good enough for him to be able to take advantage of his gifted brain & hands.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Him with Bedard will be truly a unique combo

Agreed, two extremely smart, patient players. I could see them having a Kane/Panarin type of deal going on. Or push him down and spread out the offense, maybe something like:

Bedard - Reichel - Kurashev
Hall - Nazar - Demidov
Foligno - Dickinson - Athanasiou

I hope he will. Nazar and Moore can play wing if Demidov can play and anchor his own line.
I think Demidov is much better suited to the wing, while Nazar and Moore are both much better suited for center. I would play Reichel at C over him as well, despite last season's struggles.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
1000143566.jpg

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Agreed, two extremely smart, patient players. I could see them having a Kane/Panarin type of deal going on. Or push him down and spread out the offense, maybe something like:

Bedard - Reichel - Kurashev
Hall - Nazar - Demidov
Foligno - Dickinson - Athanasiou

I think Demidov is much better suited to the wing, while Nazar and Moore are both much better suited for center. I would play Reichel at C over him as well, despite last season's struggles.
Never seen him play besides clips so I have no idea but the idea that its a possibility is a plus.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Never seen him play besides clips so I have no idea but the idea that its a possibility is a plus.
He would have to get a fair amount faster & stronger to be a top 6 NHL center. His straight line speed is pretty meh, which is pretty hard to overcome for centers under 6'

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He would have to get a fair amount faster & stronger to be a top 6 NHL center. His straight line speed is pretty meh, which is pretty hard to overcome for centers under 6'

Bedard isn't the fastest player either...

I'd say wingers need to be faster than centers because they mostly forecheck and backcheck.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard isn't the fastest player either...
I know, that's one of the reasons they moved him to the wing at the end of the season.
I'd say wingers need to be faster than centers because they mostly forecheck and backcheck.
Centers need to be faster because they have to cover the entire ice and are typically the primary puck carrier on zone exits. There aren't really any legit 1Cs who are slower. But there are plenty of slower top line wings like Tkachuk, Stone, Robertson etc.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's so hard to find a reasonable comp for this player because he is pretty unique. I'm sure I'll get jumped for this, but he reminds me a bit of Alex Galchenyuk from his Sarnia days, though Demidov has better vision and puck skills while not being as fast in a straight line.

Neither guy was the quickest or fastest, but both were excellent on their edges, strong on the puck, deceptive & patient stickhandlers, and had great vision.

I agree with this 100%. Too often I see scouts hyper focused on skating technique instead of skating results. Yes, there are aspects of a players mechanical technique that can potentially give insight to the type of skater they can mature into, but more often than not, if a guy is getting around the ice really well, it really doesn't matter how it looks.

And beyond just fixating on skating technique, there is a real fascination with the aesthetics of skating, leading to the trend of "beautiful" (yet ineffective) skaters getting overdrafted (though I think that has actually slowed in the last few years).

I love Demidov's edges, balance, and control, especially as he slides laterally through traffic. But I would consider his agility to be pretty mediocre at this point. His footwork / footspeed are both relatively poor compared to his other skating attributes, and he can seem "heavy" on the ice. But I think this is more due to his poor posture & mechanics than it is an athletic constraint (meaning it's very fixable) - a few adjustments to help him get his chest up and knees out in front will really help.

I'm quite certain that with a few years of power skating and continued physical development, his overall skating ability will be plenty good enough for him to be able to take advantage of his gifted brain & hands.
Maybe it's semantics, but if the balance, edges, and control are great, wouldn't it follow that his agility is also great? Those are literally the main things involved that lend themselves to agility.

I wonder how Demidov's skating compares to Kaprizov's at the same age. The latter is a great skater, but not particularly fast...more like above average in speed. What makes him a very effective skater are the qualities you listed above. If Demidov can develop along the same lines, he'll be just fine, skating wise.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Maybe it's semantics, but if the balance, edges, and control are great, wouldn't it follow that his agility is also great? Those are literally the main things involved that lend themselves to agility.
I think he lacks pop & quickness in his first few steps. So while he's got great edges and balance, allowing for excellent mobility & control when he's up to speed, he lacks explosiveness when he's starting and stopping.
I wonder how Demidov's skating compares to Kaprizov's at the same age. The latter is a great skater, but not particularly fast...more like above average in speed. What makes him a very effective skater are the qualities you listed above. If Demidov can develop along the same lines, he'll be just fine, skating wise.
Yeah there is nothing about Demidov's skating that will prevent him from developing into a consistent scoring threat, especially since most of his issues could be pretty easily addressed with specific mechanical adjustments.

Reactions: DemiGod

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

From all the footage I've seen of Demidov, his movements and how he attacks in the offensive zone reminds me of Kaprizov. Not incredible speed but edge work and agility to move in tight spaces and create room for himself.

It will be interesting to see how his game translates at the NHL level. As others have said, he will have to make adjustments but he seems to process the game fast enough to do so, similar to Bedard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad