OT: Yahoo Fantasy Hockey/NHL Video Game Thread

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Someone offered me Nabokov for Perry, countered with Bobby Ryan for Evgeni Nabokov, good trade?

Nah. Nabokov's numbers are likely to be mediocre at best. With the goalies you have, you're going to need a work horse who can balance out the lousy stats the other guys are likely to produce. At the very least, I'd try and trade for Jonathan Bernier so you can have the Reimer/Bernier tandem and at least guarantee you'll have a starter in that pair for each Leafs game. Best case, Mason or Holtby rebound and become a coup for you, and Reimer/Bernier pair up with good numbers.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Nah. Nabokov's numbers are likely to be mediocre at best. With the goalies you have, you're going to need a work horse who can balance out the lousy stats the other guys are likely to produce. At the very least, I'd try and trade for Jonathan Bernier so you can have the Reimer/Bernier tandem and at least guarantee you'll have a starter in that pair for each Leafs game. Best case, Mason or Holtby rebound and become a coup for you, and Reimer/Bernier pair up with good numbers.

I actually attempted to trade Reimer to the a guy that had Bernier. I tried to get Dubnyk, but said that he didn't want to trade a sure thing for a maybe. Thinks Bernier will likely be the starter for the Leafs as he has the bigger contract.

I'll try to pry Bernier from him.

Edit: Offered him Huberdeau for Bernier. He already has MAF, Cam Ward, and Dubnyk. Hopefully he bites.

Last edited:

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
So I'm doing fantasy hockey for the first time with 9 other buddies. We had our draft last night and I got stuck with the 9th overall pick.

I've never played a fantasy sport before and I'm not sure how closely this is going to resemble real hockey... If someone with more experience could give me some feedback on my roster that'd be cool.

30k9eyv.png

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
So I'm doing fantasy hockey for the first time with 9 other buddies. We had our draft last night and I got stuck with the 9th overall pick.

I've never played a fantasy sport before and I'm not sure how closely this is going to resemble real hockey... If someone with more experience could give me some feedback on my roster that'd be cool.

30k9eyv.png

You have a great roster. Make sure you rotate players daily to ensure you never dress guys who aren't playing and otherwise, look to mix in some of your more physical guys sometimes, especially if any of your scorers seem cold in real life, because your team might be lacking in the physical department (if your league scores PIMs and hits). Otherwise your roster is really quite excellent.

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
You have a great roster. Make sure you rotate players daily to ensure you never dress guys who aren't playing and otherwise, look to mix in some of your more physical guys sometimes, especially if any of your scorers seem cold in real life, because your team might be lacking in the physical department (if your league scores PIMs and hits). Otherwise your roster is really quite excellent.

Awesome, thanks. A lot of the other people in my league were going for established guys but I went with youth on the upswing over vets in a lot of cases. I still think picking low is going to hurt me since I missed out on Sid, Geno, Stammer, etc. but I was hoping I drafted smart enough to pull through.

We aren't doing PIM's but thanks for the idea... I will absolutely do hits>production during downtime, especially with my streaky scorers like Gabs.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Awesome, thanks. A lot of the other people in my league were going for established guys but I went with youth on the upswing over vets in a lot of cases. I still think picking low is going to hurt me since I missed out on Sid, Geno, Stammer, etc. but I was hoping I drafted smart enough to pull through.

We aren't doing PIM's but thanks for the idea... I will absolutely do hits>production during downtime, especially with my streaky scorers like Gabs.

You sure your league is keeping track of hits? Looking at that screenshot, they don't have hits listed there.

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
You sure your league is keeping track of hits? Looking at that screenshot, they don't have hits listed there.

Oh, I thought he said he was, but maybe he changed his mind or something. I traded Grabner for Callahan the other day thinking it would help me out there.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Oh, I thought he said he was, but maybe he changed his mind or something. I traded Grabner for Callahan the other day thinking it would help me out there.

I'm not currently in an ESPN hockey league, but I think if you go to League > Settings, it should say all the stats the league counts.

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
I'm not currently in an ESPN hockey league, but I think if you go to League > Settings, it should say all the stats the league counts.

Oh cool, thanks. Yep- looks like hits are in. Not sure why it wasn't showing as a category in the screen grab.

Scoring

Skating
Goals (G) Assists (A)
Plus/minus (+/-) Points (PTS)
Shots on goal (SOG) Hits (HIT)

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
14 is more than fine assuming you're doing the standard 2 of C/LW/RW/G and 4 D.

Personally I like 14+ team leagues better anyways as it gives you the opportunity to take chances on sleepers and guys that could really break out, rather than like in a 10 team league having all stars and whoever is picked off of waivers.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Name for my fantasy team this year

cryf.jpg
:laugh: :handclap:

I was playing NHL 14 during my live draft yesterday (#8 of 10) and here's my lineup (how did I do?).

Kane (my first pick at #8)
Toews

Ryan
Ladd (bad idea?)
Seguin (bad idea?)
Hossa

Subban (my 2nd pick #11 I think...and only other number I remember other than my first pick Kane)
Keith (probably should have taken Chara? He was still available)
Doughty
Gonchar

Skinner

Lecavalier
Heatley
Simmons

Luongo
Miller
Reimer

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Just had our draft, pretty happy about my team.

Where did Burns go in your leagues? I was stoked to get him in the 5th round as he will produce as a 1st line winger, but I can start him as a defenceman.

My team (6 man league):

Hall
Kessel
Karlsson
Byfuglien
Burns
Nash
Kunitz
Seguin
Semin
Voracek
Pietrangelo