Yakopov produces point/game

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not really saying play with stars as much as I'm saying learn from them in practice.

Washington's depth isn't that great. Not sure if Backstrom is still out but after Ovi, Kuz and Oshie it's Eller, Vrana, and Beagle.

I'm more suggesting as well if the guy is ever going to cut it he needs to go somewhere where he can be mentored by someone that is elite at the skill that Yak once had.

Your right, that's exactly what you said. I'm just thinking that if he hasn't learned to do this at this point, a star isn't going to help him. What makes the stars stars is their hockey sense and the way they discern the game around them. Yak is beyond that point of learning at this stage. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago it would have worked, but I think he's pretty much a lost cause at this point. He's had one of the best coaches in Hitchcock at his disposal as well. If the teach can't teach him, a star won't be able to. The stars aren't always able to coach another player. They don't really think the same way IMO.

Keep in mind though Joe, I'm coming from the stand point of a Guitar teacher/Player. So I'm drawing more of an equivalent between the 2 ideas than many people would. Teaching is a hell of a lot different than playing. And some people just can't "get it". That's where Nail is AFAIC. You cannot teach hockey sense.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm not really saying play with stars as much as I'm saying learn from them in practice.

Washington's depth isn't that great. Not sure if Backstrom is still out but after Ovi, Kuz and Oshie it's Eller, Vrana, and Beagle.

I'm more suggesting as well if the guy is ever going to cut it he needs to go somewhere where he can be mentored by someone that is elite at the skill that Yak once had.

I don't think Yak wants to be mentored. He wants to play how he wants to play. Just shoot shoot shoot. Guy does not want to think the game it seems.

If all he did in practice was just practice shooting and not learn the finer details, that falls on him. And when all that shooting practice doesn't amount to anything else, even more so.

I think the only team he'll be playing for next year is his hometown team...if they would still take him.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Nice one-timer goal last night with 0.1s left in the 2nd.

On pace for ~30g, ~40p. Not great but not bad.
Go Yak!

Last edited:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Everyone goes on about our 4 1st overalls, well 2 of them were realistically more like 10th pick quality wise in other stronger drafts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Everyone goes on about our 4 1st overalls, well 2 of them were realistically more like 10th pick quality wise in other stronger drafts.
Yak's year really was a year to trade down to 5ish or so. I remember talking about it, but knew it wasn't a realistic option for a team that was as bad as ours.

Trouba was a guy I really liked in that draft. Even at that time though I thought he'd be 2-3 years away, so it wasn't a realistic option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad