Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele - (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
This was pretty much the term and amount expected/predicted by many of the Jets fans. The Trouba signing will be the more contentious one.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Bit surprised that the aav isn't higher.

Saad, Forsberg, and Barkov all signed 6 year deal for $6 million per. Figured he would get closer to $6.5 by giving up 2 additional UFA years.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I remember when everyone questioned the pick at the draft...well no one is questioning it now. Good signing for a good player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bit surprised that the aav isn't higher.

Saad, Forsberg, and Barkov all signed 6 year deal for $6 million per. Figured he would get closer to $6.5 by giving up 2 additional UFA years.

I think Scheifele is the kind of kid that is telling his agent, that's good let's sign.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well there goes my hopes of getting Galchenyuk signed for under 6.

Why???

Most deals hover right around the 1 million = 10 points in order to be good deals. Galchenyuk just had 56 points in 82 games...so 5.6 is fair. But if they think he will be a 60 points guy, then yeah, expect around 6.

Scheifele just had 61 in 71 games....so a 70 point pace. Him getting 6.125 is good even if he drops down to the 61 point pace.

Good deal for the Jets and security for Scheifele. Win/win.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
A great deal, 8 year for 6 mil, he is go be an first line player for a long time in Jets.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Nice to see a measured, logical take in a sea of steals and overpayments.

The contract makes a ton of sense for both Scheifele and the Jets the day it was signed. That's all you can ask.

We've seen better players fail to live up to contracts than this. We've seen worse players exceed deals like these.

Winnipeg is always going to have difficulty drawing in talent from outside the org, and will occasionally have difficulty retaining their own talent. When they have a good young player willing to commit to them long term, especially when the organizational talent as a whole is on the upswing, they have to be willing to role the dice. They got the ball rollign with Byfuglien. Now with Schief providing stability up front going forward it should make the team more attractive down the road for when Ehlers and others are up for new deals.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I don't like the deal really has had only one good season

No, he actully got some decente players to play with instead of draging around black hole Stafford, that is why he exploded.

If they keep Scheif Ehlers and Wheeler togheter this year, I expect him to be closer to 70 points. He and Laine in PP will be lethal

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Posted this in the other thread but thought it was funny how everyone called him a huge reach when the Jets took him over Couts and Hamilton.

And now he's the best player taken in that entire first round.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Posted this in the other thread but thought it was funny how everyone called him a huge reach when the Jets took him over Couts and Hamilton.

And now he's the best player taken in that entire first round.

pump the brakes there buddy, i wouldn't go that far

Mad Brills*

I'd be over the moon if Matthews gets this contract in 2019, assuming he does similar to how Mark has.

Great deal for the jets!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad