Proposal: WPG-NSH

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Oh, you think paying him $6.25 until he's 36 is a good contract? I think most would agree that the last 4 year's minimum will be really hard to stomach.
The Jets are paying Wheeler 8.25. He’s 34 now and that contract doesn’t end until he’s 37. He’s still a good player, and because he doesn’t rely on athletic prowess but on vision and hockey IQ, I suspect he will be until he’s 37. I think the same can be said for Ellis.

Some play styles age poorly and some age well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The Jets are paying Wheeler 8.25. He’s 34 now and that contract doesn’t end until he’s 37. He’s still a good player, and because he doesn’t rely on athletic prowess but on vision and hockey IQ, I suspect he will be until he’s 37. I think the same can be said for Ellis.

Same play styles age poorly and some age well.
A difference of opinion I guess. I don't see Ellis' contract aging well and the Jets don't owe him anything, like Wheeler, so there is no reason to pay a premium to take on Ellis and his contract. As you can tell from the replies to this post, there isn't a single Jet fan that would be in favour of this trade.

Even, if the Jets weren't overpaying as in the trade proposal, getting saddled with a hefty contract for an aging player in a flat cap world isn't smart.

Reactions: Fairview

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think he will produce for the lifetime of his contract. I mean sure theres a chance he drops off but I doubt it. 36 isnt that old man.
That's cool. Just a difference of opinion as I stated above. I can see Ellis beginning to not live up to his contract as early as next year.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
That's cool. Just a difference of opinion as I stated above. I can see Ellis beginning to not live up to his contract as early as next year.

At 30? A 24-25 minute a night D-man that has shown no sign of slowing so far will suddenly drop off at age 30? What's the reasoning? Any examples of other top pairing D-men that fell off at age 30?

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Saw this on Sportsnet and posting it here to see how people on this forum feel about it.

To Winnipeg:
Ryan Ellis (7 years left @ 6.25 Million)

To Nashville
Cole Perfetti (3 years left @ .925 Million)
Mathieu Perreault (1 year left @ 4.125 Million)
2022 3rd Rd Pick

At first glance, I thought the trade was bad for the Jets because they lose a promising C prospect. At second glance, the Jets have Scheifele and PLD up the middle so there would be no need for Perfetti at C in the top 6. I am pretty sure Perfetti can also play LW, but the Jets already Ehlers and Connor there. Not saying he is expendable, but if you had to move someone of value in order for the Jets to contend now, I would think it would be Perfetti. Ellis is 30 but I think you could get 3-4 quality seasons out of him before he starts to decline.

What are your thoughts?
I’ll give frost, raffl plus a 2nd

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I’d rather get a rental for defence and then consider our options after the expansion draft.

I’m not fond of adding an older player to a young core (only our Captain is in his 30’s for our core players).

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
At 30? A 24-25 minute a night D-man that has shown no sign of slowing so far will suddenly drop off at age 30? What's the reasoning? Any examples of other top pairing D-men that fell off at age 30?
A little drop off next year isn't the problem. It's the 5 years after that. I guess the best example that comes to mind is Erik Karlsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

TK

Feb 26, 2019
A little drop off next year isn't the problem. It's the 5 years after that. I guess the best example that comes to mind is Erik Karlsson.

The same Karlssson that was once a fantastic skater and had major surgery on his achilles? Injuries started and have led to his decline. I don't see anything similar in Ellis' history, so I'd say that's a pretty poor example. Every player in the NHL regardless of age is one potential injury away from the start of a decline.

Reactions: jellybeans

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The same Karlssson that was once a fantastic skater and had major surgery on his achilles? Injuries started and have led to his decline. I don't see anything similar in Ellis' history, so I'd say that's a pretty poor example. Every player in the NHL regardless of age is one potential injury away from the start of a decline.
Oh, I see. You ask for a comparable example, because you thought one didn't exist and when given one, dismiss it out of hand, just because.

Ellis is out right now for 4 to 6 weeks, how do you know this isn't the beginning of a downtrend for him? Why should Winnipeg sacrifice their top prospect and chance handcuffing their cap for 6 years on something that isn't a sure thing?

The rewards aren't worth the risk.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Poile said he’s not trading Forsberg. You’re about a week behind
Hmmmm...after some digging there are teams still pursuing Forsberg. He originally said he was open to dealing him. We shall see how the team record goes in the next week or so...right now Ekholm is probably the top target but nobody would be shocked if forsberg ended up somewhere else as well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Preds would have no problem whatsoever keeping Ellis and protecting him through the Expansion Draft, and then trading him after. If that helps.

He's a good 1st pair RD, probably worth a little more than he's getting paid currently, but in 3 or 4 years that probably won't be the case anymore. Our main thing is we just have a ton of smaller PMD-style D coming in, so I think it makes A LOT more sense for us to trade Ellis than Ekholm.

Perfetti certainly works. Or something with Frost from Philly. Either of those sound good. Now or in August, whichever.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm pretty sure the Preds would have no problem whatsoever keeping Ellis and protecting him through the Expansion Draft, and then trading him after. If that helps.

He's a good 1st pair RD, probably worth a little more than he's getting paid currently, but in 3 or 4 years that probably won't be the case anymore. Our main thing is we just have a ton of smaller PMD-style D coming in, so I think it makes A LOT more sense for us to trade Ellis than Ekholm.

Perfetti certainly works. Or something with Frost from Philly. Either of those sound good. Now or in August, whichever.
Yep I imagine lots of teams will be in on him as he’s a great player. I just hope it’s not the jets but just my IMO.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
While I wouldn't move Perfetti for Ellis as a neutral fan, I don't think Ellis has a bad contract at all. Most people on here don't know him as a player but he's a small guy that's a good skater but the reason he's effective is his IQ and skills. His contract will be fair throughout.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I’d rather get a rental for defence and then consider our options after the expansion draft.

I’m not fond of adding an older player to a young core (only our Captain is in his 30’s for our core players).

This is the answer (for the Jets).

It makes much more sense if the Jets want to add to this years playoffs to add a cheaper depth D man. Then after the XD, the Jets can look to find a D, and hopefully find one in a position like Toews or Schmidt were in last season.

The Jets then also keep Perfetti, who is playing well in the AHL already, and keep his valuable ELC years (and RFA years) as well.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hmmmm...after some digging there are teams still pursuing Forsberg. He originally said he was open to dealing him. We shall see how the team record goes in the next week or so...right now Ekholm is probably the top target but nobody would be shocked if forsberg ended up somewhere else as well.
Actually he never said anything about trading or being open to trading anyone, that was speculation on the Freidman's part. He even says in the next report that he was speculating using the amount of chatter about Ellis, Rinne's age and Josi's NTC.

“I try to be open with everybody because ... you want to hear what people have to say,” Poile said in a radio interview with 102.5-FM on Tuesday. “So, you don’t want to set up barriers to any conversation. Having said that, I really don’t think ... we have any interest in trading [Forsberg] at this time.”

Poile states he’s not in the trading Filip Forsberg business | Nashville Post

Also, you can hear Freidman talk about his part being speculation here.

News & Notes plus Anton Forsberg’s Amazing Odyssey | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For the Jets, Ellis would be a great pickup...

While his contract is not a bad deal for say the next 4 years.... that term sucks.... Chevy already has enough long term commitments.... see Guffman's comments above further to this...

Watching how our GM Chevy handles payroll and players, particularly valuing a 1st round player such as Perfetti, with obvious upside... a controllable player for years to come...

I don't see this trade happening...

For this upcoming years 1st yes... but not a Perfetti as a young player already demonstrating advanced development and abilities...

Reactions: Huffer

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Actually he never said anything about trading or being open to trading anyone, that was speculation on the Freidman's part. He even says in the next report that he was speculating using the amount of chatter about Ellis, Rinne's age and Josi's NTC.

Poile states he’s not in the trading Filip Forsberg business | Nashville Post

Also, you can hear Freidman talk about his part being speculation here.

News & Notes plus Anton Forsberg’s Amazing Odyssey | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca
This wasn't Friedman it was the NHL network....forsberg was listed as a player most likey available. Hearing the GMs comments sounds like they are not actively shopping but would be open to listening. Listed for Nashville were forsberg ekholm as 1/2. That was last week. Of course things could change but we have all heard iam not actively shopping a player only to see a move made . Seems unlikely but never rule it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad