GDT: WSHCAR

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah. It’s called TvR.

I think it's Edmundson's lack of skating (and he makes a lot of poor reads also). He's fine with Pesce because 1) Pesce can skate 2) Pesce is good defensively and 3) Pesce is more defensive minded and isn't overly aggressive in his play offensively. When Edmundson makes a poor read or gets in a position where he can't skate well enough to catch up, Pesce has his back.

TVR isn't as good at any of those things and likes to play a bit more aggressively than Pesce when it comes to pinches and jumping in the play (well, maybe not more aggressively, but isn't as good picking his spots). That leaves Edmundson as the guy having TVR's back many times, and he can't skate well enough to do it. Fleury is more mobile and more conservative defensively and that helps cover up. Granted, limited sample size since Fleury doesn't get to play much.

It's a main reason why I don't want the Canes to bring Edmundson back if he costs much. We went from Faulk to Edmundson, which is a clear degrade in skating. We went from CDH to Gardiner, and I "thought" that would be an improvement in skating, but Gardiner doesn't yet look the same as he did pre-injury so that's a degrade as well. TVR is also coming off shoulder surgery which impacted his off season training and he was probably the worst skater of the group to begin with (last year).

Overall, our defense became less mobile, and it shows when we play teams with fast forwards. I get that some like Edmundson's size and physical play and he's exceeded my expectations so far this year, but I don't want to pony up much for him as a UFA because of his skating.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
cut.jpg

In the Room: Brind'Amour Postgame
Holy shit, check out how much bigger Staal's thighs are as compared to Wallmark's and Aho's.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think it's Edmundson's lack of skating (and he makes a lot of poor reads also). He's fine with Pesce because 1) Pesce can skate 2) Pesce is good defensively and 3) Pesce is more defensive minded and isn't overly aggressive in his play offensively. When Edmundson makes a poor read or gets in a position where he can't skate well enough to catch up, Pesce has his back.

TVR isn't as good at any of those things and likes to play a bit more aggressively than Pesce when it comes to pinches and jumping in the play (well, maybe not more aggressively, but isn't as good picking his spots). That leaves Edmundson as the guy having TVR's back many times, and he can't skate well enough to do it. Fleury is more mobile and more conservative defensively and that helps cover up. Granted, limited sample size since Fleury doesn't get to play much.

It's a main reason why I don't want the Canes to bring Edmundson back if he costs much. We went from Faulk to Edmundson, which is a clear degrade in skating. We went from CDH to Gardiner, and I "thought" that would be an improvement in skating, but Gardiner doesn't yet look the same as he did pre-injury so that's a degrade as well. TVR is also coming off shoulder surgery which impacted his off season training and he was probably the worst skater of the group to begin with (last year).

Overall, our defense became less mobile, and it shows when we play teams with fast forwards. I get that some like Edmundson's size and physical play and he's exceeded my expectations so far this year, but I don't want to pony up much for him as a UFA because of his skating.

Again, I would not be shocked whatsoever if the Borg sells high on Eddy like they did with Faulk. Him having a career year and him being physical means that he will have tons of suitors this off-season. Someone will want to get him locked up early, I'm pretty sure, just like how the Caps and Wings organized the Nick Jensen trade. To me, I'd look at the Panthers (I'm high on Vladislav Kolyachonok), the Devils (Miles Wood), and the Jets (I'm high on Declan Chisholm).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Foegele now up to a ~40 point pace. 8 of the Top 9 are on track, as of December 29th, of hitting that mark. Staal is the lone holdout. Wallmark is close.

#depth

Foegele, at his best, is an good 3rd liner to elite 4th liner who does not look out of place when over-slotted in the top 6. He doesn't have great hands but he can skate at the same speed as the best players on your team. His play this year, along with Wallmark's, is a major reason why the Borg may actually decide to keep our picks and prospects instead of trading them.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Foegele, at his best, is an good 3rd liner to elite 4th liner who does not look out of place when over-slotted in the top 6. He doesn't have great hands but he can skate at the same speed as the best players on your team. His play this year, along with Wallmark's, is a major reason why the Borg may actually decide to keep our picks and prospects instead of trading them.

TO BE HONEST OUR TOP 3 LINES FEEL EQUAL AT TIMES. NOT IN THEIR PURPOSE, BUT IN THEIR VALUE.

FOEGELE MIGHT BE JUST A HOUND, WHOSE PURPOSE OUT THERE IS ONLY TO CHASE HIS QUARRY LIKE AN ABSOLUTE MADMAN, BUT HE'S A PASSIONATE HOUND, LOYAL ONE. HE'S AN ELITE SPECIMEN OF A HOUND. AND FOR THAT I LOVE HIM.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Foegele's production is exciting as he doesn't get any PP time; it's all EV and SH. I'll take that type of 5v5 production (16) from a power forward (not in the classic sense) as a 3rd wheel in the Top 6 all day long.

I would be in favor of the FO being aggressive with him in terms of a contract extension. A bridge is the less risky option, but there's a potential opportunity for a long-term value play paying more early to get a discount later. I'm more bullish on him and his fit in the lineup moving forward than most, mind you.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Again, I would not be shocked whatsoever if the Borg sells high on Eddy like they did with Faulk. Him having a career year and him being physical means that he will have tons of suitors this off-season. Someone will want to get him locked up early, I'm pretty sure, just like how the Caps and Wings organized the Nick Jensen trade. To me, I'd look at the Panthers (I'm high on Vladislav Kolyachonok), the Devils (Miles Wood), and the Jets (I'm high on Declan Chisholm).
It would be highly unusual for a playoff-bound team to trade away a member of their top-4.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Foegele's production is exciting as he doesn't get any PP time; it's all EV and SH. I'll take that type of 5v5 production (16) from a power forward (not in the classic sense) as a 3rd wheel in the Top 6 all day long.

I would be in favor of the FO being aggressive with him in terms of a contract extension. A bridge is the less risky option, but there's a potential opportunity for a long-term value play paying more early to get a discount later. I'm more bullish on him and his fit in the lineup moving forward than most, mind you.

Yeah, he's in his 2nd NHL season and on pace for 17G, 40P with no PP time and is 23 years old so saying he's a good 3rd liner "at his best" is a bit underselling him IMO.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah, he's in his 2nd NHL season and on pace for 17G, 40P with no PP time and is 23 years old so saying he's a good 3rd liner "at his best" is a bit underselling him IMO.

I have a habit of intentionally under-projecting players, as I truly believe that we have an elite squad this year and could very well be a Cup contender. When fans project their guys too highly, you get rosters where Vitali Kravtsov is a 2nd line RW instead of a KHL runaway.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I have a habit of intentionally under-projecting players, as I truly believe that we have an elite squad this year and could very well be a Cup contender. When fans project their guys too highly, you get rosters where Vitali Kravtsov is a 2nd line RW instead of a KHL runaway.

Under-projecting? Weren't you the one that said Carrick is an NHL defenseman, just needed a chance? And that the Checkers were going to be one of the top teams in the AHL this year because of all the "talent" they had that would pick up for the guys that left? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else (since names change all the time).

Seriously though, there's a big difference between talking about a guy (Foegele) that you've seen play ~120 NHL games and Kravtsov, who played zero. Maybe Foegele never improves on where he is today, and that's a fair way to look at it and if our team is deep enough that we get to use Foegele as a 3rd/4th liner, I'm fine with that.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Under-projecting? Weren't you the one that said Carrick is an NHL defenseman, just needed a chance? And that the Checkers were going to be one of the top teams in the AHL this year because of all the "talent" they had that would pick up for the guys that left? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else (since names change all the time).

Seriously though, there's a big difference between talking about a guy (Foegele) that you've seen play ~120 NHL games and Kravtsov, who played zero. Maybe Foegele never improves on where he is today, and that's a fair way to look at it and if our team is deep enough that we get to use Foegele as a 3rd/4th liner, I'm fine with that.

My own team is different from other teams. It's called humility LMAO. I really only follow the Canes, and Charlotte more casually. Both of those projections, BTW, still could come true. Charlotte's starting to rebound from where they were as the players are beginning to mesh. Also, the Sharks are a dumpster fire RN, so Carrick may get another shot.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My own team is different from other teams. It's called humility LMAO. I really only follow the Canes, and Charlotte more casually. Both of those projections, BTW, still could come true. Charlotte's starting to rebound from where they were as the players are beginning to mesh. Also, the Sharks are a dumpster fire RN, so Carrick may get another shot.

Getting a shot on a dumpster fire doesn't mean a guy is a legit NHLr though. We, of all fan bases should know that after having to play the likes of Sanguinetti, Bellemore, Ryan Murphy, etc....

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Thing I will say about Foegele, is that he seems to be kind of Jekel and Hyde. When he is on (at his best), he looks like a legit wrecking ball top 6 power forward. When he isn't on, he looks like a bigger, faster, less skilled version of Brock McGinn.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Don't you dare disrespect those Canes LEGENDS! Where would our franchise be without Sangs' buttery slick offensive tools? :sarcasm:

Scary that there were games where all of Sanguinetti, McBain, Harrison, and MAB played for Carolina. I recall that being the case since Pitkanen was out with his career ending injury, Faulk and Gleason missed a few games and Corvo was our #1 IIRC.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think the thing with Foegele this year and some of last year is that he’s just a good fit for RBA. I don’t think he’ll amount to more of a 40pt middle six type agitator, if he even hits that projection consistently, but thing is, he’s out own and RBA’s own little jerk. I think there was a quote from some one either RBA or Dundon, prior to the beginning of the 18-19 season where they were like-“with the camp this guy had, that’s exactly what we’re looking for out of the prototypical Cane...”

I think he’s become the team’s glue guy more than anything else. I see him comparable to a guy like Hyman in TOR. He’s certainly not the most skilled guy on that team, but he plays top 6 minutes because he’s willing to do the heavy lifting other guys may not be doing.

If Foegele ends up a consistent 40pt guy, I’ll be elated.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Scary that there were games where all of Sanguinetti, McBain, Harrison, and MAB played for Carolina. I recall that being the case since Pitkanen was out with his career ending injury, Faulk and Gleason missed a few games and Corvo was our #1 IIRC.

Damn, that D-core was simply before its time. With that much "puck moving" and "mobility" across the pairings, all that you needed to make that D-core any better would've been some A_ny _Elmore (who tragically was never to be a Canes Legend)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Foegele is something between Erik Cole and Chad LaRose. As such, there is a zero percent chance that he's going anywhere.

this. he's the king of the garbage goal because of his speed and willingness to drive the net. martinook and foegele just sweep pucks to the front of the net trusting the other will be there to get a greasy one. he also misses on an inordinate amount of empty nets, which brings the larose vibe.

fleury played a hell of a game last night. somebody got in his ear and told him his ticket to ride would be his willingness to mix it up. his brother cale is considerably more active physically and they can't get him out of the lineup for the habs consistently and he's considerably more unpolished than haydn.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00