Proposal: WPG-NSH

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Fine, but I'm saying if your point is to convince Jets fans worried about Ellis' contract and age by bringing up Wheeler as a comparison, who's contract is not liked by most of the Jets fanbase despite his production, it isn't convincing anyone.
My argument is that it’s possible to be above 30 and still be a good hockey player. Someone in this thread said the last 4-5 years of that Ellis contract is going to be bad and hard to stomach. He’s going to be 31-32 at that time. Is it really sensible to think that a player who has shown no decline in his game and continues to play 24+ minutes a night will randomly decline in a season or two?

Wheeler=Guy well into his 30s who still plays the game well.

Hell, look at what Mike Smith is doing for the Oilers right now.

That is all I’m saying.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm would be the target not Ellis. 2 years at 3.75 and a much easier piece to part with from Nashvilles point of view. First and Heinola.
Of course, the Nashville POV is that Ekholm isn't available at all. Ellis MIGHT be... but also doubtful.

I'd trade Ellis for Heinola and just about nothing else.

I wouldn't trade Ekholm for Heinola and a 1st... I'd still want something a little more.

So that's one sample of a Nashville perspective. Ekholm should be so much more expensive to acquire than Ellis that really, you don't want to try to trade for Ekholm, it wouldn't make any sense for you. Forget about Ekholm. Ellis... eh, maybe, but that's a matter of taste.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Of course, the Nashville POV is that Ekholm isn't available at all. Ellis MIGHT be... but also doubtful.

I'd trade Ellis for Heinola and just about nothing else.

I wouldn't trade Ekholm for Heinola and a 1st... I'd still want something a little more.

So that's one sample of a Nashville perspective. Ekholm should be so much more expensive to acquire than Ellis that really, you don't want to try to trade for Ekholm, it wouldn't make any sense for you. Forget about Ekholm. Ellis... eh, maybe, but that's a matter of taste.
Nashville can keep their d than especially since it’s a buyers market not a seller’s market.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My argument is that it’s possible to be above 30 and still be a good hockey player. Someone in this thread said the last 4-5 years of that Ellis contract is going to be bad and hard to stomach. He’s going to be 31-32 at that time. Is it really sensible to think that a player who has shown no decline in his game and continues to play 24+ minutes a night will randomly decline in a season or two?

Wheeler=Guy well into his 30s who still plays the game well.

Hell, look at what Mike Smith is doing for the Oilers right now.

That is all I’m saying.
He is only 28 now?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He will be 31 at the end of next season (With 5 years remaining on his contract). I think that means he will be 32 the following season (With 4 years left on his contract), feel free to double-check.
Cool so at end of contract he’ll be 36. How many capable 34 yr old are in the league? Not being facetious just curious.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Cool so at end of contract he’ll be 36. How many capable 34 yr old are in the league? Not being facetious just curious.

3 of the current top 15 scorers in the league turn 34 this year. 2 of the top 10 scoring D-men turn 34 this season. That's just with a very quick glance at stats only.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
3 of the current top 15 scorers in the league turn 34 this year. 2 of the top 10 scoring D-men turn 34 this season. That's just with a very quick glance at stats only.
Would be interesting how those players fare in their 35 and 36 year old years as it’s becoming a young man’s league.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Would be interesting how those players fare in their 35 and 36 year old years as it’s becoming a young man’s league.

Barring another pandemic or the like, the cap will be much higher by the time Ellis is 35 and a decline in play won't matter as much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Barring another pandemic or the like, the cap will be much higher by the time Ellis is 35 and a decline in play won't matter as much.
It would matter if it costs us 8 years of Perfetti as I think the window is after wheeler as Ehlers, Dubois and our core is quite young and don’t see us drafting high for a long time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ekholm would be the target not Ellis. 2 years at 3.75 and a much easier piece to part with from Nashvilles point of view. First and Heinola.

I think the Jets need to be very careful with those top prospects.
UFA signings never seem to go well for them and if they play to their potential they won't be drafting high for a while. They need that ELC influx with skill to extend their window.

Chevy needs to find a less risky / expensive way to improve the team.
Anything is possible but I think it would take a heck of a lot to pry Perfetti or Heinola from Chevy.

Reactions: north49er

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

As much as I like Ekholm, Chevy won’t trade Heinola or Perfetti for him. Besides, it creates an expansion protection problem for the Jets. If that is the cost, someone else can pay it

Reactions: north49er

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Makes the Jets better right now but I don't really want to lose Perfetti for Ellis' monster contract

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The story is Poile wants a 1st, an elite prospect + 3rd something for Ekholm. That's not fan's just making something up.

So, in other words, he isn’t interested in trading Ekholm.

Zero chance that the Jets will trade a 1st + Heinola (never mind a third piece on top of that) AND cause expansion draft protection issues on top of all of that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville can keep their d than especially since it’s a buyers market not a seller’s market.
Exactly our hope in Nashville. I don't think we WANT any trade. It's other teams asking. Finding out they don't like the answer. Then.... well then it is SUPPOSED TO BE the other teams/fans move on. But instead it seems like people don't want to just move on. They want a different price anyway. Well, that price isn't available. So... back to: MOVE ON. :)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Zero chance that the Jets will trade a 1st + Heinola (never mind a third piece on top of that) AND cause expansion draft protection issues on top of all of that.
That is what we have been trying to say for over a month now. Nobody listens.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

He's not interested in giving Ekholm away is more like it. And why would he? We are in a playoff spot and have no real need to trade him. That's the thing with all of these rumors, they have pretty much just been that, some click bait deal to get views. Almost none of the Preds rumors have really been tied to anything and in some cases those same people have come back and said so. The whole " untouchable " thing was completely made up. There isn't a player on this roster Poile wouldn't trade except for Josi ( NMC) and Rinne ( loyalty). Everyone else can be had for the right price, but you gotta meet the price and that ain't gonna be a first and some ok prospect, at least not right now anyways.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That is what we have been trying to say for over a month now. Nobody listens.

It's interesting that TSN lists Ekholm as the #1 trade candidate and TSN would be shaking down their contacts to help compile this list.

Perhaps there is just a large disconnect on what Nashville fans think and what is actually going on out there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's interesting that TSN lists Ekholm as the #1 trade candidate and TSN would be shaking down their contacts to help compile this list.

Perhaps there is just a large disconnect on what Nashville fans think and what is actually going on out there.
I think it just means TSN is wrong.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is becoming a younger league but that does not change the fact that veterans have a place. With that said going back to 1915 the average age of retirement of defensemen is 33 years old and forwards 32. Forwards start to lose there effectivness at 27 to 29 and Dmen 29 to 31. 34 year old players are an exception in fact only 2% of players have played a game at the age of 34 from 1915 to today. The pressure to put younger players in the league is influenced the entire league being watered down talent wise by expanding teams. The influx of Euros delayed this for a number of years and allowed for league expansion. Going back to historical stats only 20% of players entering the league have played more than 200 games since 1915. And while the trend is to promote younger and younger players the failure rate of those young guys is greater than the 80% that have historically played 200 games. Yes there are exceptions but even generational talent players have struggled Eichel, McKinnion even Drisital have all had there struggles taking two to three years before performing to there talent level. McDavid and Crosby type guys are very few and far between. Defensemen take even longer when thrust into the league too early. It took Hedman 4 years to break 30 points Ekblad took 6 years to brake 40 points Jones took 5 years to break 40. Now there are some young guys that come out the gate with a huge year and just fizzle out.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
He's not interested in giving Ekholm away is more like it. And why would he? We are in a playoff spot and have no real need to trade him. That's the thing with all of these rumors, they have pretty much just been that, some click bait deal to get views. Almost none of the Preds rumors have really been tied to anything and in some cases those same people have come back and said so. The whole " untouchable " thing was completely made up. There isn't a player on this roster Poile wouldn't trade except for Josi ( NMC) and Rinne ( loyalty). Everyone else can be had for the right price, but you gotta meet the price and that ain't gonna be a first and some ok prospect, at least not right now anyways.

In a compressed schedule, a six game win streak can obviously change what a team wants to do. A week ago or so, Nashville was probably sellers. Now that they have clutched onto the fourth rung to be first round fodder for the Lightning, you probably will not be selling anymore.

Things are obviously very fluid. The guy I just responded to said that Nashville fans were saying for a month that no trades would be contemplated, which is silly because you guys were kinda out of the race until this recent streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad