Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] G Darcy Kuemper signs with the Capitals (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm surprised a proven starter only got 250K more than Campbell despite playing over double the games and consistently putting up much better numbers.

Maybe teams were wary because of his eye injury?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
As a Caps fan, I hate this deal. I just don't think Kuemper is very good although admittedly I base that on limited viewing.

Hope I'm wrong.

Looking at his stats over the past 4 seasons - .920% ish, - maybe he's better than what I've seen.

Reactions: HanTykje

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
The Caps actually had a pretty good defense last year. If the goalies had league average play they'd have won like 8-10 more games and probably beaten the Panthers.
I just don't even know how to reply to this.....
"The Caps actually had a pretty good defense last year"
I could not disagree more

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
As a Caps fan, I hate this deal. I just don't think Kuemper is very good although admittedly I base that on limited viewing.

Hope I'm wrong.

Looking at his stats over the past 4 seasons - .920% ish, - maybe he's better than what I've seen.

As a Caps fan - I like this deal, he's a lot better than you give him credit for. He was the best goalie on the market, and the Caps got him signed to a good deal.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is way too risky. Kuemper was terrible in the playoffs. And will his eye recover? If not, that's 26mil down the drain.

I would not give Kuemper more than 1 year. Can't afford to give more before knowing how his eye is.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This is way too risky. Kuemper was terrible in the playoffs. And will his eye recover? If not, that's 26mil down the drain.

I would not give Kuemper more than 1 year. Can't afford to give more before knowing how his eye is.
His eye is gonna be fine long term. If it was that serious, the Avs wouldn't have played him.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

jrix9W6h.jpg

Honestly, Smithers, I don't know why Harvard even bothers to show up. They barely even won.

Reactions: um

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Kuemper has the best GAA and SV% of any goaltender in the league with 70 or more wins since 2018-2019 and a good portion of that was with Arizona. He is easily the best goalie the Caps have had since prime Holtby.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The term for Kuemper might be a year or two, much but he is signed at a very reasonable cap hit of 5.25mil for a cup winning goalie.

Vanecek’s cap hit with the Devils is 3.4mil and Samsonov’s cap hit is 1.8mil with Toronto bringing both cap hits to a combined 5.2mil.

Vanecek and Samsonov were not winning with the Capitals so MacLellan had to make a move and bring in a goalie that can help Washington win and what better goalie then one that has just won a Stanley Cup in Darcy Kuemper at dam near the same cap hit they would have been paying Vanecek and Samsonov.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That's a deal I'm glad the Avs weren't willing to make. I wish Darcy all the best in Washington, though.
You cannot consciously think that Georgiev at $3.4 is anywhere near as good as Kuemper at $5.3 (even considering age and the $$ difference). Goaltending will be a question-mark again for the AVs and an honest review suggests it’s a clear weakness again.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'm surprised a proven starter only got 250K more than Campbell despite playing over double the games and consistently putting up much better numbers.

Maybe teams were wary because of his eye injury?
Hes also 2 years older and long injury history(not that campbells that much better in that regard).

Also hes not been as proven a starter as you think. Hes only had 2 seasons with over 28 starts

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
You cannot consciously think that Georgiev at $3.4 is anywhere near as good as Kuemper at $5.3 (even considering age and the $$ difference). Goaltending will be a question-mark again for the AVs and an honest review suggests it’s a clear weakness again.
It was a question mark with Darcy last year. We win the cup despite getting crappy goal tending in the finals with him.

We have the best defense in the league.

They will elevate Georgiev like they did with Grubauer who fell on his face after taking the $$$

Reactions: Chiarelli

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It was a question mark with Darcy last year. We win the cup despite getting crappy goal tending in the finals with him.

We have the best defense in the league.

They will elevate Georgiev like they did with Grubauer who fell on his face after taking the $$$
Whether your right or not about georgiev or kuemper I think grubby gets a little bit of a pass playing for an expansion team. Vasi would have struggled on that team per his standards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad