Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Weird how you can't understand the nuance of Dubois having a horrible contract and still being a player that you can utilizie in a successful way.

I guess that's the way it goes when everything is black and white and the Penguins window was immediately close after they lost one series after going back to back cups tho.
"Nuance" :laugh:

Yeah dude, what if we traded an inconsistent and annoying goalie making $5.4M for four more years for a guy in Granlund's territory points-wise making $8.5M a year for seven more years. It's just crazy enough to work! Braindead stuff.

Reactions: Pens x

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As we all know, one year reflects an entire career.
Career averages: PLD (516GP) 23g 31a 54pts - Granlund (819GP) 16g 39a 54pts

PLD was a malcontent that wanted out of two teams circling the drain in the past, he's sure to love being on the Penguins from 2024-25 through the heat death of the universe. :laugh: Hm, dude's 6'4" and 230lbs, plays center, isn't even 26 years old, yet he might be about to join his fourth team in the league. Nah, I'm sure everything's fine and he's worth paying $8.5M AAV to until the heat death of the universe.

It's such a dumb idea that I'm surprised Dubas or Hextall didn't think of it first, so you could spend every thread for the next seven years shitting your pants over how terrible of a move it was. :laugh:

Reactions: Lustaf

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Career averages: PLD (516GP) 23g 31a 54pts - Granlund (819GP) 16g 39a 54pts

PLD was a malcontent that wanted out of two teams circling the drain in the past, he's sure to love being on the Penguins from 2024-25 through the heat death of the universe. :laugh: Hm, dude's 6'4" and 230lbs, plays center, isn't even 26 years old, yet he might be about to join his fourth team in the league. Nah, I'm sure everything's fine and he's worth paying $8.5M AAV to until the heat death of the universe.

It's such a dumb idea that I'm surprised Dubas or Hextall didn't think of it first, so you could spend every thread for the next seven years shitting your pants over how terrible of a move it was. :laugh:

He's not worth paying $8.5 mil for 7 years.

That's why we can take advantage of the situation and get him potentially for nothing while dumping a shitty contract his way.

He asked out of two franchises that are terrible.

Anyways, it'll be funny when Boston moves Ullmark for PLD and suddenly he's a 60+ pt guy just like Zacha who I also wanted us to grab.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He's not worth paying $8.5 mil for 7 years.

That's why we can take advantage of the situation and get him potentially for nothing while dumping a shitty contract his way.

He asked out of two franchises that are terrible.
He asked out of a Winnipeg team that was what this team's been more or less for like half a decade at this point. :laugh:

"He's got a dogshit contract, that's why we should trade an equally frustrating, inconsistent player making way less money for way fewer years for him! We can't bury Jarry, but we can bury the $8.5M AAV loser in a Blueger role that Sullivan's sure to play him in until he demands another trade. Think of the nuance!" :laugh: I'm bored, your idea's f***ing dumb. It's late, g'night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He asked out of a Winnipeg team that was what this team's been more or less for like half a decade at this point. :laugh:

"He's got a dogshit contract, that's why we should trade an equally frustrating, inconsistent player making way less money for way fewer years for him! We can't bury Jarry, but we can bury the $8.5M AAV loser in a Blueger role that Sullivan's sure to play him in until he demands another trade. Think of the nuance!" :laugh: I'm bored, your idea's f***ing dumb. It's late, g'night.

Like I said, when Boston acquires him and he suddenly looks solid. Don't be shocked.

Try watching more than 10 games or whatever.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Weird how you can't understand the nuance of Dubois having a horrible contract and still being a player that you can utilizie in a successful way.
Do you trust Mike Sullivan to utilize him properly?

I think that's the hesitation people have, and even I would have as a long-time Sullivan supporter. Would he put PLD in the right position to where he becomes a consistent producer and isn't pouting?

If not, perhaps it's better to find a mediocre contract that has a better chance of being used correctly.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Went on IR?

Maybe I don't watch him the way others do but I have not been angered much by him. I don't understand the hate against him how he's basically a "Jack Johnson" level. That guy was extremly noticable.
I just am tired of watching 3rd pairing positional guys who greatly struggle to be positional and don't bring anything else to the table. I do not want to watch us try to find the next bargin bin Paul Martin (who I also greatly disliked) or Brian Dumoulin or whoever. I would like us to get more physical.

I also see very little of this so-called "shutdown defender" as Pensburgh calls it (and that's what they call every idiot who can't really play defense but isn't good at offense or physicality, might I add) in him. He's a more expensive Ruhwedel and we all know my feelings there.

Like I said, I really just do not get what people see in him and what Dubas saw in him to warrant the contract.

Reactions: 66-30-33

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Do you trust Mike Sullivan to utilize him properly?

I think that's the hesitation people have, and even I would have as a long-time Sullivan supporter. Would he put PLD in the right position to where he becomes a consistent producer and isn't pouting?

If not, perhaps it's better to find a mediocre contract that has a better chance of being used correctly.
So we should only bring in players Sullivan will utilize properly? That’s a pretty small list given historical evidence.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In the Pens position, where they neither want to re-sign elite forwards who fit like a glove for zero assets nor give up quality futures, and they also have designs on putting together a reliable playoff team for the rest of Crosby's time, calculated risks need to be taken. I'd happily move out Graves for him considering how poorly he adapted this year and projects to adapt beside Karlsson or Letang.

The Pens have a lot of undersized try-hards, and we see where that's gotten them. PLD brings size, snarl, goal scoring, youth, and the positional versatility to play 2C once Malkin ages out. I'd love if he had a consistent pitbull mentality too, but if he did, he wouldn't be available.

You can have different kinds of players on a team. Kessel wasn't exactly Mr.Effort even in his prime here, but he was a key factor in our Cup wins.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So we should only bring in players Sullivan will utilize properly? That’s a pretty small list given historical evidence.
Sullivan can’t even utilize the players he likes properly. :laugh:

In the Pens position, where they neither want to re-sign elite forwards who fit like a glove for zero assets nor give up quality futures, and they also have designs on putting together a reliable playoff team for the rest of Crosby's time, calculated risks need to be taken. I'd happily move out Graves for him considering how poorly he adapted this year and projects to adapt beside Karlsson or Letang.

The Pens have a lot of undersized try-hards, and we see where that's gotten them. PLD brings size, snarl, goal scoring, youth, and the positional versatility to play 2C once Malkin ages out. I'd love if he had a consistent pitbull mentality too, but if he did, he wouldn't be available.

You can have different kinds of players on a team. Kessel wasn't exactly Mr.Effort even in his prime here, but he was a key factor in our Cup wins.
Frankly speaking effort is majorly overrated sometimes

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Kadri over PLD - but I see how PLD could work here.

Neither are the ideal age for our future 2C though. Not sure if there's even one available but we should be hounding all non-playoff teams and first round busts for moves they are considering. Teams needs a complete new overhaul/identity asap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah, I don’t get what is so difficult about this. His contract length means nothing if we get out of Graves.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I don’t get what is so difficult about this. His contract length means nothing if we get out of Graves.
Yup.

The calculation needs to consider how much we think an otherwise immovable Graves is overpaid for what he brings this team (probably by about 3.5 mil considering how much better pairings looked with both POJ and Shea) and how much we would pay for a UFA Dubois, warts and all.

Dubois as a reclamation project at 8.5 mil per doesn't sound great. Dubois as a reclamation project at the "Graves-adjusted" 5 mil per sounds pretty damn good. Smith's cap hit is higher than that.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I admit I came blindly into this discourse pretty staunchly anti-PLD but you make good arguments and may have sold me. It would need to be the right conditions as you mention (Graves out being point 1A with a big bold star) but I think the consideration is valid.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I want zero part of Dubois.

He seems like a lazy, apathetic player with little upside that some desperate team will overpay for, no thanks.

Reactions: Lustaf and Rave7215

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I want zero part of Dubois.

He seems like a lazy, apathetic player with little upside that some desperate team will overpay for, no thanks.
Of all the criticisms that could be leveled at PLD, I don't think "little upside" is one of them. He's big, mean, and averaged 30 goals/60 points per game in the 2 years prior to this one. At ages 24/25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad