Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Well said; Anderson would be a better fit on a team with structured coaching and a finite number of set plays.

It seems every coach has 1-2 players who just can never fit in, which is why I don't always like coaching changes - it invariably leads to having to trade away a player or two at sub-optimal moments in their career.

Somewhat ironically, the best fit I've seen recently for Anderson was with a guy I assume might end up being the next Habs coach, André Tourigny in Arizona, whose team had many set plays off faceoffs and other game situations.

Anderson's 5.5 salary is the problem that you repeatedly ignore. For the player he is, he's not worth 5.5 even in an environment more suited for him.

He's either a swap for another bad contract, heavily retained for 4 years, or he's costing Montreal a couple of 1sts.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Anderson's 5.5 salary is the problem that you repeatedly ignore. For the player he is, he's not worth 5.5 even in an environment more suited for him.

He's either a swap for another bad contract, heavily retained for 4 years, or he's costing Montreal a couple of 1sts.
Mtl has tons of capspace and the gap will increase in the coming years with Armia, Dvo and Savard coming off the books. Price, Gally and Matheson will be up shortly after. This was another bonehead move by a certain BargainBin who went on a spending spree at the end of his tenure. Likely because he wanted to save his job, after he realized that he didn't acquire enough assets previously. I mean a 7 yr contract (38.5 mil) for a guy who never reached 50 points in his career. What were the Habs thinking? You keep him until the contract expires. He's not bad for a third liner.

Reactions: CDN24

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mtl has tons of capspace and the gap will increase in the coming years with Armia, Dvo and Savard coming off the books. Price, Gally and Matheson will be up shortly after. This was another bonehead move by a certain BargainBin who went on a spending spree at the end of his tenure. Likely because he wanted to save his job, after he realized that he didn't acquire enough assets previously. I mean a 7 yr contract (38.5 mil) for a guy who never reached 50 points in his career. What were the Habs thinking? You keep him until the contract expires. He's not bad for a third liner.
They got them to Finals though. Without this terrible long rebuild. Nor trading any of his future, draft picks or prospects. Habs drafted a lot last two drafts Bergs was here. Really hard to do. But he did give out too many bad contracts to get players stay here. Trips to finals not going to be free.

I think losing Weber and Price both killed them. Going by Oilers when McDavid was out. Since he returned they been best in league. So much parity in league

Hopefully this rebuild works out. I think injuries may down us again.

Reactions: RandR

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

yeah I dont think so, HF gets stuff like this wrong all the time. you seem to think all GMs are smart.
strong chance MTL is stuck with him but the cost to move will for sure not be a couple 1sts. 1 would be enough for where MTL is ranked. although that would be a tough pill to swallow for them

I could even see a team take a 2nd++

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
yeah I dont think so, HF gets stuff like this wrong all the time. you seem to think all GMs are smart.
strong chance MTL is stuck with him but the cost to move will for sure not be a couple 1sts. 1 would be enough for where MTL is ranked. although that would be a tough pill to swallow for them

The threshold for a 6M cap dump is a 1st, no? He has a lot of term left. Not sure about actual dollars but its likely over 12 M.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

Yeah. His salary isn't a problem until its a problem. But this talk of having positive value is both comical and sad.

If there's a team that can utilize him, its the Avs. But Colton, Trenin, Wood, and Duhaime all bring something similar but make a fraction of what Anderson makes. And the Avs board is often mentioning trading Colton to make room for the others. Colton plays C and is 1.5 less than Anderson.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

You guys are just sad. First off Cap-wise the Habs are good right now. We can afford to carry both Anderson and Gallagher's contract. Heck even Dvorak's contract is bad but we can survive so no we're not coughing up anything to unload them. I can see us trading most of 'em on TDL's in their UFA's maybe taking an expiring Cap-dump for 2nd's or 3rd's or 4th's depending on the player.

Don't worry haters we'll get a bit of value and just keep on trucking.

Reactions: Miller Time

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The threshold for a 6M cap dump is a 1st, no? He has a lot of term left. Not sure about actual dollars but its likely over 12 M.
yeah but thats for like contending teams. rebuilding teams dont pay to dump cap. normally atleast and especially not 1sts/ low 1sts or multiple low 1sts.

You guys are just sad. First off Cap-wise the Habs are good right now. We can afford to carry both Anderson and Gallagher's contract. Heck even Dvorak's contract is bad but we can survive so no we're not coughing up anything to unload them. I can see us trading most of 'em on TDL's in their UFA's maybe taking an expiring Cap-dump for 2nd's or 3rd's or 4th's depending on the player.

Don't worry haters we'll get a bit of value and just keep on trucking.
lol pretty stupid to say im sad just because Im talking about value. I never really got into why it doesnt make sense for MTL or teams in their position dont make moves like this but sure whatever ya say pal

Reactions: Seanaconda

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Not arguing this. But a Habs fan presented the idea of trading him without it being a dump.
well thats a tough one to sell. maybe Habs dont need to dump cap but in the end thats what it is with how Anderson is playing for that contract

besides only 3 years left. should end just as they should start to improve.

he should be playing better than this for that money though

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Anderson has three years remaining after this year. Habs will still be in the rebuild phase next year so there's no rush to move him just yet. Best thing for them to do is keep Anderson and hope for a bounce back season to rehabilitate his trade value. After that he only has two years remaining, at which point trading with heavy retention or buying him out could be viable options (the same applies to Gallagher, although LTIR might be another option for him in a year or two).

No way offloading his contract costs the Habs multiple firsts, lol.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Winnipeg Jets powerplay before acquiring Sean Monahan: 15.7%. Winnipeg Jets powerplay after acquiring Sean Monahan: 31.3%
PP shooting percentage before Monahan: 11.1% (23g vs 27.4 xG)
PP shooting percentage after Monahan: 23.1% (15g vs 10.4 xG)

I would be willing to wager that most of the variance in their success is just due to having really poor shooting luck before Monahan, and now really really unsustainably good shooting luck with Monahan. Consider the Oilers have only averaged 17% shooting percentage on the PP over the last few years - that 23% will likely regress by about 8-10 points when all is said and done.

Interestingly enough, their PP is now generating shot attempts, shots on goal, high danger chances, and expected goals at significantly lower rates since Monahan joined. But when your shooting percentage jumps by 208%, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Lmao.

Always fun to read the main boards. Only here can you have people so confidently be so wrong.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lmao.

Always fun to read the main boards. Only here can you have people so confidently be so wrong.
Anderson will finish his contract with the Habs if they think they can get value for him. No team is touching it unless an equally bad contract goes back

Reactions: Snowman

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Anderson will finish his contract with the Habs if they think they can get value for him. No team is touching it unless an equally bad contract goes back
Hughes waited too long to trade Anderson. He had a good return on the table couple years ago. Wouldn't trade Anderson

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Love Money! Hope he kills it in the playoffs and more importantly continues his run of good health!

At the time of the trade, Jets fans were up in arms at the horror of giving up a 1st for Monahan. Now, you see what Habs fans were seeing. You got more than enough value for that 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Monahan had terrible luck but he also has some advantages
-His game was never about speed, it was always about poise and decision making. Monahan's best attributes all age well
-Yes he missed a bunch of games in his prime, but that also means he's missing years of wear and tear while still training/re-habbing so its not like he fell out of shape
-He's had the benefit of the best sports medicine money can buy, so if anyone is going to bounce back its a top athlete getting that treatment.

I hope he has a great playoffs

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
As a Flames fan in Calgary, I am delighted to see Monahan succeed after the physical beating he took in front of the net in Calgary. If his story resembles Teemu Selanne's and Gary Roberts' stories (injured to the point of career over, rising refreshed after time off to new glory) then I am happy.

I hope he and the Jets can work something out. He has been a good fit there, so hopefully he doesn't chase possible higher money elsewhere and regret it if it doesn't work as well as now.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
As a Flames fan in Calgary, I am delighted to see Monahan succeed after the physical beating he took in front of the net in Calgary. If his story resembles Teemu Selanne's and Gary Roberts' stories (injured to the point of career over, rising refreshed after time off to new glory) then I am happy.

I hope he and the Jets can work something out. He has been a good fit there, so hopefully he doesn't chase possible higher money elsewhere and regret it if it doesn't work as well as now.
I’d like to get him back tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad