Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] D Rasmus Sandin extension with the Capitals (5 years, $4.6M AAV)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What a shortsighted trade by Dubas
Not really

Sandin isnt better than Rielly and likely wont ever be

He isnt better than McCabe right now either who is #4D

Sandin would have had to wait until 2025-2026 to get a spot on second pairing LHD.

We got a 1st back and drafted Cowan with that who looks really good.

This was a move made based on dubas predicting Sandins value goes down the longer hes a leaf.

Dermott if we dealt after 2019 would have gotten a mid 2nd back but we held on for too long, he got injured, lost his upsdie as he continued to play 3LD and similar styled game

This was a solid move by Dubas at the time which looks stronger due to Cowan being taken (though any of the three-fpur guys around Cowans pick would look great right now)

Sandin isnt a top 4D on a contending team. He is a 4/5D similar to Lilijgren

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I kinda hope he'd take a jump in point production, but he seems like he's more likely to go the Orlov route. That, to me, makes this deal that'll range from either a good deal to a steal pretty quick.
You have to remember in Lavi's system last season, all Caps D-men were scoring more. In Carbery's system, the D aren't as aggressive hence their lower point production.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Nah, Leafs D is not good enough. They shouldn't have traded him in the first place. Caps got a good piece with Sandin for D rental the Leafs didn't re-sign.
Don't necessarily think it was the right move, but this is revisionist. Leafs got their best prospect in Cowan in that deal as well, Gustafsson was the throw in

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I can't even remember what the trade was ( Toronto sent 2018 first-round pick Rasmus Sandin to the Capitals in exchange for veteran defenseman Erik Gustafsson and the Boston Bruins’ 2023 first-round pick.)

Glad he's doing well. Some people want to see their traded draft picks bust when they're moved, I'm not like that.

Was it a bad trade for the Leafs? Well, pretty sure that Boston pick is now Easton Cowen...........so time will tell.

Good trade from the Caps end though. Congrats!

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The fact that he was able to instantly carry a load with Washington suggests he was never used properly in Toronto. He handles 21-22 minutes a game now regularly. But couldn't be trusted with 17 or 18 with the Leafs.

Hope he does well. Seems like a great contract for him, and a fair deal for WSH.
I still don't understand why we never gave him a real shot, I'm happy with what we got in return for him but he definitely wasn't utilized properly. His skating wasn't the greatest but the guy hits like a truck, good passer, great shot and he plays with edge. Happy for Sandman likable player, hopefully he works out in Washington.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
If it wasn't for Wes Clarke, this would have been a real bad move. Good for Rasmus

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I still don't understand why we never gave him a real shot, I'm happy with what we got in return for him but he definitely wasn't utilized properly. His skating wasn't the greatest but the guy hits like a truck, good passer, great shot and he plays with edge. Happy for Sandman likable player, hopefully he works out in Washington.

Sandin was a move I wasn't a fan of but also not the end of the world.

Reactions: Obo and Neil Racki

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
suggests he was never used properly in Toronto.

He was playing behind Reilly and Muzzin, and became 4th on the left side when they later acquired McCabe. Dubas did him a solid and sent him somewhere where he'd be higher on the depth chart.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Seems like the kind of deal that is a tad rich now but with continued player development and salary cap inflation could be a steal in years 2/3-5.

IIRC he had a hot start offensively last year with Carlson out and top PP minutes available. Irregardless, his defensive development this season has been promising which was what prevented him from getting more minutes in Toronto.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Not really

Sandin isnt better than Rielly and likely wont ever be

He isnt better than McCabe right now either who is #4D

Sandin would have had to wait until 2025-2026 to get a spot on second pairing LHD.

We got a 1st back and drafted Cowan with that who looks really good.

This was a move made based on dubas predicting Sandins value goes down the longer hes a leaf.

Dermott if we dealt after 2019 would have gotten a mid 2nd back but we held on for too long, he got injured, lost his upsdie as he continued to play 3LD and similar styled game

This was a solid move by Dubas at the time which looks stronger due to Cowan being taken (though any of the three-fpur guys around Cowans pick would look great right now)

Sandin isnt a top 4D on a contending team. He is a 4/5D similar to Lilijgren
You are allowed to have good players on your third pairing.

Instead the Leafs played Giordano for sub 10 minutes in playoff games last year.

It reminds me of when the Caps shipped out Siegenthaler so Chara could get more ice time. Just extremely short sighted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4