Confirmed with Link: Yannick Weber signs with preds

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Here's some irony from the way-back machine.

Remember all of the Weber-Kostitsen-Bourque for Weber-Kostitsen-Bourque trade jokes prior to Nashville trading for Andre? Kostitsen was traded to the Preds, Weber traded to the Habs, and now Weber signed by the Preds...

For another bit of irony, Kostitsen's partner in crime, Radulov just signed with Montreal.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't generally expect bottom pairing defensemen to be special unless they're about to be shipped away for a #1 center.

This is the exact reason I lobbied for a Jones trade he was 2nd pair guy here behind Weber. The concern is having someone that can step up when needed to fill in for the load carriers for a couple games when there day to day. None of the 3 bottom guys are ready to do that. You have to have one, im not saying they step in and play as well as the big 4 just that they can spell them and the barn not burn down.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Thats true there here to keep the damn from bursting to rest the top pairs no doubt. 5/6 guys should also be PK capable Yanic really is not. Sure he will be able to go 6 to 10 minutes with our top 4 thats what is expected. It would help if he could step up in case of injury and I have seen nothing from that indicates that. He has been sitting in the pressbox about 1/3 of the games he was NHL eligable. On two teams that need defense. Hes cheap so its not a big deal. But one injury theres trouble he nor Granberg or Tater are close to being 1st or 2nd pair replacments

The only way to mitigate that kind of scenario is to sign a #5/6 d-man who is really a top 4 d-man. That would obviously cost us significantly more per year (more than Jackman was making), which would just lead to bellyaching about how we hampered our future cap situation overpaying for a #5/6 d-man. I don't see any issues with this signing. If we have a major injury, we're likely scrambling mid-season for a replacement anyway.

I mean, are we really complaining that a guy we sign to be a bottom pairing guy, at essentially the league minimum, isn't more than that? :huh:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Remember all of the Weber-Kostitsen-Bourque for Weber-Kostitsen-Bourque trade jokes prior to Nashville trading for Andre? Kostitsen was traded to the Preds, Weber traded to the Habs, and now Weber signed by the Preds...

For another bit of irony, Kostitsen's partner in crime, Radulov just signed with Montreal.

Thats kinda creepy.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The only way to mitigate that kind of scenario is to sign a #5/6 d-man who is really a top 4 d-man. That would obviously cost us significantly more per year (more than Jackman was making), which would just lead to bellyaching about how we hampered our future cap situation overpaying for a #5/6 d-man. I don't see any issues with this signing. If we have a major injury, we're likely scrambling mid-season for a replacement anyway.

Not really you have two scenarios a guy coming up that is looking for a bigger role. Or ageing guys on the way out that still have a little left in the tank. Poile has always used one of the 3rd pair for a guy going down. Failed with Jackman , Hal Gil and a number of others. The good thing Yanic is on a cheap contract. But if he fails theres nuttin behind him. Its not a big deal we are talking 3rd pair. But if someone gets hurt theres a problem.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Now Bourque needs to sign with the Habs

yoss

May 25, 2011
Nucks fan here, Weber lost a step recently. Good for filling in for injuries in a pinch. Don't give him too many minutes and a good partner and he could be serviceable on bottom pairing, just keep your expectations low.

Has offensive upside, put up some points for us couple years ago, though that dried up last year although our defense was also a train wreck last year in general.

That said, he was 2nd or 3rd worse defensemen in the lineup most nights when he was in the lineup last year, that is.

And for you Preds fans hand wringing about Subban, come back to me next year when you guys are among top 3 teams in the west and then let me know what you think of the trade.

Anyways, good luck Weber, you were better then Bartkowski and think you got bit of a bad rap in Van, and had the one decent season. Hope he does well for you guys in Nashville.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The usual "rule" is 5/6 is a younger player with some promise being protected by a veteran on the way down. The youngster is "normally" someone on an entry level deal and the veteran is low priced 1 or 2 year deal. That's what works budget wise. You got to save the money for the top 4 Ds or in Edmontons case for forwards only. Poile hasn't failed at this, just maybe given some guys too long a deal. Jackman was serviceable protecting Jones who really, really needed protecting, blocking some shots, playing gritty and killing some penalties but obviously ran out of gas before year end. He was running on empty before the trip was over and pretty obviously done. Yanic's job is simple; protect Bitetto and kill off 5/6 minutes. That's all.

I know your right in a perfect world, My issue is that top 4 if any of them are injured for any length of time Weber is not the guy we can depend on to jump up play 4 or 5 games until they return. Jackman last year for better or worse fit that role better. Yanic is what 27 perhaps the staff think they can develop the guy. Either way its not going to break the bank starting the year with him, but I will not be surprised if he is waived at some point. Hes just not really good.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I know your right in a perfect world, My issue is that top 4 if any of them are injured for any length of time Weber is not the guy we can depend on to jump up play 4 or 5 games until they return. Jackman last year for better or worse fit that role better. Yanic is what 27 perhaps the staff think they can develop the guy. Either way its not going to break the bank starting the year with him, but I will not be surprised if he is waived at some point. Hes just not really good.

You might be right but he could work out pretty well for us. I like the game he plays but if much rather not have him with Bitteto, that's just asking for groans and sighs while they are out there. He played well a couple seasons ago, but if I'm not mistaken, he played top 4 minutes on a bad team. Had to get exposed at some point, so I guess what I'm saying is, hopefully the bottom pairing and picking our spots to use him can make him really effective.

End of the day, it's a league minimum signing.

Chicoutimi Cucumber

Jul 1, 2016
Just chipping in to say that I watched Weber in Montreal and I watched him in Van. He's capable of decent moments but invariably plays his way out of the top-6. The poster who remarked that he couldn't crack Vancouver's roster despite their having one of the most atrocious d-corps in the league made a good point. Expect little, except maybe a couple of goals from the point. Basically a #7 d-man.

Apr 28, 2010
A little TMZ for you guys..

Yannick Weber is the husband of Carey Price's sister.

:laugh:

That Montreal-Nashville connection!

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Other than maybe Philly who has boatloads of D coming-

What team has a top 4 where if one goes down they can replace him with top 4 talent off their bottom pair?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I remember him being weak on his skates. But he can score goals at times. I guess he might be a bit more timely than Jackman, if he can survive on the roster that long.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Other than maybe Philly who has boatloads of D coming-

What team has a top 4 where if one goes down they can replace him with top 4 talent off their bottom pair?

I am not way insinuating a bottom pair guy needs to be able to jump in and out of top pairs. You must have one that is able to slide in for a game or two when the flu hits or a nagging day to day injury. If not you have a guy playing with a dislocated kneecap and hurting the team more than he helps.

Therein is the problem we have had for xome time. We have had guys like Ellis, Jones, Ekholm on that third pair able to jump on in. There is no doubt the cupboard is bare the two Poile has signed are little insurance. Heres one thing for sure Granberg Bitetto and Weber are not all going to have a roster spot and normally I would go with the veteran but Weber is really not that good and I can see a scenerio that he could get beat out by both and thats still not a comforting thing. I saw some think might think Bitetto could be ready to step up if needed. Thats a big question I like alot of what he does. At one time I did not think Josi was ready to replace Suter either but he proved me wrong and has become my favorite player. Its a big chance to take especially when Poile looks to finally be going all in.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think for a game or two Bitetto could move up to the 4 spot. I Ionger than that and we might need a trade.

I thought Justin Schultz would be a good signing for the third pair if the price is right. Skates well and has some scoring skills, shouldn't be a regular on the top pair but gas plenty of experience there and can handle the load if needed. If the price is right he would fit the mold of what Lavy/Poile are trying to do as evidenced by the Subban trade.

It would then force Granny to MIL and rotate the 6/7 spot between Weber and Bitetto, mist likely Bitetto because a Schultz-Weber pair would be horrific. It would also ensure that Irwin never sniffs the NHL roster.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Ekholm and Ellis can be split up the way they were last year when Ekholm played with Granberg and Ellis with Bitetto. We really don't know how Subban will be best paired with yet. Might be Josi but could be Ekholm. They'll be some mix and matching before that gets figured out. Bitetto and Granberg turned out to be better then I thought they would when they weren't a pair themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad