Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
damn lol what's the point if you're not even gonna watch the game. if i missed, say, 2022 game 6 vs Carolina i would hate myself forever, that was one of the best things i've ever seen.
I did this for Liverpool's 4-0 comeback against Barcelona.

I knew we could come back, but it was 78 degrees, I got out of work early, and I was like "I can't do this."

I walked around the city on a beautiful May afternoon watching the goals come in on Google. I was on the train when we tied it. I bolted off the train and hopped in an Uber to the nearest team bar to watch the end, because if we were gonna do this, I was gonna see the end.

I hit traffic and we took the lead as I was walking down the block of the pub. I watched the end at the pub and hugged strangers.

If I could go back and watch it, I wouldn't. Wouldn't change anything.

Personally, I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching high-stakes games on tv. I'm here to be with the people and create memories.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
We outplayed Florida all year. We're not a good matchup for them.
Funny I felt Florida destroyed us this year when we played them. The only game we beat them half their D core was out, and we still barely squeaked by them that game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Funny I felt Florida destroyed us this year when we played them. The only game we beat them half their D core was out, and we still barely squeaked by them that game.
We beat them at MSG and the game we lost in Florida, we had like 150 shots.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I reassess it all the time. It's my drug. I'll be honest I really wish I could quit it and spend my time more productively. There's very little reward and the anger I get at this franchise is not consistent with how happy I am when they win. Rationally speaking I wouldn't watch a minute of this garbage franchise and the Giants. But I'm basically a drug addict. I'm addicted to this team. I hate watch them at this point.

Not sure how helpful this is, but a few years ago I stopped watching every game. I would intentionally make plans over Rangers games or find an excuse to do something else during game time.

It’s a gamechanger. You don’t need to quit cold turkey, you can still post on HF (it’s bizarre when people feel the need to “quit” a message board). Start with a game a week, adjust as necessary.

The playoffs are a different beast. We’re all here for the emotional roller coaster. But no reason the regular season should be such a burden. We’re super fans - even when they win we will find something to be upset about.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
They had 1 bad game in the playoffs out of 9.
This cannot be emphasized enough. This is the first time we've seen a no show from the team in a while. Probably since the Lightning game two months ago and that was a piss poor 2nd and 3rd from them.

It's bound to happen. Is there ever really a good time for this in the postseason? No, but if it happens when you are up 3-1 in a series, you shake your head and just realize they've already won a game in Carolina, could have won both games in Carolina, and know that the Canes have no margin for error moving forward.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
As a professional athlete to be successful at the highest level it is imperative that, YOU HATE TO LOSE MORE THAN YOU LOVE TO WIN. I still haven’t seen that from this core.

Please prove me wrong boys LFG NYR

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Here's some thin gruel that hit me in the shower this A.M.:

No Canadian team has won a cup since the Rangers last won in '94. None of 'em; last one to get one were the 92-93 Habs. And it's their national sport! So you want to talk about epic failures, it does not get more epic than that. And some of those teams have had studs playing for them-The Sedin twins, Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, Alfredsson.

Well, that's not techically true. The Nordiques have won three....but they had to move to Colorado to do it, LOL.

Another thing-if you go back through Hockey Reference to the 94-95 season and forward it's absolutely stunning the number of teams that have lost Game 5 home ice playoff games. I was quite surprised. It's a real thing. Matter of fact it seems to be the common denominator in series that run 7 games.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ugly playoff losses should not call into question the mettle of a team.

The '94 team lost 7 playoff games. They outplayed the Canucks in game 1 and game 1 against the Devils was kind of whatever. All five of the other losses were absolute clown shows.

Up 3-1 with a chance to win the Cup, they got laughed off the ice by Vancouver in back-to-back games.

They won the Cup and nobody cared.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
The simplest explanation is that both teams are very good and this series was always going 6 or 7. The Rangers aren’t choking, it’s moreso the Canes are refusing to roll over.

Oh no no no no no. The Rangers are choking and if they lose this series they will be forever known as choke artists.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Ugly playoff losses should not call into question the mettle of a team.

The '94 team lost 7 playoff games. They outplayed the Canucks in game 1 and game 1 against the Devils was kind of whatever. All five of the other losses were absolute clown shows.

Up 3-1 with a chance to win the Cup, they got laughed off the ice by Vancouver in back-to-back games.

They won the Cup and nobody cared.

yeah and Game 6 of the ECF was one of the most pathetic performances ever for the first 2 periods (except for Mike Richter who played like a god).

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
Ive watched every single Rangers game this year except one where I forgot. Damn it, whyd I have to break my streak. I cant miss watching a game, no way, especially a playoff game.

I even watch the other teams playoff games and during the regular season probably watched about a dozen each islanders and devils games and just other random games. I just like watching hockey on tv. I went to 6 games at msg too. I got my 11 year old son into it so a lot of times he watches with me.

My wife doesnt seem to care that much though. She took a bubble bath during last nights game. I told her this morning, "we havent discussed the elephant in the room, the Rangers lost last night" she said "oh, but theyre so good this year, they made it this far, theyre doing their best."

Maybe shes right in a broad sense. One bad game isnt the end of the world. We'll get it back. I hope.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
yeah and Game 6 of the ECF was one of the most pathetic performances ever for the first 2 periods (except for Mike Richter who played like a god).
Facts.

The Devils just skinned us alive for eight consecutive periods and then we just won the series.

Ladies and gentlemen, momentum.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I did this for Liverpool's 4-0 comeback against Barcelona.

I knew we could come back, but it was 78 degrees, I got out of work early, and I was like "I can't do this."

I walked around the city on a beautiful May afternoon watching the goals come in on Google. I was on the train when we tied it. I bolted off the train and hopped in an Uber to the nearest team bar to watch the end, because if we were gonna do this, I was gonna see the end.

I hit traffic and we took the lead as I was walking down the block of the pub. I watched the end at the pub and hugged strangers.

If I could go back and watch it, I wouldn't. Wouldn't change anything.

Personally, I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching high-stakes games on tv. I'm here to be with the people and create memories.

fair enough. i'm a loner so watching by myself on my big screen tv with my cat is as good as it gets for me.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Another thing lost last night was when the Canes scored to make it 3-1, my 11 year old daughter asked me if she could go to her room. She didn't want to watch anymore. Broke my heart.
I hope you made her watch to toughen her up. Also I have now learned I have the mental fortitude of an 11 year old girl when it comes to the Rangers collapsing. I get to go to my room though because I have suffered enough.

• Haha
Reactions: DoTheBlue

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I hope you made her watch to toughen her up. Also I have now learned I have the mental fortitude of an 11 year old girl when it comes to the Rangers collapsing. I get to go to my room though because I have suffered enough.

I was sympathetic. She doesn't need the torture.

Reactions: Ail

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
yes. whenever i tell her we need a goal either Kreider or Lafreniere always scores.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, we're about to see chips on the line Kreider.

16 goals in 29 games when the Rangers face elimination. The Rangers are 20-9.

Reactions: zlev

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The difference in the last 2 games and the first 3 is the officiating. I'm not blaming the refs - it's just a fact.

Game 1 - 10 penalties called
Game 2 - 14 penalties called
Game 3 - 15 penalties called
Game 4 - 5 penalties called
Game 5 - 6 penalties called

That favors Carolina. The Rangers need to do more in the offensive zone to draw penalties. They need to be more aggressive.

I've calmed down a bit after last night. Not happy with the team, obviously, and I'm mentally preparing for the worst. But at the same time, this team has blown series leads in back to back years. All we can do as fans, since we have no control over it, is hope they've learned from that experience and channel it to come out and win Thursday.

tHeRe Is nO NhL gAmE mAnaGemEnT

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The simplest explanation is that both teams are very good and this series was always going 6 or 7. The Rangers aren’t choking, it’s moreso the Canes are refusing to roll over.

No. That’s not true. Unacceptable. Your simple and obvious take lacks a grand and existentially threatening narrative about the mental constitution of the team and their worth as living organisms.

The players are weak and morally repulsive and the insecurities of my inner psyche have reached out across time and space to connect with those players and have physically manifested into a sleep paralysis demon that sits atop my chest and whispers profanities into mine ear.

Defeat doesn’t happen because one team played better than the other. It happened because my team (which is an extension of my own ego) has lost the Mandate of Heaven and their defeats are proof of God’s malevolence and the impossibility of my absolution.

Eat at Arby’s.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No. That’s not true. Unacceptable. Your simple and obvious take lacks a grand and existentially threatening narrative about the mental constitution of the team and their worth as living organisms.

The players are weak and morally repulsive and the insecurities of my inner psyche have reached out across time and space to connect with those players and have physically manifested into a sleep paralysis demon that sits atop my chest and whispers profanities into mine ear.

Defeat doesn’t happen because one team played better than the other. It happened because my team (which is an extension of my own ego) has lost the Mandate of Heaven and their defeats are proof of God’s malevolence and the impossibility of my absolution.

Eat at Arby’s.
I would listen to this album tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad