OT: Yahoo Fantasy Hockey/NHL Video Game Thread

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
Anyone know the status of HF Rangers 3 from last year?

Also, if anyone is starting a keeper league I'd be very interested in joining.

Punxrocknyc19*

Is it me or is Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg not in the game???

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Have an open spot in my ESPN league. Anybody want in?

Hoping to draft tomorrow afternoon/Monday evening.

PM if interested.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Still haven't bought the game... is it worth buying

I think it's pretty good. You seem to start the EASHL drop-in games quicker, and I really like the new hitting engine. The only thing that gets annoying is that now, when you absolutely LEVEL a guy, their teammate can start a fight with you in retaliation (they can start a fight if you shoot the puck after a whistle, too).

It just gets annoying, especially if you have a defensive d-man, enforcer, or power forward, that has really high checking, and it seems (at least to me) that I get in way too many fights that I do not want to have, just because I had a big, clean hit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
League dresses 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G every night. My roster:

C: Crosby, Toews, M. Richards, Weiss, Roy
LW: E. Kane, Carter, Eriksson, Michalek, Heatley
RW: Franzen, Pominville, Vrbata, Cole, Burns
D: Kronwall, J. Schultz (Edm), McDonagh, Girardi, Hamhuis, Garrison, Jones
G: Quick, Halak, Elliott

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
League dresses 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G every night. My roster:

C: Crosby, Toews, M. Richards, Weiss, Roy
LW: E. Kane, Carter, Eriksson, Michalek, Heatley
RW: Franzen, Pominville, Vrbata, Cole, Burns
D: Kronwall, J. Schultz (Edm), McDonagh, Girardi, Hamhuis, Garrison, Jones
G: Quick, Halak, Elliott

Your RW and D look a little weak. Are there a lot of defensive stat categories that reward good defensive play like takeaways and blocked shots? Not a bad D if there are, but a little weak on the offensive side.

Your center and left wing depth is excellent.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I think it's pretty good. You seem to start the EASHL drop-in games quicker, and I really like the new hitting engine. The only thing that gets annoying is that now, when you absolutely LEVEL a guy, their teammate can start a fight with you in retaliation (they can start a fight if you shoot the puck after a whistle, too).

It just gets annoying, especially if you have a defensive d-man, enforcer, or power forward, that has really high checking, and it seems (at least to me) that I get in way too many fights that I do not want to have, just because I had a big, clean hit.

The thing about this is you have to realize that you can't just recklessly charge into dudes anymore like you COULD in NHL13. You have to glide before you hit guys or take at most 3 strides. If you charge the guy violently then your going to have to fight. I think it's a cool feature that punishes the people that don't THINK before they hit. That's just me, though.

Oh and Jesper Fast and Lindberg aren't in the game because they haven't played an NHL/AHL game yet and are coming from over-seas leagues (I think that's how it works.) Therefore EA can't put them in, legally. If they HAVE played AHL games then I'm not sure what the deal is.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
The thing about this is you have to realize that you can't just recklessly charge into dudes anymore like you COULD in NHL13. You have to glide before you hit guys or take at most 3 strides. If you charge the guy violently then your going to have to fight. I think it's a cool feature that punishes the people that don't THINK before they hit. That's just me, though.

Oh and Jesper Fast and Lindberg aren't in the game because they haven't played an NHL/AHL game yet and are coming from over-seas leagues (I think that's how it works.) Therefore EA can't put them in, legally. If they HAVE played AHL games then I'm not sure what the deal is.

IMHO, my hits are not reckless. It's always open ice neutral zone when the puck carrier is coming towards me (and I seem to time it well), when they're trying to do a move into the slot with the puck, or when they are coming down the boards. Once you get your hitting to around 80, it's not that hard to time it, but my agility/str are also quite high.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Your RW and D look a little weak. Are there a lot of defensive stat categories that reward good defensive play like takeaways and blocked shots? Not a bad D if there are, but a little weak on the offensive side.

Your center and left wing depth is excellent.

Blocked shots and hits are both categories. Part of the reason I picked Hamhuis was that he plays for Tortorella now. As for RW depth, the hits will help with Franzen. Brent Burns might turn out to be a very solid pickup.

Also, keep in mind that there are 10 teams in this league. When you get 250 players in, every team is going to have a weakness somewhere.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

They had them in last year (in nhl 13) in the SHL, so they must've taken them OUT of the game.

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

Fast and Lindberg were in the game in NHL 13 and Danny Kristo played 8 games with Hamilton towards the end of last year before the trade and he is also not in NHL 14 as well...

KreiMeARiver*

I had to auto pick last night cuz I had to go to a work thing. UGH

KreiMeARiver*

You and almost everyone else. Myself and iamitter were there from the start. MetalGods showed up later.

Yeah sucks but I don't hate the team it gave me. Plus I kinda like the challenge of trying to improve it.

I mean, I have Cindy and the reigning Vezina winner, so that's a pretty decent start.

Somehow I just won my baseball league, also. I'm a huge nerd with no life.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The past, pretty much 7 years of my fantasy hockey acumen has been in a very (and I mean VERY) deep keeper league run on ESPN.

I'm about to draft a standard h2h public league team on Yahoo! for the first time in a very long time.

I have the fourth overall pick.

**** it, taking Hank :nod:

Ah, that's annoying that since we drafted today, we're not going to get in on time for tonight's games. Lame!

Oh God! We don't even get to play the whole week now!? That's ridiculous.

C: Stepan, Galchenyuk
LW: Semin, Heatley
RW: Perry, Gaborik
D: Franson, Wiercioch, Seth Jones, Mark Fraser
G: Hank, Jimmy Howard
Bench: Ryan Miller, Nazem Kadri, Stephen Weiss, Michael Cammalleri

My D is hilariously awful, but I'm notorious for neglecting defense in fantasy hockey. This is a team that is capable of ****ing exploding offensively though, and should rarely lose goalie matchups. Should be a fun ride with them for the year :laugh:

Last edited:

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The past, pretty much 7 years of my fantasy hockey acumen has been in a very (and I mean VERY) deep keeper league run on ESPN.

I'm about to draft a standard h2h public league team on Yahoo! for the first time in a very long time.

I have the fourth overall pick.

**** it, taking Hank :nod:

Ah, that's annoying that since we drafted today, we're not going to get in on time for tonight's games. Lame!

C: Stepan, Galchenyuk
LW: Semin, Heatley
RW: Perry, Gaborik
D: Franson, Wiercioch, Seth Jones, Mark Fraser
G: Hank, Jimmy Howard
Bench: Ryan Miller, Nazem Kadri, Stephen Weiss, Michael Cammalleri

My D is hilariously awful, but I'm notorious for neglecting defense in fantasy hockey. This is a team that is capable of ****ing exploding offensively though. Should be a fun ride with them for the year :laugh:

wow that D really is awful lol i'm currently drafting a team as we speak. drafted one the other night, as well.

C: Toews, Stepan
LW: Parise, Ladd
RW: Hossa, Franzen
D: Suter, Campbell, Visnovsky, McDonagh
G: Hank, Lu
Bench: Henrique, J. Faulk, Niederreiter, Perron

like to think i did fairly well. update with the 2nd one in a bit

Swedish Fish

CONQUERED
Nov 23, 2010
New York
C: Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin
LW: Bobby Ryan Milan Lucic
RW: Jarome Iginla, Jake Voracek
D: Erik Karlsson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson , Kimmo Timonen, Dam Hamuis
G:Corey Crawford, Semyon Varlamov
BN: Mike Richards, Radim Vrbata, Chris Stewart, David Perron

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Giroux
Seguin

Hall
Lucic

Gaborik
Dupuis

Weber
Doughty
Burns
Letang

Bench
Hamhuis
J. Staal
M. Koivu
Ryder

G
Dubnyk
Nabokov

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Just finished a deeper league (16 players and 30 rounds).

Chad Johnson and Brian Boyle got drafted. Most wtf draft I've ever had.

Swedish Fish

CONQUERED
Nov 23, 2010
New York
2nd team

C: Jonathan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf
LW: Jamie Benn, Milan Lucic
RW: Marian Hossa, Blake Wheeler
D: Keith Yandle, Mike Green, Brent Seabrook, Francois Beauchemin
G:Tukka Rask, Semyon Varlamov, Tim Thomas
BN: Patrice Bergeron, Jiri Tlusty, Jordan Staal

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
i can see nobody thought to draft Jacob Trouba. don't worry, neither did i, but he's a viable fill in, if you need another defenseman.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
2nd team

C: Jonathan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf
LW: Jamie Benn, Milan Lucic
RW: Marian Hossa, Blake Wheeler
D: Keith Yandle, Mike Green, Brent Seabrook, Francois Beauchemin
G:Tukka Rask, Semyon Varlamov, Tim Thomas
BN: Patrice Bergeron, Jiri Tlusty, Jordan Staal

My opponent for the week has Beauchemin, has scored -1.5 points so far. :D

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Looking for players for a last minute draft tonight!

Hey, PM me for a spot in a Yahoo draft tonight at 9EST.

Format is 4 lines, 3 pairs, 2 goalies. Hoping to get 4 more players!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad