Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] D Rasmus Sandin extension with the Capitals (5 years, $4.6M AAV)

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Seems like the kind of deal that is a tad rich now but with continued player development and salary cap inflation could be a steal in years 2/3-5.

IIRC he had a hot start offensively last year with Carlson out and top PP minutes available. Irregardless, his defensive development this season has been promising which was what prevented him from getting more minutes in Toronto.
I know you’re a mod and all, but with all due respect, please don’t use the non-word irregardless. Lol

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Good for him, I didn't and still don't see him as top 4 on a Stanley cup contending team, but I dont think that will be a worry for Washington for the next few years.

Short term they chose Brodie, Sandin would have been better long term, I just think the leafs didnt see him as a long term solution, and preferred the first, same will probably happen to Lily this offseason and he will sign for 4+ after next season elsewhere.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't like Sandin over any of our smallish d-men (Rielly, Liljegren, Brodie) and we needed some beef so McCabe is a much better option on 2nd pair LD. I would not take him back, especially at that price to be a bottom pair D. I don't even think I would take Sandin over Benoit for bottom pair LD tbh.

Reactions: Ciao

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I don't like Sandin over any of our smallish d-men (Rielly, Liljegren, Brodie) and we needed some beef so McCabe is a much better option on 2nd pair LD. I would not take him back, especially at that price to be a bottom pair D. I don't even think I would take Sandin over Benoit for bottom pair LD tbh.

Toronto needed more size in the backend and that are more defensively oriented. Sandin was the opposite and therefore just not a good fit.

Glad to see him do well in Washington and get a good opportunity to develop.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You are allowed to have good players on your third pairing.

Instead the Leafs played Giordano for sub 10 minutes in playoff games last year.

It reminds me of when the Caps shipped out Siegenthaler so Chara could get more ice time. Just extremely short sighted.
Sandin had asked for a trade/had a holdout in the summer b/c he wasnt happy with his role

Keeping him on the third pairing playing 16 mins a night wasnt helping the team and hurtimg his value + relation with team

Caps are in transitionary period where they can afford to give him more minutes and opportunities while living with his defensive flaws in hopes his offense blossoms further

Leafs could not do that and wanted a good asset for Sandin who was a depreciating asset while on the leafs

Its not a bad deal for either team. Leafs got what they wanted, Sandin got the role he wanted and now got paid, and Caps got a under 25 LHD with upside who is able to play 20+ mins for them

Reactions: Neil Racki

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Could never have got this with the Leafs. This is why any young player in Toronto's organization should pray to be able to leave....they simply cannot get paid at anything approaching market value while the Core 5 plus annual UFA tinkering eats up the $$$. All you can hope for as a Leaf RFA is to be squeezed into their payroll, begrudgingly.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
At the time, the trade seemed like the classic "win-win" for both teams. A year later, it still seems like it's worked out really well for all involved! TOR drafted a quality player with the pick, and the Caps have found an adequate/average 2LD who--though not likely to ever become a gamebreaker--still has upside, and signed him to a reasonable 2LD contract.

Everyone wins! Everyone's happy!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sandin had asked for a trade/had a holdout in the summer b/c he wasnt happy with his role

Keeping him on the third pairing playing 16 mins a night wasnt helping the team and hurtimg his value + relation with team

Caps are in transitionary period where they can afford to give him more minutes and opportunities while living with his defensive flaws in hopes his offense blossoms further

Leafs could not do that and wanted a good asset for Sandin who was a depreciating asset while on the leafs

Its not a bad deal for either team. Leafs got what they wanted, Sandin got the role he wanted and now got paid, and Caps got a under 25 LHD with upside who is able to play 20+ mins for them
I was not aware of that.

Seems like a win-win then.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I can't even remember what the trade was ( Toronto sent 2018 first-round pick Rasmus Sandin to the Capitals in exchange for veteran defenseman Erik Gustafsson and the Boston Bruins’ 2023 first-round pick.)

Glad he's doing well. Some people want to see their traded draft picks bust when they're moved, I'm not like that.

Was it a bad trade for the Leafs? Well, pretty sure that Boston pick is now Easton Cowen...........so time will tell.

Good trade from the Caps end though. Congrats!
Its weird.

Hockey fans have to win every argument.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good on Rasmus. Seems like a good dude, hopefully has a thriving career moving forward.

Caphits probably a tad high given what he's done so far, but hard to realign some of these deals with the rising cap,.throws off contract comparables a bit ect

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Its weird.

Hockey fans have to win every argument.
It's not just hockey fans.

It's just life. People want to pile on and pretend that hindsight doesn't exist.

So easy to look back at something and say "well that didn't turn out well"

And yet in many cases, such as this one, I don't think anything bad happened for either team.

Seriously congrats to Caps fans and really hope Sandin excedes expectations. Seems like a good deal to me even if he doesn't.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Feels like a win-win trade for me.

I don't mind losing that late 1st rounder for a young NHL'er. Sandin's path was blocked in Toronto so it seemed like a good move for them too with that return.
No we can’t have that on HF. Someone has to be the loser and we must mock them for it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For ages 24-28, I like locking in solid D at that price.

Yeah. I don't really care much for Sandin personally, but it's rarely a big mistake to just lock in Top-4D in that sort of price range when they're in their prime. If you want to upgrade somewhere down the line, you can usually still find takers for those sort of contracts on Defencemen in a league that puts a premium on them. Though less so smaller more offensive-oriented guys like Sandin.

Still...hard to go too badly wrong though in that price range.

Reactions: HTFN and Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad