Post-Game Talk: Yeah baby

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Yeah, its pretty much a proven fact (not just in hockey) that travelling one way has a much worse effect on performance than the other.

And the "first game back after a road trip" syndrome is also a real thing. I don't know why, it just is.

Where is this factual information you speak of? It's an excuse to use when they aren't playing well. What's that they say on ESPN, it's that way when we edit it that way. When a team loses the first game after a road trip, it's blamed on the travel. When they play well, it's the home cooking. This isn't the playoffs of the old days with no days in between. The Wings will have almost 3 full days off. If they can't find the motivation to skate hard, it's not about the travel schedule or jet lag.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I'm not saying jet lag is not a real thing, but the "teams coming home from a road trip always play horribly" is somehow scientific fact. If there are statistics to prove it, I'd like to see them. But I don't think it's any thing more than a talking point for analysts. I also don't think that the Wings didn't get shout out on Thursday because Ken Daniels brought it up to break the "jinx".

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I got to check this one out in the flesh with my brother. It was without question the best/worst game I have ever seen from a player. Pav looked absolutely awful for 98% of the game. At one point it looked like he had a half-step on the defender for a loose puck in the corner and just stopped at the hash mark and let Helm go into the corner. He had one shift where he literally took a total of five strides during the shift. You could really tell that something was off physically with him. Yet like all great players, he found a way to get it done in the end.

This was also the most bizarre NHL game I have ever watched. It felt like an ECHL game on steroids. The stadium was 60% full at best. I think 80% of the crowd was pulling for the Wings and went nuts in OT. For half of the game I questioned whether they even sold tickets behind one of the two nets.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Awful for 98 % of the game, yet scoring one and setting up two further goals of his team* - incl. the GWG? Wow, not bad. Don't you think you're exaggerating a little bit here? ;)

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I got to check this one out in the flesh with my brother. It was without question the best/worst game I have ever seen from a player. Pav looked absolutely awful for 98% of the game. At one point it looked like he had a half-step on the defender for a loose puck in the corner and just stopped at the hash mark and let Helm go into the corner. He had one shift where he literally took a total of five strides during the shift. You could really tell that something was off physically with him. Yet like all great players, he found a way to get it done in the end.

This was also the most bizarre NHL game I have ever watched. It felt like an ECHL game on steroids. The stadium was 60% full at best. I think 80% of the crowd was pulling for the Wings and went nuts in OT. For half of the game I questioned whether they even sold tickets behind one of the two nets.

Thanks for the description, that sounded like a strange one to be at.

For me it was best/worst as a team. The game was an emotional rollercoaster, for some reason the most low I've felt and then shocked of the season. Into the 3rd I was embarrassed, ashamed, so down on the Wings. We were getting OWNED by Phoenix in every way possible. I had those depressing thoughts of how decrepit and weak the Wings are...then bam 2 PP goals and win it in OT. I was an idiot for losing respect for the team especially our veterans. It was a dirty road win they endured a beating for 2 1/2 periods then stole 2 points. They say in sports you never want to get too high or too low, may be that's true also for fans. :)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thanks for the description, that sounded like a strange one to be at.

For me it was best/worst as a team. The game was an emotional rollercoaster, for some reason the most low I've felt and then shocked of the season. Into the 3rd I was embarrassed, ashamed, so down on the Wings. We were getting OWNED by Phoenix in every way possible. I had those depressing thoughts of how decrepit and weak the Wings are...then bam 2 PP goals and win it in OT. I was an idiot for losing respect for the team especially our veterans. It was a dirty road win they endured a beating for 2 1/2 periods then stole 2 points. They say in sports you never want to get too high or too low, may be that's true also for fans. :)

Game lasts for 60 minutes. We have learned that lesson many times and now it was Coyotes time to get a lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad