Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele - (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Funny how he turned out so good, everyone was stunned when the drafted him, goes to show you scouts see things and grab their guy. I remember telling a Jet fan a few years ago be patient, this kid has the skills.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
To me this is a great deal for the Jets and could look way better in a few years if he continues to grow his game in the next few years.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Funny how he turned out so good, everyone was stunned when the drafted him, goes to show you scouts see things and grab their guy. I remember telling a Jet fan a few years ago be patient, this kid has the skills.

Everyone was stunned that Couturier got passed (again). Schief is a beauty, he will be earning this money sooner than later for sure

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The sheriff is staying in the Peg. 6 is just about perfect it seems. Budding young #1C and fits the team perfectly

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Our near-future leader on a sweetheart contract. This is gonna be a bargain within 3 years, and I couldn't be happier that he's committed for the full 8. Great deal for Scheifele, TNSE and the fans!

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This is a great deal for us!

Scheifele has embraced the city.

He is totally committed to the game and to his personal fitness.

He even watched the scrimmage at the Jets prospect camp this week.

I am super pumped!

tumblr_n8m1c8sJzQ1tfmghto1_400.gif

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This is a great deal for us!

Scheifele has embraced the city.

He is totally committed to the game and to his personal fitness.

He even watched the scrimmage at the Jets prospect camp this week.

I am super pumped!

tumblr_n8m1c8sJzQ1tfmghto1_400.gif

His participation in the franchise as a mentor really surprised me - he's the one seen around all the rookies (ex. golf picture with Laine). Apparently drafting Kyle Connor, as much of a no-brainer as it was, was due to Chef's input. His hockey knowledge is off the charts, and he works extremely hard to improve.

So, 6.125x8 doesn't just buy a player, it buys you a major voice, mind and role model for the franchise.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Scheifele is a player who I could just see continue to progress until he's near the very top of the scoring leaders year in and year out.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I'd rather have him than nuge and nuge makes 6 mill.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
The last year or so , you could really see Scheifele's body, in terms of strength...catching up with his brain.

When Little went down....Mark took the #1 center slot and really ran with it. Has one of the best wrist shots in the league, and was more willing to use it.

His intangibles, in terms of hockey IQ, work ethic, and dedication to the game, are off the charts....

A building block for the Jets, going forward....locked up until age 31...

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Lol, some jealousy going on in this thread.

Congrats Winnipeg fans, just think, you get 8 more YEARS of this kid. :)

Will be a fun 8 years to watch no doubt

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Love the player, don't like these kind of high risk high reward contracts. I think he is the kind of player to extend an 8 year deal to, but I wouldn't do it.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
I don't think you could find a Jets fan who doesn't believe Scheifele is a top end talent. The Jets board is like a bunch of school girls at a boy band concert.

Post of the year ^

was just listening to TSN 1290 and they tossed out this juicy stat. after the allstar break Sheifele had the 3rd morst points only behind Crosby and Thorton. First half he was playing on the second line until Little got injured. :naughty:

Here's a better one, he led the entire league in points after Bryan Little went down over the last 25 games of the Jets season (Feb 19th onward).
c1aaa5b0dd03cccdde4e9f40c9424bd6.png

I wonder if he'll score even more with Laine on his wing?:jk:

A Finnish scout was wondering how much better Laine was going to look with Scheifele as his center.:amazed:

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
His participation in the franchise as a mentor really surprised me - he's the one seen around all the rookies (ex. golf picture with Laine).

I'm obviously biased but somehow I see something special in that relationship already. It's funny that all Spring long it was Barkov, Laine's center from the NT, to whose contract Scheifele was in hopefulness projected to, and then he goes on to make it an even more team-friendly one. They're like a new kind of breed of 1Cs who come a little bit from the bushes and want to leave their team with cap space to be competitive for their prime.

I don't know if they've made their conclusions partially on seeing the Blackhawks' having those big contracts that now force them now to unload some of their 2nd tier talent for cap concerns.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A big signing by the Jets. Really like the deal, the length and the player. Very committed to Winnipeg, the Mgt, and the players. A+

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looking back at that 2011 draft he wasn't even really ranked to go anywhere. But his forward progression was obviously there and just continues to be there. He's on the u24 team this fall ... this time last year he was likely not even in the conversation. Next step all-star. I can see it now him being our guy at the 16-17 ASG.

The guy does everything you expect a pro to do. He still makes it clear this is Buff and Wheels team. But he also shows in bringing Laine to WPG for his kidsport camp and golf tourney that he's ready to step into that "mature" guys role. It wouldn't surprise me if he continues that in the fall by letting Laine move in with him while he gets used to North America.

Chipman and Thompson realize they got a special guy here by letting Chevy go after an 8 year deal. Sheif shows the guy he is by not only wanting the 8 years, but also likely leaving several millions on the table by accepting it and staying in the Peg. once McD, Eichel, Matthews and Laine push the bar higher, Landescog and Sheif deals will look like a bargain for their last 4 or 5 years.... The way the cap is going and the way he's strives to get better, there's no doubt in my mind he's +$10M/per by year 5 on....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking back at that 2011 draft he wasn't even really ranked to go anywhere. But his forward progression was obviously there and just continues to be there. He's on the u24 team this fall ... this time last year he was likely not even in the conversation. Next step all-star. I can see it now him being our guy at the 16-17 ASG.

The guy does everything you expect a pro to do. He still makes it clear this is Buff and Wheels team. But he also shows in bringing Laine to WPG for his kidsport camp and golf tourney that he's ready to step into that "mature" guys role. It wouldn't surprise me if he continues that in the fall by letting Laine move in with him while he gets used to North America.

Chipman and Thompson realize they got a special guy here by letting Chevy go after an 8 year deal. Sheif shows the guy he is by not only wanting the 8 years, but also likely leaving several millions on the table by accepting it and staying in the Peg. once McD, Eichel, Matthews and Laine push the bar higher, Landescog and Sheif deals will look like a bargain for their last 4 or 5 years.... The way the cap is going and the way he's strives to get better, there's no doubt in my mind he's +$10M/per by year 5 on....

Agreed. He is one of the reasons why I have said many times here. The Jets under Hillier are the best drafting team in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->