Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele - (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Posted this in the other thread but thought it was funny how everyone called him a huge reach when the Jets took him over Couts and Hamilton.

And now he's the best player taken in that entire first round.

That first round contains some woof worthy players (Siemens, Biggs), but Huberdeau, Landeskog, Couturier, and Scheifele highlight the forward crop taken. Very weak draft overall, though.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Seems like a calculated risk with a very strong chance of paying off for Winnipeg. A little extra now with the potential for a bigger saving in the near future.
Good deal for both parties really.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He has one good season and one great season. Along with a solid rookie year.

I think the only 2 players that can claim great seasons this year are Kane and Karlsson, and maybe Burns. Saying anybody else did only cheapens the word great

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Posted this in the other thread but thought it was funny how everyone called him a huge reach when the Jets took him over Couts and Hamilton.

And now he's the best player taken in that entire first round.

Easy now my man I would not be putting a crown on his head yet. There is clearly more to hockey than scoring. I just wanted to say congrats and hope this contract pans out for the jets. Then I saw what you said and had to add my two cents.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Mark Scheifele was 22 last year :shakehead 29 goals

Nope. The words 'great season' are now in the same stratosphere as 'generational'. Can't use them to discuss how a player does relative to his peers.

Easy now my man I would not be putting a crown on his head yet. There is clearly more to hockey than scoring. I just wanted to say congrats and hope this contract pans out for the jets. Then I saw what you said and had to add my two cents.

Good thing he has the 2nd highest possession numbers relative to teammates on the Jets.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
good contract imo, not sure how anybody can say its not, back to back solid seasons and was named to u24 north america team.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
was just listening to TSN 1290 and they tossed out this juicy stat. after the allstar break Sheifele had the 3rd morst points only behind Crosby and Thorton. First half he was playing on the second line until Little got injured. :naughty:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

It's a good thing Scheifele brings a lot more than scoring then, isn't it?

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
This low ceiling has really brought a different dynamic to contracts this summer. So many young kids getting locked up for $6ish on term. Very interesting. I think this deal will turn out great for the Jets. They'll be contenders sooner than later. Congrats.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Landeskog is only one close to Scheifele from the first round and Scheifele was better last year + is a center.

I'd have Scheifele 3rd overall from that draft class, behind Gaudreau and Kucherov and ahead of Landeskog and RNH

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Scheifele-heads-up-ice-300x200.jpg

Entire Mark Scheifele conference call.

To listen click here.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Landeskog is only one close to Scheifele from the first round and Scheifele was better last year + is a center.

I'd have Scheifele 3rd overall from that draft class, behind Gaudreau and Kucherov and ahead of Landeskog and RNH

tbf landy is a very strong two way player with great leadership qualities(not saying schief doesnt have them just pointing out landys). i lie scheif and would say there about equal right now for me but yeah hes a top (4 for me) 5 pick from the draft for sure. Take away the overagers and hes probably 1 or 2.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Who would you say is better?

i'd pick Landeskog and Couturier over Scheifele and i'd suppose the difference there is probably how we view value in a player, but he's my #3. I still have faith in RNH but he's behind the pack for now.

theres still a chance that scheifele takes it to another level in winnipeg and outclasses a few other draft mates. i do believe hes capable of that, but imo the other players i mentioned are just more likely to find that growth.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I know outside of the ants it might seem high but Schiefele is about as safe a bet to pan out at this point as you can get. Unreal work ethic and always striving to improve. So fitting such a well spoken and driven individual was the first player taken after the move.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
i'd pick Landeskog and Couturier over Scheifele and i'd suppose the difference there is probably how we view value in a player, but he's my #3. I still have faith in RNH but he's behind the pack for now.

theres still a chance that scheifele takes it to another level in winnipeg and outclasses a few other draft mates. i do believe hes capable of that, but imo the other players i mentioned are just more likely to find that growth.

I see where you're coming from, even though I'd take Scheifele over both Couturier and Landeskog. However, I definitely don't think it's outrageous to say that Scheifele is the best 1st round pick from that draft.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg

wow please just stop, you obviously have never watched Mark play a single game. :shakehead

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
As long as he continues on his path this will be a fantastic deal for WPG. Surprised they were able to buy his prime years for such a small amount... relative to market

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00