Proposal: WPG-NSH

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Saw this on Sportsnet and posting it here to see how people on this forum feel about it.

To Winnipeg:
Ryan Ellis (7 years left @ 6.25 Million)

To Nashville
Cole Perfetti (3 years left @ .925 Million)
Mathieu Perreault (1 year left @ 4.125 Million)
2022 3rd Rd Pick

At first glance, I thought the trade was bad for the Jets because they lose a promising C prospect. At second glance, the Jets have Scheifele and PLD up the middle so there would be no need for Perfetti at C in the top 6. I am pretty sure Perfetti can also play LW, but the Jets already Ehlers and Connor there. Not saying he is expendable, but if you had to move someone of value in order for the Jets to contend now, I would think it would be Perfetti. Ellis is 30 but I think you could get 3-4 quality seasons out of him before he starts to decline.

What are your thoughts?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ehlers is a right wing.

Really like Ellis but the contract is difficult for the team to take on. Plus, as has been discussed in almost every Jets' thread, they already need t expose a good D (or an emerging D, Logan Stanely). Adding a guy with term means BOTH a signed D AND Stanley need to be exposed.

Besides, Perfetti is needed as the Jets are currently using Stastny as the #1 LW. With the many skilled, veteran contracts on the roster the Jets need talent on ELC to keep the team competitive for the coming years.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Like others, I just don’t see it as a good fit for the Jets due to a list of reasons. Discussing values is a bit of a moot subject.

Reactions: BatVader

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Saw this on Sportsnet and posting it here to see how people on this forum feel about it.

To Winnipeg:
Ryan Ellis (7 years left @ 6.25 Million)

To Nashville
Cole Perfetti (3 years left @ .925 Million)
Mathieu Perreault (1 year left @ 4.125 Million)
2022 3rd Rd Pick

At first glance, I thought the trade was bad for the Jets because they lose a promising C prospect. At second glance, the Jets have Scheifele and PLD up the middle so there would be no need for Perfetti at C in the top 6. I am pretty sure Perfetti can also play LW, but the Jets already Ehlers and Connor there. Not saying he is expendable, but if you had to move someone of value in order for the Jets to contend now, I would think it would be Perfetti. Ellis is 30 but I think you could get 3-4 quality seasons out of him before he starts to decline.

What are your thoughts?
Ellis is an untouchable as per insiders. This is not happening on any level.

Reactions: G Backup

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
nt4dmfe-gif.400894

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Love how the people who say it makes sense for the Jets are all not jets fans. Well ppl who follow the jets say no I don’t like it. But as a neutral fan this is what you gotta do for your team lol.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Pretty fair value, I think I saw almost this same trade posted in the Winnipeg sun or some similar newspapers article. Ellis’s contract seems a bit high in Covid times but compared to some similar D it’s a pretty good deal. I think both teams come out winners here

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Well, I don’t feel good about it.

I can think of a few trades I’d gladly include Perfetti in, but this isn’t one of them.
This Jets fan passes
Just out of curiosity, who’d you have your eye on?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He recently turned 30, the contract expires when he's 36. Probably not ideal, but also probably not deserving of your scathingly witty "LOL" comment.
Ellis' best attributes as a player, his IQ, vision, passing ability, positioning are all elements unlikely to erode with age. Barring significant injury issues I could see him continuing to be a very effective defenseman at the end of his contract.

Reactions: EK392000

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
That would be pretty terrible for Winnipeg. Trading a 10OA pick for a 30 year old defenseman with a really bad contract. Makes less than zero sense for the Jets and sounds like wishful thinking from a Nashville sportswriter.
He would be the best d man on the Jets and only at 6.25. It’s a great contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00