Confirmed with Link: Yannick Weber signs with preds

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Actually, Rinne's contract ends in 2018-2019...

EDIT; as for Weber. I'm curious as to where on the depth chart he ends up.

I'd say that will depend on his performance. I'd say he would be given an outright shot at #5/6 to start and depending on how that goes he may become #7.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'd say that will depend on his performance. I'd say he would be given an outright shot at #5/6 to start and depending on how that goes he may become #7.

I see his stats and I question if he's not the 7th dman. I think Granberg should be interesting. He's the youngest dman but had the 5th highest TOI/g Remember, he was recovering form a torn Achilles when he played last yr

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I see his stats and I question if he's not the 7th dman. I think Granberg should be interesting. He's the youngest dman but had the 5th highest TOI/g Remember, he was recovering form a torn Achilles when he played last yr

I don't see why Poile would buyout Jackman if the intentions were to play Granberg with Bitetto to start.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I don't see why Poile would buyout Jackman if the intentions were to play Granberg with Bitetto to start.

To me, this is the biggest indication that he is going with Grandberg. Once Jackman fell to #7 on the depth chart, he became too expensive to keep. You don't pay Jackman $3 million to sit in the pressbox when you can pay a Y. Weber the league minimum to do the same.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
To me, this is the biggest indication that he is going with Grandberg. Once Jackman fell to #7 on the depth chart, he became too expensive to keep. You don't pay Jackman $3 million to sit in the pressbox when you can pay a Y. Weber the league minimum to do the same.

Given the option of Jackman or Granberg I can see that. But now they have someone else who could possibly play there. IDK what to think, I just feel like Weber will have to get outplayed in order for him to be the scratch.

Edit: something interesting. Granberg is not listed on the Preds roster, nor is he listed as "In the System". At first I thought it was because of the arbitration issue, but Jarnkrok is on there.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
Didn't want to start a new thread for this minor question, but I'm just curious if Preds fans think their D is "set" for next season? Is there confidence in Y. Weber/Bitetto/Granberg as the 5/6/7 D, or is there a sense that those guys can't take enough pressure off of the big guns? I see that Weber averaged just under 19:00 TOI in Vancouver and both Granberg and Bitetto averaged under 14:00 TOI, so unless those numbers come up a little that's going to put a lot of mileage on the top 4.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Didn't want to start a new thread for this minor question, but I'm just curious if Preds fans think their D is "set" for next season? Is there confidence in Y. Weber/Bitetto/Granberg as the 5/6/7 D, or is there a sense that those guys can't take enough pressure off of the big guns? I see that Weber averaged just under 19:00 TOI in Vancouver and both Granberg and Bitetto averaged under 14:00 TOI, so unless those numbers come up a little that's going to put a lot of mileage on the top 4.

If Josi and Subban are paired together, they can go 25+ minutes, Ekholm and Ellis 20+ and then that third pair only needs 14 minutes.

Another scenario would be Ekholm/Josi and Subban/Ellis pairings each skating 22-23 minutes. And then the third still only needs around 14.

So the third pair really isn't the question here, it's more a question of can Ekholm and Ellis go from 20 to 22-23?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If Josi and Subban are paired together, they can go 25+ minutes, Ekholm and Ellis 20+ and then that third pair only needs 14 minutes.

Another scenario would be Ekholm/Josi and Subban/Ellis pairings each skating 22-23 minutes. And then the third still only needs around 14.

So the third pair really isn't the question here, it's more a question of can Ekholm and Ellis go from 20 to 22-23?

Something else to consider this year is the season is compressed again thanks to the world (but not really world) cup like it was in Olympic years. I feel like this will play a role in the ice time assignments.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Something else to consider this year is the season is compressed again thanks to the world (but not really world) cup like it was in Olympic years. I feel like this will play a role in the ice time assignments.

That's true, but teams also have a bye week this season, 5 full days off. Ours is Feb.13-17. It's not a long time, but it will help.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Great shot, but waits and waits and waits and waits to use it. Result, he passes up more chances to shoot then he should. Good skater.

Defensively, as a Hab, he was horrible. Maybe it was the scrutiny, maybe youth....but he treated the puck like a grenade. Poor decisions and slow reactions.

Possibly he improved a Canuck, I did not see him as often. That said, they were very thin on D and he never became a go-to player.

As well, physically...he brings nothing to the table. He has no mean streak at all.

I wish him and the Preds all the best, but he will not be a solution for your team.

P.S. I miss Subban already.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Weber has been great as a bottom pairing defenseman, plays a safe game with fewer errors. I'm more nervous when Irwin has the puck tbh (tho he has been fine too). Would definitely be fine with Weber coming back again next year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I remember one game kinda early in the season I posted in a GDT something like "Am I the only one who doesn't think Weber sucks?" and several people were like haha no I don't either.

Point being I think he's played well, like others have said.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lots said about the top 4 and rightly so but Preds have one of the best 5/6 in the league; if not the best. No offense but pretty solid defensively and Irwin has been in top4 frequently and performed well. Preds definately have top D in the league.

I think Irwin's good season owes a lot to playing with Josi -- he does look decidedly different and at times bad when he's on the third pair.

Like someone else said, I think Irwin is our worst regular d-man...but he's still not "bad"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad