Proposal: WPG - MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Hello again, it is me with the awful trade proposals back at it again.

I was looking for thoughts on the following trade:

WPG: Nikolaj Ehlers

MTL: Jesperi Kotkaniemi + Jordan Harris

Winnipeg is quite stocked up on winger depth, and lacking at C & D. They could groom Kotkaniemi into the perfect #2 center behind Scheifele as well as Jordan Harris (who's been trending very well since being drafted in 2018) & Habs get a dynamic offensive play driver, something they are sorely lacking.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Personally as a Jets fan I wouldn't do it not b/c Habs pieces aren't good pieces it's just I think a different/acceptable solution can be found without giving up a 1st line winger who is responsible two way player on a great contract. I would politely decline, but good offer by OP. PS: Defence depth is fine/good from a prospect POV.

Last edited:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Those guys might be an add-on to a bigger, better piece, but definitely aren't enough on their own to start a conversation.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Worst proposal ever. I wouldn't even call those MTL players magic beans.

How about MTL trades Gallagher for Barrett Hayton?

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Seeing some answers here that are really throwing me off.

24 year old #1/#2 LW

VS

19 year old future #2C (with #1 possibility) + 19 year old D who safely projects as a serviceable #4-#5

Of course you are banking on potential, but if Kotkaniemi ends up a 50-60 point responsible 2nd line center in 2-3 years, which is a very reasonable ceiling to put on the kid, you'd be winning as WPG. Not to mention the positional fit that both those pieces bring.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

24 year old #1/#2 LW

VS

19 year old future #2C (with #1 possibility) + 21 year old D who safely projects as a serviceable #4-#5

Of course you are banking on potential, but if Kotkaniemi ends up a 50-60 point responsible 2nd line center in 2-3 years, which is a very reasonable ceiling to put on the kid, you'd be winning as WPG. Not to mention the positional fit that both those pieces bring.
Or KK busts or is just a decent 3rd line player. I would say either is just as likely as KK becoming a legit 1C or consistent 60 point player.

Reactions: Snowman

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Arizona wouldn’t do that Gallagher has 1 year left on his contract. Neutral fan here.
Do you think a single Habs fan is going to jump at this trade?

But for you let's give Gallagher a 5 year extension @ 6 million. Do you still make that trade?

Would you consider OP's trade if you were the Jets?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Those guys might be an add-on to a bigger, better piece, but definitely aren't enough on their own to start a conversation.

There’s not one player in Winnipeg that I would trade Kotkaniemi for.

24 year old #1/#2 LW

VS

19 year old future #2C (with #1 possibility) + 21 year old D who safely projects as a serviceable #4-#5

Jordan Harris is 19 years old and we’re going to take our chances on Kotkaniemi. Thanks for your concerns for the kid though

Reactions: Prairie Habs

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ehlers is a terrific player. So dangerous. If the Jets are remotely considering trading him I would hope my GM gets on the phone immediately

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Do you think a single Habs fan is going to jump at this trade?

But for you let's give Gallagher a 5 year extension @ 6 million. Do you still make that trade?

Would you consider OP's trade if you were the Jets?

Why should it matter to us whether Winnipeg consider it or not? We’re not considering it. It’s an easy and instant no. Kotkaniemi is not available. Case closed

Tapdog

Mar 16, 2016
Alberta, Canada

24 year old #1/#2 LW

VS

I get what you are saying but I would think Wpg's core group is entering "Now" mode. Kotkaniemi doesn't cover that gap like Elhers does. I would think if they flip him it will be for someone that fills a position of need in the same age bucket.

Reactions: alasania94

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Not an awful proposal, but Winnipeg really needs that 2C to activate Ehlers and Laine. Even though Ehlers is on a sweet contract, we have cap space to be able to make a move without trading major assets. Kudos for making a proposal that actually considers both teams' needs, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad