Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] G Darcy Kuemper signs with the Capitals (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kuemper can be solid and 1 year with the AVs was mixed. Poor start, strong middle and average end. Playoffs were below average and could be lingering eye issues. Overall play has been regressing, but should remain a reasonably solid player for the next 2-3 seasons. Better between the 2 UFA goalies.

Campbell is above average goalie with some flashes of good games. He's better than the Oiler options and should stabilize the position. He can be inconsistent and likely have a huge decline in he later years.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
If Avs fans think Kuemper is below average they must think Grubauer is a dumpster fire since he couldn’t get past the 2nd round during his prime years

Well, he definitely was during this past regular season. Worst statistical starting goalie.

In my opinion, Grubauer played better than Kuemper in the playoffs, but the Avs were a much better team overall in comparison this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reparlana

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If Avs fans think Kuemper is below average they must think Grubauer is a dumpster fire since he couldn’t get past the 2nd round during his prime years
yup. Go watch Holdens goal against grub in 20/21 playoffs it’s back breaking and that was a metaphor for his time as an Av

Some takes on Kuemper from fellow Avs fans in this thread is completely wrong. He had a bad playoffs but he was really good at tracking the puck and positioning all season. I saw him as Grubauer (whom Caps are familiar with) but with a better/less bad glove side.

Avs playstyle favor athletic goalies more (such as Francouz and Georgiev). I am sure Kuemper will do great for the Capitals.
You are correct that the Avs style does favour athletic goalies rather than big positioning/shot blocking types.

Reactions: Rosy Cheeks

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Some takes on Kuemper from fellow Avs fans in this thread is completely wrong. He had a bad playoffs but he was really good at tracking the puck and positioning all season. I saw him as Grubauer (whom Caps are familiar with) but with a better/less bad glove side.

Avs playstyle favor athletic goalies more (such as Francouz and Georgiev). I am sure Kuemper will do great for the Capitals.
Kuemper's play for most of last year is a huge upgrade for the Capitals. The question is about the term. The Avs paid frankie 2MM for only 2 years; who is the same age. They weren't going to go higher term than that even if Kuemper is better.

Reactions: Rosy Cheeks

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Both kuemper and campbell contracts going to be pretty gross sooner than later.
No, gross is bobrovsky, price & murray. Kuemper @ 5.25 million for 5 years is nothing. He's like the 15th highest paid goaltender. He'll perform in the top 15 statistically. It's a fair price. If he ages poorly and is trash in the last year or two he can ltiretire.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad